This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sega suing level 5 for patent infringement,seeking 900mil yen in damages

#61killakPosted 12/11/2012 7:17:30 AM
How can anybody be granted a patent for that? I dont see it as much different then having certain button combinations in a game and you sure cant patent that.

Exactly my point. They shouldn't be able to patent mass appeal ideas
---
"does the game give you any guidance at some point? How do I f***ing figure s*** out?" - darksydephil, trying to beat the opening of Bayonetta
#62Siara_SedaiPosted 12/11/2012 7:21:23 AM
Remember, Level 5 not only has Professor Layton on their side, but I'm sure Phoenix Wright will step in and help, too. Sega = GUILTY.
---
That world are square.
#63LesserAngelPosted 12/11/2012 7:21:51 AM
kuter posted...
I hope level 5 lose. They are such a crappy company that hardly support their game outside of japan

You mean like Sega with Valkyria Chronicles 3? For that matter, EVERY japanese game company has great games that were never localized.
#64PedroMontanaPosted 12/11/2012 7:49:03 AM
kel25 posted...
This is bad news. Level 5 is a small company and this could put them out of business or severely hurt the company. They are one of the few companies left that I actually enjoy.

Level 5 isn't that small at all. Every single Layton game is a multi million seller, Inazuma Eleven is a big cross media franchise with DS/Wii/3DS games and a TV series.
---
No More Heroes
#65RollingCradlePosted 12/11/2012 8:21:49 AM
Cool, level 5's next game can be Mi No Money.
#66SayoriaPosted 12/11/2012 8:24:30 AM
Oh come on Sega. I liked you....
---
Sailor Moon returns 2013! O_o
#67servb0tsPosted 12/11/2012 8:26:44 AM
mogar002 posted...
Sega is desperate for cash because of all the flops they release.

Hatsune Miku says hi.
---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems. 08/18/11 R.I.P Megaman Legends 3
-PS3 FFXIV ARR 2.0 Day 1 Buy I can't wait to maxout Summoner
#68NewavePosted 12/11/2012 8:27:35 AM
Level-5 don't have a single game under their name that I don't hate.

GO, SEGA, GO!!
---
I have: NES, GB, GBA(3), PSX(5), DC, PS2, PSP(2), GC(2), Wii, XB(2), XB360
I want: GBP, GBL, GBC, SNES, MD, MCD, 32X, SS, PS3, PSV
#69theshovellerPosted 12/11/2012 8:29:23 AM
This, at an initial glance, almost looks like a patent troll move. You know, where those companies go out, patent a bunch of random stupid ideas with almost nothing to back it up or plans to use it in anything, then sue a ton of companies for violating their patents after they make it big.

They happen real often, and they don't ever plan on taking the thing to court or else they'd get creamed - they just do it for a few thousand dollars, and that's it. "I patented my idea for a sort of interface where you can control something with eye movement, but have no physical product to demonstrate it - just the idea!" Then someone makes it, it sells well, several people develop things for it, then the company goes out and sues all of them for violating their patent. Assume $50k a pop per settlement, and they sue maybe ten to twenty companies at a time, and that's a lot of cash for doing nothing.

Any time you see a lawsuit that claims a bunch of stuff like Disney, Microsoft, Sony, and Mattel - all in the same lawsuit - it's one of those things.
#70readyaimfailPosted 12/11/2012 8:32:44 AM
gjc2007 posted...
Sega....you've been a pretty kick ass publisher this gen.

But I've gotta call bull**** on this one. There is no way they win this.

I agree
---
-_-