This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why I hate this generation of gaming.

#251Sun XiaoPosted 12/10/2012 6:55:43 PM
I agree on 1, 3, and 4. The prices are no issue for me. Hell, I would buy game for $100 as long as there is no DLC or BS stuffs.

However, I prefer JRPGs over WRPGs while I prefer sharp color for graphics that could be reasons why I think JRPGs are no longer to dominate in console video games. I have other concern whixch would be lack of Library

At least, I was still able to get good jrpgs such as Atelier series, WKC series, Star Ocean 4, Tales of .... series, Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny, and Agarest series. Oh, I spent on PSP games most because of remade such as FFT, Star Ocean I/II, Tactics Ogre, FFIV:TAY, etc as well as DS games.

I probably will plan to get 3DS because of Fire Emblem Awakening and Dragon Quest VII (Remake).
---
I, Garyus, will drain your fetid blood, drop by drop ! -Garyus-Dragon Force
#252numba1_gamerPosted 12/10/2012 6:56:17 PM
I have to agree on points 3-5. And 6 should also be free downloads for updated roster.
---
FC: 3309 0791 3626
#253PlayballKPosted 12/10/2012 6:57:32 PM
I agree I hate the on-disc DLC. That needs to go, but, I don't mind buying DLC if it's for a game I love or it adds to the story or extra tracks in the case of a game lie Forza Horizon. If the content doesn't add anything I wouldn't waste my time buying it. I disagree with the idea that the prices are too high. I don't find that the prices aren't too bad, but I usually wait on purchasing a game unless it is a game series I really like like the Forza games or the demo is really good. There are some games that I definitely wait on like the Lego games and games from companies that release Game of the Year editions within a year after the original came out. I do agree that games don't feel special like when I was growing up, but I think that is more because gaming has changed so much since I was a kid. The systems are so much more advanced than the NES so the games can be more realistic which I don't mind, but at the same time I would like more good games with more of a fantasy style. The only thing I really hate is exclusives especially games that are from studios that don't have any ties to a certain system (i.e. that are not owned by Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo). Otherwise I don't really have a problem with this generation.
#254XianCePosted 12/10/2012 7:17:15 PM
1) Games no longer feel special: What do you play video games for? I (and most other gamers) play video games to escape reality, to do things that we normally can't do in real life. Whatever happened to iconic video game characters (like tomba, crash bandicoot, etc) in fantasy settings? Nowadays too many games have realistic settings and realistic graphics and it really doesn't help that this is basically what this generation of gaming consists of.

2) Games cost $60: I know that the production cost of gaming has increased, but $60 really?! For me (and most other gamers) this generation of gaming has come down to waiting a year or a few months for a price drop and it's not because we don't have the money, no it's because of the fact that no game is worth $60.

3) Dlc: In previous generations of gaming, when we bought a video game, we got the full experience right off the bat. At first, dlc sounded like a good idea, content legitmately made after the game has been released, content that legitimately wasn't included in the final product due to time restraints. How many times have you seen content made way before a game is released, but the developers insist on making said content a preorder bonus? The most recent example of this is the 20 preorder outfits for Playstation Allstars Battle Royale. How many times have you seen dlc being released THE SAME DAY that the final prododuct is released? Dlc is the plaque of gaming and it NEEDS to be banned.

4) On-disc dlc: The gaming industry has become soo corrupt and greedy this generation that they purposely cut content from the game during production and expect us to pay for it later. The main offenders of this unacceptable business practice are Capcom and E.A (there are others, but these are the main ones). Dlc completely kills the gaming experience and is frustrating to us gamers. On-disc dlc should be a crime punishable by death (that should stop all of these dlc scandals). Dlc has left a scar in the face of gaming... and scars NEVER heal.

5) Call of Duty: Who else is getting sick and tired of all of these fps games getting released? Call of Dookie is the same generic first person shooter EVERY SINGLE YEAR. People stand in line and waste $60 on Call of Duty EVERY SINGLE YEAR while actual good games like Trinity Souls of Zill O'll, Tales of games, Transformers War and Fall of Cybertron, etc get horribly underrated. The Call of Duty games may LOOK different every year, but the truth is that it's the SAME GAME with a fresh coat of paint... spray paint.

6) Madden/NBA/Fifa 2,whatever (any sports games): See #6 Call of Duty. Neither Call of Duty or any sports games deserve their popularity.

With all of this being said, I cannot bear the thought of what the future of gaming has in store. I want to hear your thoughts on this matter. That's all that I have to say for now, back to playing more Super Smash Bros =D

Pretty sure most of us play video games just for entertainment.
---
Competitive gaming is a joke.
PC Shop Teacher: Remember - anyone who doesn't build their own birdhouse is a CASUAL woodsmith.
#255WarhawkPosted 12/10/2012 7:24:07 PM
I don't mind some games feeling realistic like with some racing games like maybe Gran Turismo or even NASCAR. Need for Speed or Midnight Club on the other hand, I would rather have the arcade feel what made the games good. Most of the other games like platofrmers I would expect to try to stay true to the type of game but just like times change and so do games. Sorry if I seem like I'm not making any sense.
---
CRP: 12949 | FAQs: 14
FAQ Outlaws | Mega Man Legends
#256utsusuzeroPosted 12/10/2012 7:26:06 PM
gamestop27 posted...
I agree with Point 1, it grates my nerves when I see so many people with a hard on for their games to be exactly what they're trying to escape.

And those who love over-realistic games despise un-realistic games(i.e. Metal Gear Rising, when Raiden beating the crap out of Ray).

Ewwww, come on people, didn't you play japanese games in the 90s?
#257Kageblade23Posted 12/10/2012 7:32:07 PM
Varron posted...
Littlejeffery posted...
1) Games no longer feel special

2) Games cost $60

3) Dlc

4) On-disc dlc

5) Call of Duty

6) Madden/NBA/Fifa 2,whatever (any sports games)

1) You're getting older.

2) They used to cost way more in the 90s.

3) Nobody is forcing you to buy them.

4) I agree with you on this one.

5) Don't like, don't buy.

6) See above.

see here now the issue with your #5 rebut is that the developers spending soo much time on one game sequal after sequal after sequal with the same gameplay and a tweek here or there....its takes all that extra time away that they could be putting into other games that would probably be more worthwhile...all the rest of your rebuts i agree with but... im gonna have to agree with him on the thing about cod...that game is way past due... the funny part is the stupid people keep standing in line year after year to get the same game over and over again :/
#258timeclock0037Posted 12/10/2012 7:38:59 PM
Eh. Here's my take on your points.

1. Some of my absolutely favorite games have come from this generation. Anything from thatgamecompany, the pixeljunk games, Shank, Scott Pilgrim, Mirror's Edge, and so many other games have that special "feel" to them. And it's not a good idea to speak for "most" gamers because you automatically lose the argument. You don't know what "most" gamers want when they play a game.

There were plenty of games in the 8bit, 16bit, and 32bit eras that approximated realistic settings; not everything was fantasy back in the early days of gaming. And fantasy based games are still being made even today. I'd go so far as to say that colorful, fantasy worlds are much more fully realized today than ever before.

2. As for the price, sure a game priced at $49.99 in 1990 may seem cheaper, but as other people have pointed out, that NES game is actually more expensive than a comparable game from today and there were games more expensive than standard releases today. Phantasy Star 4 was close to $100 at release, for example. You can always check out indie games if you want something cheaper.

3. & 4. As for DLC, remember Street Fighter II? How about SFII'? Or SSFII? Essentially DLC that was full price when released. I do agree with some of your points in regards to day 1 DLC and disk based DLC, but I will not say that ALL DLC is bad. Things like music packs for Guitar Hero, or additional stages for a particular game are not inherently a bad thing. Charging money for horse armor and the like is what DLC should not be used for. Unfortunately, people purchase that kind of DLC, so the onus is on the consumer for making poor purchasing choices.

5. & 6. In regards to games on a yearly release cycle, at least they're competently made. I can't say the same thing for the samey platformers and fighting games that plagued the 8bit and 16bit generations. And why shouldn't they deserve their popularity? They provide entertainment for the people who do enjoy them.

I don't get the hatred for Call of Duty or Madden... They make money for their respective companies, which allows the company to take risks on games like Skylanders, or Transformers, or Prototype, or Mass Effect, or Shadows of the Damned, or Dead Space, or Mirror's Edge. Without those reliable sources of revenue, large game publishers wouldn't take any risks. Just don't play those games if you don't like them.

And Smash Bros? Really? Isn't each iteration just the same thing as the last? :P
#259Godofwar3fan887Posted 12/10/2012 7:42:38 PM
Littlejeffery posted...
1) Games no longer feel special: What do you play video games for? I (and most other gamers) play video games to escape reality, to do things that we normally can't do in real life. Whatever happened to iconic video game characters (like tomba, crash bandicoot, etc) in fantasy settings? Nowadays too many games have realistic settings and realistic graphics and it really doesn't help that this is basically what this generation of gaming consists of.

2) Games cost $60: I know that the production cost of gaming has increased, but $60 really?! For me (and most other gamers) this generation of gaming has come down to waiting a year or a few months for a price drop and it's not because we don't have the money, no it's because of the fact that no game is worth $60.

3) Dlc: In previous generations of gaming, when we bought a video game, we got the full experience right off the bat. At first, dlc sounded like a good idea, content legitmately made after the game has been released, content that legitimately wasn't included in the final product due to time restraints. How many times have you seen content made way before a game is released, but the developers insist on making said content a preorder bonus? The most recent example of this is the 20 preorder outfits for Playstation Allstars Battle Royale. How many times have you seen dlc being released THE SAME DAY that the final prododuct is released? Dlc is the plaque of gaming and it NEEDS to be banned.

4) On-disc dlc: The gaming industry has become soo corrupt and greedy this generation that they purposely cut content from the game during production and expect us to pay for it later. The main offenders of this unacceptable business practice are Capcom and E.A (there are others, but these are the main ones). Dlc completely kills the gaming experience and is frustrating to us gamers. On-disc dlc should be a crime punishable by death (that should stop all of these dlc scandals). Dlc has left a scar in the face of gaming... and scars NEVER heal.

5) Call of Duty: Who else is getting sick and tired of all of these fps games getting released? Call of Dookie is the same generic first person shooter EVERY SINGLE YEAR. People stand in line and waste $60 on Call of Duty EVERY SINGLE YEAR while actual good games like Trinity Souls of Zill O'll, Tales of games, Transformers War and Fall of Cybertron, etc get horribly underrated. The Call of Duty games may LOOK different every year, but the truth is that it's the SAME GAME with a fresh coat of paint... spray paint.

6) Madden/NBA/Fifa 2,whatever (any sports games): See #6 Call of Duty. Neither Call of Duty or any sports games deserve their popularity.

With all of this being said, I cannot bear the thought of what the future of gaming has in store. I want to hear your thoughts on this matter. That's all that I have to say for now, back to playing more Super Smash Bros =D

Well PS3 has some great games coming out and some already out such as God OF War 3 and Infamous series and Uncharted.
#260poolmav2007Posted 12/10/2012 7:43:34 PM
I love this generation of gaming! Yeah, it's lost some of that feeling I used to get when I saw new games come out, but I think that is because I'm getting older. Things lose that special feeling when you get older.

I would have to say the lack of variety is the only thing I'm disappointed about. OK, maybe the lack of JRPGs is the real reason I'm disappointed in this generation.

But I enjoy FPSers! I just need to break it up with other types of games. They make me sick when I play them too long.

And I agree with sports games! I think they should come out at least once every two years. All they need to do is update the roster every year. Then we wouldn't have slight updates to game play and graphics every year. I'm now only buying one sport game of that type every 5 years. That's about the time you you see the real leaps in terms of game play and graphics. But if you continue buying it each year it doesn't look as if they improved much.
---
---
Cheers! Arc the Lad 2 is still my No. 1.