This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So... why exactly did Shadows of the Damned flop?

#1Large_TonberryPosted 12/12/2012 4:13:11 AM(edited)
I just picked it up on a whim yesterday, and the game is great. It's incredibly polished, has interesting art design and character models, the gameplay is like RE4 but better and smoother (the inclusion of a dodge roll gets a thumbs up from me). Plus it had Shinji Mikami & Suda51 on it, with Akira Yamaoka on music. Everything seems like it could easily have had mainstream success, especially with the sense of humour it has.

So how did this fail? I seriously don't get it. Was it just a lack of advertising? It got fairly good reviews, and it's sitting on a 77 on Metacritic. That's not bad by any means.
#2mogar002Posted 12/12/2012 4:11:29 AM(edited)
Made by Suda 51, that's kind of their thing.
---
I am Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Topics.
http://i33.tinypic.com/2hwco6d.jpg
#3spectermaster14Posted 12/12/2012 4:11:24 AM
No idea, thought it was fantastic myself. It's got some irksome little flaws, though. Unskippable cutscenes and such.
#4OrangeSchweesePosted 12/12/2012 4:11:40 AM
I bought it, seemed like it would be up my alley, and I do think it's fairly enjoyable, not to mention stylish, but I have to say that it feels a bit dated.

It reminds me of a cross between RE 4 and DMC.
#5doraemonllh1989Posted 12/12/2012 4:18:11 AM
lack of marketing

lack of replay value

game is too short

not resident evil 4
---
my grammar sucks and i dont care
disappointing game of the year = re6 (6.5/10)
#6ChaingunmasterPosted 12/12/2012 4:18:59 AM
It had no advertising, and some say it carried the Suda curse.
---
www.lucid-lives.com (My webcomic)
PSN and XBL id: Alos88
#7Da DoodPosted 12/12/2012 4:24:25 AM
It's basically RE4 Lite. Same thing, just a lot less.

I think it's a pretty good game.
---
And this time!
#8656stoogePosted 12/12/2012 4:26:12 AM
Because 90%of the gaming audience only buys games that IGN are paid buttloads to advertises and gives high scores too now. Sad but true.

I was looking through my cousins collection the other day and it was a sorry sight. Every CoD limited edition, every AssCreed limited edition, every Gears limited edition, GTAIV and FFXIII and XIII-2. (he had a few other 'AAA' limited editions but I've forgotten them)

The only two JRPGs he's ever played by the way.
---
*SPOILERS*----Mario dies!!!
#9Large_Tonberry(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2012 4:31:18 AM
656stooge posted...
Because 90%of the gaming audience only buys games that IGN are paid buttloads to advertises and gives high scores too now. Sad but true.

I was looking through my cousins collection the other day and it was a sorry sight. Every CoD limited edition, every AssCreed limited edition, every Gears limited edition, GTAIV and FFXIII and XIII-2. (he had a few other 'AAA' limited editions but I've forgotten them)

Reminds me of my friend's collection: every CoD & Assassin's Creed, and every yearly wrestling game. I took him to the Eurogamer Expo this year, and he hadn't even heard of any of the games there, other than the ones he owns.

He ended up getting really into gaming after that, and he's playing a lot more interesting stuff now. :p
#10spectermaster14Posted 12/12/2012 4:32:33 AM

Way to be pointlessly judgmental over video games.

Also, if anyone's interested in Shadows, check Big Lots if you have one nearby. I work at one and we got a bunch of games that never sold on Black Friday going on clearance and Shadows is eight bucks. Fantastic price.