This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So what games have absolutely IMPACTED the gaming Industry?

#91ShadowBanjoPosted 12/10/2012 12:03:43 PM(edited)
Thief: Introduced a vast majority of modern Stealth mechanics, it was the first real stealth game. I'd say it definitely had a lot of influence on Stealth games today.
#92theshovellerPosted 12/10/2012 12:05:52 PM
jubjub360 posted...
OrangeSchweese posted...
jubjub360 posted...
The point of this topic is games that absolutely IMPACTED the gaming industry. Gears of War did that.

Yep. Just like how someone mentioned System Shock 2 in place of Bioshock. SS2 may have come first, but Bioshock had a far greater impact.

Exactly. I'm about to post this long message about games that impacted the gaming industry and I might get a few lolnoes in the process for it but it really has.

I was going to post a big thing about how those two aren't really related, but decided against it. Instead, I will simply state System Shock 2 and Deus Ex (the first one) on genre-bending first-person shooter games with RPGs, with Borderlands probably being one of the recent "big examples" of this.
#93Jahkeemyork(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2012 12:06:58 PM(edited)
MlREFOX posted...
OrangeSchweese posted...
jubjub360 posted...
The point of this topic is games that absolutely IMPACTED the gaming industry. Gears of War did that.

Yep. Just like how someone mentioned System Shock 2 in place of Bioshock. SS2 may have come first, but Bioshock had a far greater impact.

Except that isn't true. It may have had a greater perceived impact on your part, but any gamer who has been PC gaming for years would not put claim Bioshock as more impactful than System Shock 2.

It seems to me that the kids who just started gaming this generation have a skewed idea of what games actually have had the impacts on the industry. Sure, if you just graduated high school and the 360 was your first console, Gears, Oblivion, Bioshock, etc. may have had the biggest impact on your perception of the industry, but just because you are deficient in your understanding does not make your perceptions so.

Honestly dude you're just sounding like an ass now in this hierarchy of "NO NEW GAMES CAN IMPACT ANYTHING", and you refused to list your cover game for me btw that impacted the industry before Gears of War came out. So I'm guessing you had none.
#94jubjub360Posted 12/10/2012 12:06:49 PM
MlREFOX posted...
OrangeSchweese posted...
jubjub360 posted...

Except that isn't true. It may have had a greater perceived impact on your part, but any gamer who has been PC gaming for years would not put claim Bioshock as more impactful than System Shock 2.

It seems to me that the kids who just started gaming this generation have a skewed idea of what games actually have had the impacts on the industry. Sure, if you just graduated high school and the 360 was your first console, Gears, Oblivion, Bioshock, etc. may have had the biggest impact on your perception of the industry, but just because you are deficient in your understanding does not make your perceptions so.

Yet when you look at console gaming and PC gaming, you have to view it as two separate entities. Sure DOOM popularized the FPS series but it was Call of Duty 4 that solidified FPSes on the home console.
---
F*** yo' MLA! It's all about that APA!
http://i.imgur.com/JF8gG.jpg
#95theshovellerPosted 12/10/2012 12:12:19 PM
Oh, I have one that's more of a personal one, as opposed to an industry-impacting one:

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II.

First cinematic shooter I played that felt like a high-budget shooter / movie I played through. Great story, multiple endings, live-action cutscenes, and 3D graphics! You know, back when "3D" didn't mean "pops out at you" and meant "not sprites."
#96OrangeSchweesePosted 12/10/2012 12:15:27 PM
MlREFOX posted...

I think your retro elitism is blinding you.
#97jubjub360Posted 12/10/2012 12:16:13 PM
OrangeSchweese posted...
MlREFOX posted...

I think your retro elitism is blinding you.

Either that or he doesn't understand what impacted means in this topic.
---
F*** yo' MLA! It's all about that APA!
http://i.imgur.com/JF8gG.jpg
#98cirexericPosted 12/10/2012 12:19:48 PM
Ocarina of Time.
---
Put.The.Gun.Away.
#99OrangeSchweesePosted 12/10/2012 12:20:23 PM
theshoveller posted...
I was going to post a big thing about how those two aren't really related, but decided against it. Instead, I will simply state System Shock 2 and Deus Ex (the first one) on genre-bending first-person shooter games with RPGs, with Borderlands probably being one of the recent "big examples" of this.

Borderlands is the worst of both of these genres, imo. I'm surprised by all the praise it gets.
#100Superfly Jo JoPosted 12/10/2012 12:24:58 PM
I hate when people say Halo popularized the console FPS when GoldenEye 007 was released 4 years prior, and was also considered legendary before Halo even came out
---
PSN: spacedirtyjerz
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, Zelda: OoT, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Doom 3 BFG