This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So what games have absolutely IMPACTED the gaming Industry?

#71Overlord HikashPosted 12/10/2012 12:13:09 PM
ET. More than almost anything, ET.
---
100% CJ = 100% victory
tbh, Chris Johnson should go back... to Mount Olympus. - Bio_Insanity
#72ViraugePosted 12/10/2012 12:32:49 PM(edited)
turkishtickler posted...
Goldeney - Every multiplayer FPS is built from this formula, imo.

To which Goldeneye was built from the More popular Quake. Every multiplayer FPS is built from Quake, most FPS use a heavily modified Quake engine, not Goldeneye engine.

deus_clivio posted...
League of Legends, Guild Wars 2, etc.: Proving that free to play is the new standard.

Might want to check Maplestory. It's one of, if not the most successful F2P game. It paved the way for f2p games like GW2 and LoL.
#73MlREFOXPosted 12/10/2012 12:30:43 PM
Not a chance either Gears or Vanquish impacted anything. There was cover long before Gears, and I don't see how the "sliding" mechanic has either changed anything or even spread into the industry.
#74GeminiX7Posted 12/10/2012 12:34:48 PM
LenneValkirye posted...
FFXIII: broke most of the cliches of the JRPG genre. Which is good because it was incredibly stagnant.

Broke? That game was literally every JRPG/anime trope and cliche rolled into a single game, minus the gameplay. And this is coming from someone who enjoys tons of Japanese media. That game seemed so phoned in they might as well just wrote a list of every stereotype they could think of and put it in the case with some pretty pictures rather than the disk.
---
"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
#75Jahkeemyork(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2012 12:36:09 PM
MlREFOX posted...
Not a chance either Gears or Vanquish impacted anything. There was cover long before Gears, and I don't see how the "sliding" mechanic has either changed anything or even spread into the industry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cover_system
http://www.giantbomb.com/cover-system/92-55/

Gears definitely did.
#76OrangeSchweesePosted 12/10/2012 12:41:48 PM(edited)
Virauge posted...
turkishtickler posted...
Goldeney - Every multiplayer FPS is built from this formula, imo.

To which Goldeneye was built from the More popular Quake. Every multiplayer FPS is built from Quake, most FPS use a heavily modified Quake engine, not Goldeneye engine

I think he was only trying to say that Goldeneye had an impact on console multiplayer gameplay.

The Quake engine was highly influential, though. (Half-Life, CS, etc.)

Oh, and how could I forget that the original CoD was on the Quake 3 engine...

Also, if we're gonna trace stuff back to its roots, then Unreal and its engine deserve a mention, for spawning its subsequent engines and all the games that run on them.
#77MlREFOXPosted 12/10/2012 12:44:22 PM
Jahkeemyork posted...
MlREFOX posted...

Gears definitely did.

Did you even read those (also, lol Wikipedia). Gears is barely mentioned in the article and dozens of games are credited with cover long before Gears. What a fail link that was, because it just proves my point, not yours.

And I'm not a 21-year-old kid. I've been around a lot longer and have been gaming a lot longer. Giving me a Wikipedia entry is not going to somehow erase my memory of the myriad games I played long before Gears that had cover. Just because you canme to the party late doesn't make your experiences the seminal ones.
#78GeminiX7Posted 12/10/2012 12:44:55 PM
People seem to be taking this topic as "Which is your favorite games and what was memorable about them?" or "What game did this FIRST?!" It's about the games that had the biggest impact on the industry, and how they "changed the game"

For instance:

Goldeneye: Made the console FPS a viable option. It wasn't the first console shooter, or the(IMO) best one, but it was the first to get super popular and it's formula was copied many times over.

World of Warcraft: One of the first MMOs to have widespread appeal, reaching just about every demographic. It took the MMO outside of the niche market to an extent that very few others in the genre have been able to reproduce. Everquest was the first, and it's arguable that its the founder of the modern format of the MMO(compared to games like RO, Ultima Online, etc).

Super Mario 64: Helped make 3D platforms a standard in the industry. For the most part, aside from a few other games, most didn't think much of 3D platforming, as 2D sprites almost always looked better than the 3D models of the time. SM64 changed that with its detail, color and design.

I can agree with the cover system being heavily influenced by GoW even if it wasn't technically the first, just the most popular and most emulated. But the whole Vanquish thing is nonsense. Not to say it didn't "revolutionalize" the sliding mechanic. It's just that the mechanic isn't exactly a big thing for gaming and didn't really have much of an impact on the industry as a whole.
---
"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
#79ThePatrickPosted 12/10/2012 12:47:11 PM
Pong
Breakout
Space Invaders
Pac-Man
Final Fantasy
Super Mario Bros. (probably the biggest)
Zelda
Street Fighter II
Doom

I dunno, like a whole mess of others
---
Ryuuga Gotoku (Yakuza) series text FAQs available at GameFAQs
PSN: hatoriki_kai, XBL: hatoriki, YouTube: ryled, Twitter: @Hatoriki, Me: Bored
#80Jahkeemyork(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2012 12:50:24 PM(edited)
MlREFOX posted...
Jahkeemyork posted...
MlREFOX posted...

Gears definitely did.

Did you even read those (also, lol Wikipedia). Gears is barely mentioned in the article and dozens of games are credited with cover long before Gears. What a fail link that was, because it just proves my point, not yours.

And I'm not a 21-year-old kid. I've been around a lot longer and have been gaming a lot longer. Giving me a Wikipedia entry is not going to somehow erase my memory of the myriad games I played long before Gears that had cover. Just because you canme to the party late doesn't make your experiences the seminal ones.

" Gears of War later refined this mechanic and was very well received by the gaming press, to the point that nearly every third-person shooter released after Gears of War has incorporated this mechanic."

That's all that's needed. It didn't CREATE it but it did Popularize it A.K.A it was the one. gg nice try. There are many mechanics that were done in that list before those games did them. But the ones that CREATED it aren't the same ones that popularized it. Yes Kill Switch's was the inspiration for Gears of War's cover system. But was Kill Switch the one that made it almost a standard point for 3rd person shooters? Nope.