This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sega suing level 5 for patent infringement,seeking 900mil yen in damages

#51Spoiled_ClichePosted 12/11/2012 6:47:21 AM
killak posted...
If their patent is truly infringed, then they should be suing.

Always annoying to read comments how people think they're stupid for doing what they're doing, when they're simply protecting their property.

If they win, then it was infringed, if not, then it wasn't enough.......but if they feel it is, then they should be doing this.

You would.

This.
#52AznEDPosted 12/11/2012 6:52:16 AM
Remember guys, Apple just recently won that case over patenting a square with round edges.
Anything is possible.

And to think I didn't care for them before that case, now it's even less.
---
I'm a rich kid with issues, lots of issues ~Batman
If I ever let superman in charge again, just hit me, real hard
#53OtakuGameraPosted 12/11/2012 6:54:03 AM
Both have been pretty ****y lately IMO. Personally, Sega's handling of Valkyria Chronicles is what has me ticked with them.

that's just one, all in all sega has been amazing. they localized yakuza games eventhough it doesnt sell so much and they also published all of platinum games games.
---
PSVita no games? http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/64767381
http://www.atlus.com/res/p4g_faithful_reviews_1.jpg
#54LesserAngelPosted 12/11/2012 7:00:39 AM(edited)
"Sega (in the patent) was granted a patent on the idea of using a combination of swipes and drag/hold techniques to control multiple characters at once, while also maintaining primary control over one single character (in the case of the patent, a player with the ball, but they suggest it can be other things as well). The examples provided include moving linemen into formation using quick swipes while using a long drag to move the character with the ball up field. (So basically, a long drag will move the guy with the ball, while a quick swipe will move linemen, and a quick swipe on top of the ball to another character will pass the ball, etc. - there are multiple techniques mentioned here (including grouping multiple characters together to move at once) but they generally revolve around the same fundamental ideas)."

Can anyone that plays IE say if this is how the controls in IE are? In anycase, to me it still sounds like trying to patent 'press A to jump'. Meh, whatever.
#55killakPosted 12/11/2012 7:01:44 AM
So they patented specific gesture types.

I gotta say, I really wish the patent office could see the mass appeal of an idea and deny a patent based on that
---
I believe in Jesus Christ, the exclamation.........
#56LesserAngelPosted 12/11/2012 7:06:27 AM
Here's a page with a more in depth (but in Japanese) info on the patent, though the images are fairly straight-forward.

http://gigazine.net/news/20121211-sega-inazuma/
#57OtakuGameraPosted 12/11/2012 7:09:38 AM
Can anyone that plays IE say if this is how the controls in IE are? In anycase, to me it still sounds like trying to patent 'press A to jump'. Meh, whatever.

i've only played one IE game and yeah, that's pretty much how the football part of the game is played
---
PSVita no games? http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/64767381
http://www.atlus.com/res/p4g_faithful_reviews_1.jpg
#58LesserAngelPosted 12/11/2012 7:13:56 AM
OtakuGamera posted...

i've only played one IE game and yeah, that's pretty much how the football part of the game is played

Then Sega might actually have something, still don't like the implications though. Are we gonna start seeing companies sue each other because someone else's game uses R2 to throw a grenade? (Cruddy example, but you get the point.)
#59Neoreloaded313Posted 12/11/2012 7:14:56 AM
LesserAngel posted...
"Sega (in the patent) was granted a patent on the idea of using a combination of swipes and drag/hold techniques to control multiple characters at once, while also maintaining primary control over one single character (in the case of the patent, a player with the ball, but they suggest it can be other things as well). The examples provided include moving linemen into formation using quick swipes while using a long drag to move the character with the ball up field. (So basically, a long drag will move the guy with the ball, while a quick swipe will move linemen, and a quick swipe on top of the ball to another character will pass the ball, etc. - there are multiple techniques mentioned here (including grouping multiple characters together to move at once) but they generally revolve around the same fundamental ideas)."

How can anybody be granted a patent for that? I dont see it as much different then having certain button combinations in a game and you sure cant patent that.
---
Trolls and ignorant people gets added to my ignore list.
#60kuterPosted 12/11/2012 7:17:07 AM
I hope level 5 lose. They are such a crappy company that hardly support their game outside of japan