This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why I hate this generation of gaming.

#221D_Rich_KingPosted 12/10/2012 4:37:58 PM
SilentS89 posted...
I dont know why people take threads like these so seriously, TC is just venting. He isn't demanding change. People act like TC is dumping on the generation of gaming that you personally crafted. Anyway my 2cents on the topic:

1: Yeah, realism shouldn't be included so often where it doesn't belong. The only place it belongs is where it helps immersion or fun, though realism and fun are usually at odds.

2: Just because games used to be more expensive doesn't mean the prices now are acceptable. Agree with TC.

3:DLC can be good or bad, usually bad, probably needs some kind of standards or rules to curb the worst excesses. Somebody smarter than me can make those rules.

4:On-disc DLC: Unacceptable, nothing apologists can say will change that.

5+6: Yeah, those games are boring.

I am pretty happy with this generation but I can still see the flaws. TC's points seem legit to me.

---
DLC is a method of corporate profiteering. Will you buy into it?
#222metroid888Posted 12/10/2012 4:39:45 PM
I paid $80 for Super Mario RPG back when it first came out, stop being so poor @TC.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.
#223Pinoy441Posted 12/10/2012 4:40:49 PM
http://i.imgur.com/xykft.gif

k

and Cool Story Bro

Are the only correct responses to this topic
---
*grabs popcorn*
#224BarneyBoscoPosted 12/10/2012 4:42:19 PM
You take life way too seriously. Stay inside and play video games.

ZING! well said.
---
http://www.mykaussie.com/images/Tennis1.jpg
#225kobalobasileusPosted 12/10/2012 4:43:29 PM
Seriously, you guys defending the cost of games now because "dey costed dat much in da 90s" need to get over yourselves. I was in my gaming prime in the 90s. I know rip-off artists like Electronics Boutique and Babbages tried to charge $60+ for games, but the normal retail stores in my area sold most SNES carts for $40. And when they went on sale or came from a used game store, they were even less. I still have a couple SNES games with price tags on them... Mega Man X3 cost me $28.16.

It wasn't until the N64 era that EVERYONE started selling cartridge games for $70. And I got all but two of my N64 games used for less than $30 anyway.

People don't complain about the pricing of Steam games, which have multi-platform releases that start at $50-$60 just like the consoles, because they KNOW Steam games will go on sale for ridiculously cheap in the not-too-distant future.

People are complaining because we are now an informed audience that understands companies can still make profits by selling games at the sale prices. So why do they insist on jacking the prices up to obscene amounts in the first place? And why does GameStop drop the price by a meager $5 on used games when used game stores in the 90s slashed the prices by 40% or more?
#226ReloadedPosted 12/10/2012 4:44:43 PM
SilentS89 posted...
I dont know why people take threads like these so seriously, TC is just venting. He isn't demanding change. People act like TC is dumping on the generation of gaming that you personally crafted. Anyway my 2cents on the topic:

1: Yeah, realism shouldn't be included so often where it doesn't belong. The only place it belongs is where it helps immersion or fun, though realism and fun are usually at odds.

2: Just because games used to be more expensive doesn't mean the prices now are acceptable. Agree with TC.

3:DLC can be good or bad, usually bad, probably needs some kind of standards or rules to curb the worst excesses. Somebody smarter than me can make those rules.

4:On-disc DLC: Unacceptable, nothing apologists can say will change that.

5+6: Yeah, those games are boring.

I am pretty happy with this generation but I can still see the flaws. TC's points seem legit to me.

This. The reason there's been such an increase in complainers this generation is because the publishers are giving gamers more to complain about than ever. A game shouldn't ship with bugs, period. Costumes and bonus maps should be unlockables not paid DLC. Apologists will say "you don't have to buy them" but there's a difference between not buying optional costumes when you have other things in the game to unlock, and not putting any unlockables into the game in favor of making players pay for them. I'm not a huge fan of complainers, but I prefer them to the apologists who are letting publishers get away with giving gamers less bang for their buck.

It might not be so bad this generation but it's a downward spiral. We've already begun to see things like including important parts of a game's story as Day-1 dlc, and the more people accept it the worse it will get.
---
"When you play the Game of Thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."
#227GXL_LeonPosted 12/10/2012 5:26:23 PM(edited)
I agree with TC...

Someone said games dont feel magic cuz we are getting older, this may be true but, I feel DARK SOULS Very special, it was the same feeling of a new unknown game of ps1 era...

Realistic games are good, depending of the tipe of game, cant agree with u completely, Try Haunting Ground if u can (Survival horror game)...
#228TidusFan25Posted 12/10/2012 5:01:47 PM
Well, that pretty much confirms everything I needed to know.
Off to go play my "much-cheaper/more complete/less-realistic/ that don't have a game released every year" niche games.
Nep-Nep away!
---
The Offical Aya Hirano of The Duodecim boards. "Your brigade leader says otherwise!!!"
#229Ampharos64Posted 12/10/2012 5:06:29 PM
I can't say I agree with most of your points, though yes, I am frustrated by DLC sometimes.

1. *Looks at my collection of games*
Funnily enough, none of them have realistic settings or realistic graphics. If that type of thing isn't what you like to see in games, it's still pretty easy to find ones that aren't like that.

2. As far as the cost goes, games are cheaper than they used to be, even here in the UK. I think it's unfair to say no game is worth $60 (and no, I don't have much disposable income at all). Most games certainly offer more hours of entertainment per than say, a trip to the cinema, I've put over 100 hours into quite a few JRPGs, for instance. Gaming is one of my main hobbies, it's worth that to me to support the industry.

5. and 6. If people want to play Call of Duty or Madden, they can. I don't expect everyone to like the same type of games I do. (and since you mentioned Tales, the last thing I want is for people who just do not like that kind of game to come play them, and end up complaining about them. There's no point) People can play what they want, as long as they leave others alone to play what they want.
#230peedeejayPosted 12/10/2012 5:16:03 PM
Consumers turning on other consumers and siding with an industry that is ripping them off with B.S is always surprising.