This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Japan/Western gaming

#1SerialVandalPosted 12/11/2012 1:34:47 PM
With all the threads the past.... ever, on this board with people either defending or attacking whatever country they think makes the best games, and all the "facts" that get thrown around I just wanted to link a nice little article that isn't too old that explains the differences in how both cultures view gaming.

http://www.1up.com/features/japanese-games-breaking-west

For the record, I'm a fan of both, shocking right? I can proudly say some of my favorite games of all time include Chrono Trigger, FFVI, Fallout (all of them, yes, even the bad ones), Badurs Gate 1 & 2, and the list goes on and on.

WHY do people feel the need to attack one country/set of developers when they don't like the direction their chosen champion is taking?

We're all gamers here people. The rest of the world doesn't care if you prefer Wrpgs or Jrpgs. It's all a waste of time to them.
#2servb0tsPosted 12/11/2012 1:41:48 PM
I like all RPG, JRPG, WRPG, ARPG, SRPG everything under the sun. I also like all ethinical type foods.

Over half these name calling trolls, eat ethinic foods, and pretend to be proud americans.
---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems. 08/18/11 R.I.P Megaman Legends 3
-PS3 FFXIV ARR 2.0 Day 1 Buy I can't wait to maxout Summoner
#3theshovellerPosted 12/11/2012 1:45:51 PM
Because they're close-minded douchebags. That's covering the zealots on both sides of the cultural / gaming debate - there's no other words to describe it other than those.

I don't like Game X, but I'm not going to rag on it, or imply it's a bad game, or take sniping attacks at people who say they like it. It's just not my thing, and I'll leave it at that. Will calling them an Ameriboo or weeaboo or something make me the better person? Hell no. Will saying "Well, I'm sorry you have poor taste in games," make me appear to be the better man? Hell no. Will simply saying "agree to disagree," and leaving at that, end the argument with nobody having a "bloodied nose?" Yeah.
#4toadiemanPosted 12/11/2012 1:45:51 PM
I like RPGs.
---
PSN: toadieman
#5wstfldPosted 12/11/2012 1:47:27 PM
So Japanese gamers are young people that like subtly sexualized children? Good for them.
---
Last Played: Assassin's Creed 3 (8/10)
Now Playing: XCOM Enemy Unknown, Assassin's Creed 3, FIFA 13
#6touyamizrahiPosted 12/11/2012 2:03:10 PM
wstfld posted...
So Japanese gamers are young people that like subtly sexualized children? Good for them.

^ perfect example of a true western culture and their misunderstanding of the ACTUAL term Moe.

...sigh...people like you make me wish the world was actually going to end in 10 days...
---
"That's like saying, "You're not a vegan! You're black!" - RPG maniac87 <3
PSN: KatouKimiko
#7ScreamingMidgetPosted 12/11/2012 2:05:52 PM
toadieman posted...
I like RPGs.
#8toadiemanPosted 12/11/2012 2:13:25 PM
Mo-ay huh? And here I was thinking it was just plain Moe. Like Nyuk, nyuk hey moe.

I give up trying to pronounce japanese words.
---
PSN: toadieman
#9touyamizrahiPosted 12/11/2012 2:16:17 PM
toadieman posted...
Mo-ay huh? And here I was thinking it was just plain Moe. Like Nyuk, nyuk hey moe.

well, remember, the japanese don't really right anything in romanji. but if they did more often, moe would instead have the e like this , so when you read it instead as Mo, it would be pronounced differently then smiply Moe from simpsons or 3 stooges.
---
"That's like saying, "You're not a vegan! You're black!" - RPG maniac87 <3
PSN: KatouKimiko
#10SieKensouPosted 12/11/2012 2:18:16 PM
toadieman posted...

funny enough, japanese is far easier to pronounce than english.

all japanese words are easy to pronounce compared to english.

with japanese, what you see is exactly how you pronounce it.
with english, you need to first build the word together, then focus on pronunciation rules, then append whatever advanced pronunciation rules there might be, and finally, there may be further pronunciation exceptions that may be forced onto that word for being spelled or used that way
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462