This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sega suing level 5 for patent infringement,seeking 900mil yen in damages

#81Rock Dash3XPosted 12/11/2012 9:08:08 AM
It sucks to hear that Sega is suing Level 5 cause I love them both. But if they truly did in fringe than I understand. I just need way more info on this and not just like rough translation. I feel there is something way more to it. If Level 5 does lose, I see Nintendo going in a buying out the rest.
#82Nmilek1Posted 12/11/2012 9:18:32 AM
Sophistication posted...
Guess we can kiss Dark cloud 2 g'bye... unless Sony wants to hand it over to a developer with more money. Level 5 is broke as hell...

Cases like this never go through you cant hold a patent on an industry standard unless Sega aims to be going after Nintendo and Apple. If you claim a patent it's your legal obligation to protect it against ALL infringement or risk losing it.
#83TomorrowDogPosted 12/11/2012 9:22:15 AM
Always annoying to read comments how people think they're stupid for doing what they're doing, when they're simply protecting their property.

If they win, then it was infringed, if not, then it wasn't enough.......but if they feel it is, then they should be doing this.

That is a rather naive viewpoint. Lawsuits aren't always filed with the best of intentions. Somebody could say, "Hey, we might have a chance at getting some money out of this even though I don't think we really deserve it."
---
"Happiness is nature's way of telling human resources you're overpaid." - Catbert
#84hijokaidenPosted 12/11/2012 9:22:22 AM
Hell yeah, down with Devalue 5.
---
Well at Gamestop you can get a rubber ducky, a water gun, or a pirate sleeve Wii bundle.
#85theshovellerPosted 12/11/2012 9:27:19 AM
TomorrowDog posted...
Always annoying to read comments how people think they're stupid for doing what they're doing, when they're simply protecting their property.

If they win, then it was infringed, if not, then it wasn't enough.......but if they feel it is, then they should be doing this.

That is a rather naive viewpoint. Lawsuits aren't always filed with the best of intentions. Somebody could say, "Hey, we might have a chance at getting some money out of this even though I don't think we really deserve it."

Exactly, which is why I said my thing about this seeming like a "patent troll" move. That's what they do - file a bunch of lawsuits over BS patents they can't win in court, but the legal fees incurred by the companies winning wouldn't be worth the effort so they do a settlement of several thousand dollars and call it a day.
#86hijokaidenPosted 12/11/2012 9:28:19 AM
nihilist212 posted...
900 million Yen is what, about $40?

Something like 30€.
---
Well at Gamestop you can get a rubber ducky, a water gun, or a pirate sleeve Wii bundle.
#87IdTheDemonPosted 12/11/2012 10:30:06 AM
Sega has been broke since the Saturn days.
---
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/frostmane/ceejay/simple
#88ThePatrickPosted 12/11/2012 10:37:01 AM
Wait

So, both companies produced a popular soccer series, and now that SEGA is basically getting rid of its involvement in the series they're suing the other company for copyright infringements for using the technology they helped develop to make said product? Am I reading this right?

That's pretty low.
---
Ryuuga Gotoku (Yakuza) series text FAQs available at GameFAQs
PSN: hatoriki_kai, XBL: hatoriki, YouTube: ryled, Twitter: @Hatoriki, Me: Bored
#89Xian042Posted 12/11/2012 10:51:19 AM
kel25 posted...

“A mechanism to manipulate the characters by touching the screen with your finger or pen.” Sega is claiming that “two patents acquired by the company has been compromised”.

So why isn't Sega suing every single smart phone game and a large number of DS, 3DS, and Vita game developers?

I wondered myself what this means. Keep in mind this is a translation and there could be some error in the wording. Maybe they mean a device used on a touchscreen to manipulate a character with a finger or pen. So like a peripheral used on a touch screen. A 360 degree thumbpad maybe?
---
Ouch! What do you do?
#90glory of power metalPosted 12/11/2012 11:26:52 AM
How much is 9 million yen in gold rings?
---
NP: God of War 3, Final Fantasy VI, Metro 2033
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher