This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do we really "own" the games we download online?

#21sirtonnePosted 12/12/2012 2:02:58 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#22sirtonnePosted 12/12/2012 2:04:08 PM
People sometimes use semantics and "technical" definitions of owning a game to say you don't actually own anything, only license it, but that's false.

Owning a physical copy of a game does give you ownership rights, such as resale, and even if you agree to a EULA stating otherwise, those wouldn't hold up in court VS consumer rights.

The same is true for digital copies, but since you download them through a service, it's easier to lose your game and be denied a re-download. However, the same consumer rights apply and if it ever went as far as litigation the consumer would win (I think there is actually a recent legal case of this in the UK with Steam, where the law stated Steam cannot deny consumers the same ownership rights as with retail).
#23chiefofsb78Posted 12/12/2012 2:13:31 PM
DocDelicious posted...
chiefofsb78 posted...
Golden Maven posted...
chiefofsb78 posted...
I OWN MY GAMES

You think you can pay $60 and actually own the intellectual property on the disc? The only thing you own is access to run the game. That's it.

Of course you dont own the RIGHTS to the game but i own it as in play it when ever i want i can sell it break it do what ever i want with it because i own it and payed for it Sony or the developers CAN NOT come take my games BECAUSE I OWN IT

They can't physically take the disk from you but they could decide that they're not going to let you play the game anymore and lock you out of it.

And exactly how are they gonna do that take online away thats all they can do and the PS3 would have to be connected to the internet to lock it i dont know about all games but my games work fine offline
#24chiefofsb78Posted 12/12/2012 2:20:10 PM
jubjub360 posted...
You are licensing the software itself. You own the disc but the actual programming on it you do not.

Owning your games and owning the license is 2 different things some of these people are confused i own my games because i bought them (key word is GAME) i do not own the license or the property i dont see how this thread went from saying you own your games to YOU DO NOT OWN THE PROPERTY like WTF
#25jubjub360Posted 12/12/2012 2:22:33 PM
chiefofsb78 posted...
jubjub360 posted...
You are licensing the software itself. You own the disc but the actual programming on it you do not.

Owning your games and owning the license is 2 different things some of these people are confused i own my games because i bought them (key word is GAME) i do not own the license or the property i dont see how this thread went from saying you own your games to YOU DO NOT OWN THE PROPERTY like WTF

You own the disk. You bought the disk and the license for the game. Seriously. We don't own any programming, unless you've made programming yourself and copy righted it.
---
F*** yo' MLA! It's all about that APA!
http://i.imgur.com/JF8gG.jpg
#26AsucaHayashiPosted 12/12/2012 2:25:23 PM
And exactly how are they gonna do that take online away thats all they can do and the PS3 would have to be connected to the internet to lock it i dont know about all games but my games work fine offline

mandatory updates in disc form included with new games or something.

there are plenty of ways they can do it and you wouldn't really know until it's too late and you've been locked out of using your other games.

the disc is the disc... the disc is not the game.
the game itself is the actual content of the disc and what you're paying for is the container of said content(the disc) and a license to use the content(game).
---
If console gaming is so cheap then why do I have to spend $600~ in order to play Super Mario Galaxy, Uncharted 3 and Halo 3?
#27AnonUnknownPosted 12/12/2012 2:37:30 PM
NE_PatriotsFan posted...
We have em until the day sony bankrupts.

OR they give us a way to backup and install them offline. Maybe from a PC, who knows.
#28PStrifePosted 12/12/2012 4:26:24 PM
Software licenses are a false concept made up by corporations to pretend that they own the product you rightfully purchased/own. Copyright is not what is being argued at the end of the day, they made the game, they certainly have property ownership/distribution rights. Good for them.

Thing is many non-corporate entities have their own licensing rights thwarted daily, and never defended by any of these same legal mumbo jumbo corporate peoples. Which is the true litmus test of the concept. As a result, do not take the software license corporate buzzword so seriously.

Good for corporations. Putting a few paragraphs into their product, just to pretend to control your private actions now.
#29R15KPosted 12/12/2012 5:04:30 PM
jubjub360 posted...

This is the only correct answer.

You guys should read more things that you agree to, one day that might be important.