This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Valkyria Chronicles or XCOM: Enemy Unknown

#1LuigiVampaSwagPosted 12/11/2012 4:48:48 PM(edited)
Which SRPG would you recommend? - Results (110 votes)
Valkyria Chronicles
67.27% (74 votes)
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
32.73% (36 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I'm thinking about getting one of the aforementioned games, but I'm not sure which
---
http://imgur.com/rvwNj.gif
#2peter_888Posted 12/11/2012 4:49:14 PM
as a srpg? Valkyria chronicles
since Xcom enemy unknown isn't really a srpg. it's a strategy game.
---
I'm a gamer dang it, not a pc gamer or a console gamer, just a gamer.
#3GeomagnusPosted 12/11/2012 4:50:18 PM
If you're playing for fun, I would say XCOM. As the kind of person who likes to get EVERYTHING in a game, I found a lot of Valkyria Chronicles to be frustrating when trying to get constant A ranks with all of the possible money/xp from a mission, and the items, even with a video guide to follow to the letter. With XCOM, there is no real set strategy, which gives you a lot more freedom to actually play and enjoy the game to get what you want out of it. That's my opinion, anyway.
#4LuigiVampaSwag(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2012 4:51:23 PM
peter_888 posted...
as a srpg? Valkyria chronicles
since Xcom enemy unknown isn't really a srpg. it's a strategy game.

Sorry, I just thought that XCOM was an SRPG, too, since you can improve your weapons, defenses, and other stuff

But I guess that the RPG part isn't overly important.
---
#5Lord_Spectre_XPosted 12/11/2012 4:52:49 PM
I could give reasons why one is slightly better than the other. But that is a complete waste of time. Get Valkyria Chronicles now and get XCOM Enemy Unknown when you can and it's a bit cheaper. They're both fantastic games that deserve equal attention.
---
"I'm not a religious man, but because of Nunu, I believe in Hell." - Stonewall
#6TheCyborgNinjaPosted 12/11/2012 5:06:11 PM
Anyone who says anything other than XCOM likely hasn't played it. I own both, but one can be beaten by just memorizing the layout or using a guide (VC), while the other is random and offers a new game every time.
---
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo
#7peter_888Posted 12/11/2012 5:07:49 PM
TheCyborgNinja posted...
Anyone who says anything other than XCOM likely hasn't played it. I own both, but one can be beaten by just memorizing the layout or using a guide (VC), while the other is random and offers a new game every time.

I've played both and and like VC better. I think Xcom is a great game but VC is my fav game this gen.
---
I'm a gamer dang it, not a pc gamer or a console gamer, just a gamer.
#8Dark_SpiretPosted 12/11/2012 6:43:42 PM(edited)
i think xcom is a better GAME while VC is a better EXPERIENCE. With VC you have the cool anime style, an interesting alternate world war story, good characters and some cool scenarios they put you in and in general its a longer game(30hours). You can level up your squad classes, weapons and your tank which factors tot he rpgness of it. Its a pretty unique game.

XCOM's presentation isnt as good, but its gameplay mechanics are more satisfying and indepth. They require more strategy to over come. Both games' difficulty can be pretty brutal, but you can actually lose xcom(!) if you dont plan right. Its mechanics actually go deeper than VC's does despite VC being considered more of an rpg. You can level up each individual soldier with new skills, customize their appearance, equipment ect. You also get to "build" your base of operations that can factor in to youre play style with having to worry about your bases resources, research and the world influence you have. The actual gameplay is only half the game where as VC is 90% normal gameplay/story and 10% upgrading, customizing ect. Theres also a lot of random aspect to XCOM which can mean more variations in what youre doing and seeing theoretically offering near limitless replay value though dont expect the areas or situations to be as well crafted as VC's.

cant go wrong with either, but id probably go for xcom just because of the raw gameplay expereince.
#9FiendingHardPosted 12/11/2012 7:11:00 PM
VC on PS3, XCOM on PC.
---
What is faith then but persistent hope in the face of relentless doubt.
Now Playing: NFS Most Wanted, The Walking Dead, ZoE HD Collection, Final Fantasy 9.
#10LuigiVampaSwag(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2012 11:10:34 PM
Thanks for all of the responses.

Still not sure which one I'll choose, but the randomization in XCOM's encounters kinda interests me
---