This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PS3 backup question

#1NoGood56erPosted 12/10/2012 12:24:30 PM
I am planning on getting a new HDD for my ps3 cause my 120gb has run out (Thanks to PS+) I am wondering what transfers to the external hdd when I do my backup though. I have the TMNT HD remake, which is no longer available for download on the PS store, and i really dont want to lose that. I was also wondering about some of my saves that can't be copied, like my SSFIV save. Am I going to lose those?
---
"This is great, I'm gonna get nice and drunk... play some video-games till my eyes bleed."
#2AnonUnknownPosted 12/10/2012 12:33:46 PM
no saves will be lost. games will be copied unless you're moving the hard drive to ANOTHER console, but that's not what you're going to do.

you'll probably have to re-activate PSN content after switching drives, but that won't waste your activations.
#3xxnike629xxPosted 12/10/2012 12:47:21 PM
AnonUnknown posted...
no saves will be lost. games will be copied unless you're moving the hard drive to ANOTHER console, but that's not what you're going to do.

you'll probably have to re-activate PSN content after switching drives, but that won't waste your activations.

False.

Copy protected saves will be lost.

Anyway, what you want to do is get a new PS3; maybe that 500 GB super slim model. Connect the 2 with an ethernet cable. Transfer everything that way.

Why?

1. Easier
2. EVERYTHING (including copy protected data) will transfer over.
---
PSN: xxnike629xx YouTube: suiton629Bloginb4suiton.blogspot.com
#4AnonUnknownPosted 12/10/2012 1:14:48 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5AnonUnknownPosted 12/10/2012 1:15:56 PM
#6AnonUnknownPosted 12/10/2012 1:17:12 PM
^ no? AFAIK, copy-protected saves will be transfered if you're doing a full backup ON THE SAME CONSOLE. he's not planning to get another PS3.
#7NoGood56er(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2012 1:17:49 PM
xxnike629xx posted...
AnonUnknown posted...

False.

Anyway, what you want to do is get a new PS3; maybe that 500 GB super slim model. Connect the 2 with an ethernet cable. Transfer everything that way.

Why?

1. Easier

So instead of $50 you recommend I spend $200? That makes sense. And how is it easier? I'm still transferring one thing to another.

anyways, will copy protected saves from the cloud still work once I transfer to a new hdd?
---
"This is great, I'm gonna get nice and drunk... play some video-games till my eyes bleed."
#8AnonUnknownPosted 12/10/2012 1:22:55 PM
#9AnonUnknownPosted 12/10/2012 1:23:36 PM
changing hard drive is easy, and Cloud saving accepts all saves and they'll still work.
#10antoinejonesPosted 12/10/2012 1:32:10 PM
xxnike629xx posted...
AnonUnknown posted...

False.

Why?

1. Easier

incorrect the backup utility backs up EVERYTHING including copy protected saves.. and the copy protected saves transfer if youre putting them on the SAME ps3.. only if you use a different ps3 will copy protected saves be lost

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/backuputility.html

notice it says some types of backup data cannot be restored to ANOTHER ps3.... that doesnt apply if its the SAME ps3
---
My first time and day in Jeuno and the first 6 hours of it is spent staring at a chocobo's butt.