This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So what games have absolutely IMPACTED the gaming Industry?

#41OtakuGameraPosted 12/10/2012 9:41:49 AM
it hasnt happen yet but it might

DOA5 - jiggle physics
---
PSVita no games? http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/64767381
http://www.atlus.com/res/p4g_faithful_reviews_1.jpg
#42servb0tsPosted 12/10/2012 9:41:51 AM
servb0ts posted...
pjnelson posted...
Super Mario Bros. - All side-scrolling platformer owes everything to Mario.
Wolfenstein 3D - All first-person shooters including Halo owe all to Wolfenstein.
Super Mario 64 - Not the first 3D game, but the most-influential, setting the standards of all 3D platformers to follow. It shown how useful analog control was for play in a true 3D environment (PlayStation didn't adopt analog sticks yet) and though N64 lacked a right stick it used camera buttons to control the camera with your right hand.
Super Smash Bros. - There wouldn't be a PlayStation all-star game if not for SSB.
Super Mario Kart - All kart games took their cues from Mario.
Star Fox - Pioneered 3D (polygonal) gaming for consoles on the SNES, before Saturn or PlayStation and with Genesis unable to respond.

killak posted...
Super Mario Bros brought gaming back to life.

in America

And 224 other countries; pretty much everywhere but Japan, as gaming only really held on in Japan until Nintendo saved it.

^^All this and regardless of Gamers opinion of Nintendo Bashing and Mario hating, Without Nintendo NES, gaming wouldn't have existed because it had already crashed and almost extinct to Arcades.

Also it wasn't first but Castlevania Simon's Quest set the bar for Day & Night time in games. Zelda OOT 3D gaming excelled in it mechaniacs and Time Warping both very influencial.

NES Metroid set the Bar for Metroidvania, SNES Super Metroid excelled it with extra features, Metroid Prime made Ground Breaking FPS/Adventure cross over.

Final Fantasy XI was 1st MMO to have jobs and sub jobs, Everquest might have started real main job mechanics that flowed well in online community but FFXI excelled in subjob department in every way. FFXI cameout way before WOW incase haters didn't know.

Wii Sport was also innovating, and PS2 Kinetic was first, but Xbox 360 made it popular, not greater or excelling it just popular.

---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems. 08/18/11 R.I.P Megaman Legends 3
-PS3 FFXIV ARR 2.0 Day 1 Buy I can't wait to maxout Summoner
#43OrangeSchweesePosted 12/10/2012 9:44:02 AM
servb0ts posted...

Final Fantasy XI was 1st MMO to have jobs and sub jobs, Everquest might have started real main job mechanics that flowed well in online community but FFXI excelled in subjob department in every way. FFXI cameout way before WOW incase haters didn't know.

D&D is where sub-classes originated
#44theshovellerPosted 12/10/2012 9:44:51 AM
Wolfenstein first "created" the stealth game. I mean the original Wolfenstein, not Wolf 3D.
#45stawg007Posted 12/10/2012 9:48:06 AM
Metal Gear Solid - set the bar for stealth, cinematics, story, voice acting etc
---
GT: lPayneToTheMaxl
#46servb0tsPosted 12/10/2012 9:49:06 AM
OrangeSchweese posted...
servb0ts posted...

D&D is where sub-classes originated

I'm aware of the originated that with 3-12 sided dice, paper and imagination, I used to play that with friends but in a D&D videogame?
---
#47OrangeSchweesePosted 12/10/2012 9:53:15 AM(edited)
servb0ts posted...
I'm aware of the originated that with 3-12 sided dice, paper and imagination, I used to play that with friends but in a D&D videogame?

No, but I don't think FFXI had an impact on the MMO genre. That goes to EQ and WoW, which play nothing like FF.

Oh, and that reminds me of Phantasy Star Online. I'm pretty sure that had some kind of impact.
#48AnonUnknownPosted 12/10/2012 9:54:37 AM
OutRun
#49servb0tsPosted 12/10/2012 9:56:43 AM
OrangeSchweese posted...
servb0ts posted...

No, but I don't think FFXI had an impact on the MMO genre. That goes to EQ and WoW, which play nothing like FF.

Oh, and that reminds me of Phantasy Star Online. I'm pretty sure that had some kind of impact.

To me FFXI has, Yes I love Everquest and all its mechanics. FFXI impacted in MMO, to my knowledge had awesome CGI cutscenes that involved your charactser and story telling, I don't recall Everquest doing this, on the PC. and Phanatasy Star Online was awesome as well.
---
#50PorkmonPosted 12/10/2012 10:07:21 AM
servb0ts posted...
^^All this and regardless of Gamers opinion of Nintendo Bashing and Mario hating, Without Nintendo NES, gaming wouldn't have existed because it had already crashed and almost extinct to Arcades.

Also it wasn't first but Castlevania Simon's Quest set the bar for Day & Night time in games. Zelda OOT 3D gaming excelled in it mechaniacs and Time Warping both very influencial.

NES Metroid set the Bar for Metroidvania, SNES Super Metroid excelled it with extra features, Metroid Prime made Ground Breaking FPS/Adventure cross over.

Wii Sport was also innovating, and PS2 Kinetic was first, but Xbox 360 made it popular, not greater or excelling it just popular.

Nice fallacy there mate.

While I agree the NES helped revitalize (or even resurrect) video games in the US (and possibly in the rest of the world), it's illogical to affirm that the way something has happened, is the only way it could have happened.

I like the NES but I don't believe video games wouldn't exist nowadays, or be the way they are today, without it.