This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So what games have absolutely IMPACTED the gaming Industry?

#81theshovellerPosted 12/10/2012 11:51:16 AM
Suffurix posted...
Final Fantasy VII: Made RPGs recognized as a respectable genre rather than just a niche genre.

They weren't a niche genre before, though - I can name a ton of RPGs available on systems in the US before FF7 came out.

That said, I wouldn't discount FF7 entirely - I'd say it was the first big example of an RPG that was a "cinematic masterpiece," and being cutscene-heavy. Maybe even the first big successful attempt to get casual gamers interested in a relatively hardcore game.
#82MlREFOXPosted 12/10/2012 11:52:05 AM
Jahkeemyork posted...
MlREFOX posted...
Jahkeemyork posted...
MlREFOX posted...
Not a chance either Gears or Vanquish impacted anything. There was cover long before Gears, and I don't see how the "sliding" mechanic has either changed anything or even spread into the industry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cover_system
http://www.giantbomb.com/cover-system/92-55/

Gears definitely did.

Did you even read those (also, lol Wikipedia). Gears is barely mentioned in the article and dozens of games are credited with cover long before Gears. What a fail link that was, because it just proves my point, not yours.

And I'm not a 21-year-old kid. I've been around a lot longer and have been gaming a lot longer. Giving me a Wikipedia entry is not going to somehow erase my memory of the myriad games I played long before Gears that had cover. Just because you canme to the party late doesn't make your experiences the seminal ones.

" Gears of War later refined this mechanic and was very well received by the gaming press, to the point that nearly every third-person shooter released after Gears of War has incorporated this mechanic."

That's all that's needed. It didn't CREATE it but it did Popularize it A.K.A it was the one. gg nice try. There are many mechanics that were done in that list before those games did them. But the ones that CREATED it aren't the same ones that popularized it. Yes Kill Switch's was the inspiration for Gears of War's cover system. But was Kill Switch the one that made it almost a standard point for 3rd person shooters? Nope.

Except Gears didn't even popularize it, and quoting Wikipedia doesn't change that. You really don't understand the history of this industry at all.
#83supermoc10Posted 12/10/2012 11:53:16 AM
Halo: Combat Evolved
Grand Theft Auto III
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
---
PSN & Xbox Live: supermoc10
"Mr Zurkon does NOT come in peace"
#84anonymous46773Posted 12/10/2012 11:53:56 AM
Super Mario Bros (NES) - Pretty much gaming in general
---
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
#85Jahkeemyork(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2012 11:54:39 AM
MlREFOX posted...
Jahkeemyork posted...
MlREFOX posted...
Jahkeemyork posted...
MlREFOX posted...
Not a chance either Gears or Vanquish impacted anything. There was cover long before Gears, and I don't see how the "sliding" mechanic has either changed anything or even spread into the industry.

Gears definitely did.

Did you even read those (also, lol Wikipedia). Gears is barely mentioned in the article and dozens of games are credited with cover long before Gears. What a fail link that was, because it just proves my point, not yours.

And I'm not a 21-year-old kid. I've been around a lot longer and have been gaming a lot longer. Giving me a Wikipedia entry is not going to somehow erase my memory of the myriad games I played long before Gears that had cover. Just because you canme to the party late doesn't make your experiences the seminal ones.

" Gears of War later refined this mechanic and was very well received by the gaming press, to the point that nearly every third-person shooter released after Gears of War has incorporated this mechanic."

That's all that's needed. It didn't CREATE it but it did Popularize it A.K.A it was the one. gg nice try. There are many mechanics that were done in that list before those games did them. But the ones that CREATED it aren't the same ones that popularized it. Yes Kill Switch's was the inspiration for Gears of War's cover system. But was Kill Switch the one that made it almost a standard point for 3rd person shooters? Nope.

Except Gears didn't even popularize it, and quoting Wikipedia doesn't change that. You really don't understand the history of this industry at all.

Not quoted from Wikipedia first of all.

And ok list me a game that popularized the cover system?
#86jubjub360Posted 12/10/2012 11:55:01 AM
MlREFOX posted...
Jahkeemyork posted...
MlREFOX posted...
Jahkeemyork posted...
MlREFOX posted...

Gears definitely did.

The point of this topic is games that absolutely IMPACTED the gaming industry. Gears of War did that.
---
F*** yo' MLA! It's all about that APA!
http://i.imgur.com/JF8gG.jpg
#87OrangeSchweesePosted 12/10/2012 11:55:25 AM
God of War - Raised the bar on cinematic gameplay.

Prince of Persia introduced the whole "parkour" thing. And possibly popularized QTE's.

Gran Turismo - Racing sims.

The Sims - Social gaming
#88OrangeSchweesePosted 12/10/2012 11:57:50 AM
jubjub360 posted...
The point of this topic is games that absolutely IMPACTED the gaming industry. Gears of War did that.

Yep. Just like how someone mentioned System Shock 2 in place of Bioshock. SS2 may have come first, but Bioshock had a far greater impact.
#89jubjub360Posted 12/10/2012 11:58:43 AM
OrangeSchweese posted...
jubjub360 posted...

Yep. Just like how someone mentioned System Shock 2 in place of Bioshock. SS2 may have come first, but Bioshock had a far greater impact.

Exactly. I'm about to post this long message about games that impacted the gaming industry and I might get a few lolnoes in the process for it but it really has.
---
F*** yo' MLA! It's all about that APA!
http://i.imgur.com/JF8gG.jpg
#90MlREFOXPosted 12/10/2012 12:03:05 PM
OrangeSchweese posted...
jubjub360 posted...

Except that isn't true. It may have had a greater perceived impact on your part, but any gamer who has been PC gaming for years would not put claim Bioshock as more impactful than System Shock 2.

It seems to me that the kids who just started gaming this generation have a skewed idea of what games actually have had the impacts on the industry. Sure, if you just graduated high school and the 360 was your first console, Gears, Oblivion, Bioshock, etc. may have had the biggest impact on your perception of the industry, but just because you are deficient in your understanding does not make your perceptions so.