This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which developers/publishers do you boycott?

#151knuxnolePosted 12/12/2012 11:03:11 AM
Also, video game companies care about money as number one.

Fan input and actions means NOTHING to them. They see angry nerds as simply basement dwellers who mean nothing to society and are a burden. Why would successful people care about little ants?
---
3DS FC: 4554-0309-4782
#152hockeybub89Posted 12/12/2012 11:08:12 AM(edited)
I guess it has been settled in this topic. Boycotting is silly and pointless. You could probably find a petty business practice in every company in every industry that annoys you. Businesses are in the "business" of making money. You can't boycott everything. And if you aren't boycotting everything, then you are a hypocrite. Let's save the boycotts for important things. Life is much better when you don't run around hating everything.
---
http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/NIR_Hockey.png
http://www.last.fm/user/hockeybub89/ Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica
#153jubjub360Posted 12/12/2012 11:09:47 AM
hockeybub89 posted...
I guess it has been settled in this topic. Boycotting is silly and pointless. You could probably find a petty business practice in every company in every industry that annoys you. Businesses are in the "business" of making money. You can't boycott everything. And if you aren't boycotting everything, then you are a hypocrite. Let's save the boycotts for important things. Life is much better when you don't run around hating everything.

You know... this is probably the best reasoning I've read on here.
---
F*** yo' MLA! It's all about that APA!
http://i.imgur.com/JF8gG.jpg
#154OfficeChair(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2012 1:59:04 PM
hockeybub89 posted...

I guess it's been settled in this topic. Boycotting is a way to stick up against anti-consumer practices you don't agree with. It's not an issue of ethics; it' about supporting companies that show respect for the consumer. Businesses are in the "business" of making money, only because they have customers that are willing to buy their products. You can choose products to boycott. You don't have to boycott everything or take a moral stance on every product, because some products like gas or food are essential to modern life. Vote with your money. Life is much better when you don't let yourself become a corporate tool.

See? I can start a statement with claiming"it's been settled" and act as if "it's been settled", when really it hasn't been. Haha the WAY your side presents its arguments (abstaining from logic and relying on lame rhetorical strategies) is proof enough enough that you have little logical ground to stand on.

I don't like something the way a company operates? I'm not going to buy their products. I don't get why you're so passionate about this. Stay out of my business.
---
this topic is ruined
[i really hate classic rock]
#155theshovellerPosted 12/12/2012 2:02:10 PM
jubjub360 posted...
I buy games for fun. What about you guys?

I buy games like I buy stocks.

BUY! BUY! BUY!!!

Look, the Dukes are cornering the Frozen Concentrated Orange Juice market, they must know something we don't!

Sell, Mortimer, SELL!!!!!
#156hockeybub89Posted 12/12/2012 4:38:09 PM
OfficeChair posted...
hockeybub89 posted...

I guess it's been settled in this topic. Boycotting is a way to stick up against anti-consumer practices you don't agree with. It's not an issue of ethics; it' about supporting companies that show respect for the consumer. Businesses are in the "business" of making money, only because they have customers that are willing to buy their products. You can choose products to boycott. You don't have to boycott everything or take a moral stance on every product, because some products like gas or food are essential to modern life. Vote with your money. Life is much better when you don't let yourself become a corporate tool.

See? I can start a statement with claiming"it's been settled" and act as if "it's been settled", when really it hasn't been. Haha the WAY your side presents its arguments (abstaining from logic and relying on lame rhetorical strategies) is proof enough enough that you have little logical ground to stand on.

I don't like something the way a company operates? I'm not going to buy their products. I don't get why you're so passionate about this. Stay out of my business.

I'm not trying to change your ways. People have every right to be wrong. I was just sharing why I think it is silly. I don't care who agrees or disagrees with me.

Also, my point stands. Boycott everything or none at all. Fine, you can't boycott food, but if you boycott one video game company and not the other, that makes you a hypocrite. They pretty much all do something that is "anti-consumer" if that's how you want to view it and it will only get "worse" because guess what? They aren't doing anything unethical or anti-consumer or uncool or however you want to view it enough to attract a widespread boycott.

I'm not a corporate tool. I know that no business will care or should care enough about every single potential consumer to make sure no one is even mildly annoyed. That would be impossible. They just do as much as they can to make money without isolating too many customers. Even the worst of the worst, Capcom, is still in decent shape in thay regard. I don't know where people get this notion that we as consumers have every business by the balls and can twist them to our will. A good business will push as far it can, but stop when it might start costing them sales. We aren't at that point yet. Online passes and day 1and DLC and the like inspire indifference more than anyone in people. It is not the customer-losing, industry-ending poison that some people on the Internet like to portray it as.

So yes you can boycott. But just do it for yourself. Don't expect it to inspire anything because it simply won't.

I will busy buying games I want , ignoring the ones I don't, and not wringing my hands every time the video game industry is mentioned. Is that naive? I don't know, but at least I can smile when I think of my hobby.
---
http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/NIR_Hockey.png
http://www.last.fm/user/hockeybub89/ Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica
#157CronoDynePosted 12/13/2012 4:17:56 PM(edited)
I think it's funny how you act like you know my buying habits. I really do. I laughed at it. I laughed even more when you think that I buy games just based off a publisher.

I don't know your buying habits. I just know what you fully admit on this board. And you fully admitted you'd buy a game from a bad company despite their anti-consumer practices. Ignoring the bad business practices makes you blind. Knowing about the bad business practices and buying from the company anyway makes you a loyalist. So, for the fourth time: blind loyalist.

Here's a tip: I'll be buying DmC when it comes out. Why? Because I feel that NINJA THEORY deserves my money. Notice how that does not say CAPCOM. Make sure you realize what I am saying there.

NINJA THEORY gets none of your money. NINJA THEORY was paid by CAPCOM, long before you even considered buying the game. You buying DmC means absolutely nothing for Ninja Theory.

Also don't act like your all holier than thou about me "taking personal jabs." When all you've done this whole topic is call me a blind loyalist and all I've said is you don't play video game for fun. Just because I buy games because they look fun to me doesn't make me a blind loyalist, it makes me someone who likes to play games that look fun. Tell me, am I a blind loyalist when I picked up UFC undisputed 3 because I liked how Undisputed 09 was? I mean THQ has the online pass (which I know you are heavily against) and that game needed it to be played online. Here I'll answer that for you: no it does not. It makes me a frequent buyer because I liked how a previous game was. Just because you base all of your buyings off of who publishe a game doesn't mean the whole world should.

"Blind loyalist" isn't a personal jab. It's a condemnation of your mindset. Were I to actually make a personal jab against you, I'd say something along the lines of, "you're an idiot because you're an idiot." But I didn't say that. I called you out for your blindness and gave specific reasons why you were blind. Unlike you, who called me "anti big business" without actually providing a single example, simply generalizing based on your flawed views on reality, incapable of differentiating between hard working companies and simply bad ones. I'll say this one last time: if you continue to buy from a publisher who has continued their anti consumer practices, then you're supporting those anti consumer practices. No matter how many times you repeat the empty phrase, "I play games for fun," it's not going to change this reality.

Your analogy about Enron is a false analogy fallacy since it has nothing to do with at the topic at hand. Enron never published anything so it's not comparable in the slightest bit.

You apparently don't know what an analogy is. Company X who produced item Y did something bad. People who buy item Y are supporting company X. Replace the variables with whatever you want. The scenario stays the same.

So you're not even willing to take the fun challenge. Sad. (Also I know you're just going to view this sentence and whine about how I didn't counter your argument again. You should probably go back and read everything again)

And you end with yet another lame diversion tactic. You realize I've been replying to every point you've made in this topic, right? Again, I'm so sorry for actually having a backbone to not kowtow to greedy, anti consumerist companies. Unlike you, I don't shield my eyes from the world and ignore what companies like Capcom have done to the gaming industry.
---
Goodbye Chewy. You were the best friend I could ask for. Rest in peace, buddy.
#158jubjub360Posted 12/13/2012 4:15:54 PM
Wow are you really that butthurt that I don't believe in your propaganda ideas that you had to actually bump this topic?

Cronodyne, never change.
---
"I believe games are incomplete when DLC is released, no matter the date!" Agrissa
http://i.imgur.com/JF8gG.jpg
#159hijokaidenPosted 12/13/2012 4:18:29 PM
Ubisoft.
---
Well at Gamestop you can get a rubber ducky, a water gun, or a pirate sleeve Wii bundle.
#160desert_santaPosted 12/13/2012 4:18:51 PM
none

and i won't start until they release an unplayable title that needs patching on day one

i hate needing online for an offline game