This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PS3 backup question

#11Tmac2035Posted 12/10/2012 1:38:41 PM
I have a somewhat related question about the backup/data transfer process - wondering if anyone has any concrete answers about this. Here's my situation:

I have two PS3s, a 320GB Slim and a 160GB Phat (originally an 80GB).

I do not have PS+.

The Slim is my main PS3 and what I log most of my game time on. The other is mostly a backup system and is occasionally used for PS2 titles. I have, in the past several months, updated many items on my main PS3 such as music, videos, game saves and so on. I have several titles for which the save data is copy protected therefore I am unable to simply copy and transfer them from system to system. I would like to update my Phat PS3 with the more recent data from my Slim.

It is my understanding that the backup utility will only restore copy-protected (CP) data on the ORIGINAL PS3, so that's out. From what I have read, the Data Transfer Utility copies EVERYTHING from one system to the other, but erases the data on the original once the transfer is complete (again, I have never used this method and cannot vouch for the accuracy of what I have read).

So, my thinking was to preform a backup on the Slim system using the backup utility. Once that is complete, could I use the Data Transfer Utility to copy everything from the Slim to the Phat, then once that is finished and all the data on the Slim is erased, restore the backup I had made earlier on the Slim to retrieve all the data (including CP data). Does anyone know if that would work? Thanks for any input.
---
PSN: Toastie_McBake
3DS FC: 5284-1743-3656
#12antoinejonesPosted 12/10/2012 2:25:02 PM
that sounds like it would work except if theres things on the phat ps3 you wanna keep.. the stuff from the slim might get rid of that... so youd lose everything that was on your phat but have it replace with everything that was on the slim..

also for data transfer it does say it will erase everything from the original ps3.. but when I used data transfer everything was transfered to the new ps3 and the original ps3 still had everything on it.. so in MY case it erased nothing
---
My first time and day in Jeuno and the first 6 hours of it is spent staring at a chocobo's butt.
#13Tmac2035Posted 12/10/2012 2:35:51 PM
that sounds like it would work except if theres things on the phat ps3 you wanna keep.. the stuff from the slim might get rid of that... so youd lose everything that was on your phat but have it replace with everything that was on the slim..

Aside from my PS1 and PS2 Virtual Memory Card Saves, which I have all those manually copied to an external HDD, there's nothing that I don't want overwritten. Basically I'm just trying to make my Phat more up-to-date with my Slim -- if that makes sense.

also for data transfer it does say it will erase everything from the original ps3.. but when I used data transfer everything was transfered to the new ps3 and the original ps3 still had everything on it.. so in MY case it erased nothing

Excellent. Thanks for that information. Not to discount you, but is there anyone else that has had a similar experience with the Data Transfer Utility?
---
#14Tmac2035Posted 12/11/2012 3:10:19 PM
Bump for good measure.
---