This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Demon / Dark Souls fans, please explain why you don't want an easy mode....

#21kill_distroy(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2012 2:08:14 AM
Mud_Chan posted...
kill_distroy posted...
PVP could be split between the 2 difficulty settings, no need for them to be connected.

This would split the population, which would not be good. Additionally, just imagine all the griefers you would find on the easy server. A whole slew of one trick builds ensuring that even the easy mode players will stay in soul/hollow/offline form.

I would also like to clarify, I'm not opposed to making an easy mode for Battletoads just because I beat it on a 12" screen, but it didn't have an online mode. If this game was a single player experience, I would not mind at all. Unfortunately, someone playing on an easy server does have some fraction of an impact on my play and my fun levels. Greedy, yes.

Then kill the online for the easier mode. Remember, the souls series remains one for the hardcore fanbase, but that does not mean there should't be an option for other types of gamers.
---
Got it Memorized?
GT: Risev / PSN: RisevQ8
#22jubjub360Posted 12/13/2012 2:08:24 AM
kupo1705 posted...
jubjub360 posted...
Is this really all you have to bring to the table?

That's all that needs to be said.
Why would you want to change other games, instead of playing games you do like?

So your against having a game mode which you do not hav to play at all, and will not affect you in any way shape or form if you do not play it?

Again. Why?
---
"I believe games are incomplete when DLC is released, no matter the date!" Agrissa
http://i.imgur.com/JF8gG.jpg
#23kill_distroy(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2012 2:09:47 AM
kupo1705 posted...
jubjub360 posted...

So you're the type that opposes things that will not affect him in any way or form just because it's different that what you prefer?

saves me time trying to engage in a conversation with you.
---
Got it Memorized?
GT: Risev / PSN: RisevQ8
#24TexnophilePosted 12/13/2012 2:11:28 AM
kill_distroy posted...
Mud_Chan posted...
kill_distroy posted...
PVP could be split between the 2 difficulty settings, no need for them to be connected.

This would split the population, which would not be good. Additionally, just imagine all the griefers you would find on the easy server. A whole slew of one trick builds ensuring that even the easy mode players will stay in soul/hollow/offline form.

I would also like to clarify, I'm not opposed to making an easy mode for Battletoads just because I beat it on a 12" screen, but it didn't have an online mode. If this game was a single player experience, I would not mind at all. Unfortunately, someone playing on an easy server does have some fraction of an impact on my play and my fun levels. Greedy, yes.

Then kill the online for the easier mode. Remember, the souls series remains one for the hardcore fanbase, but that does not mean there should't be an option for other types of gamers.

That would mean less people to summon or invade.
---
"Nothing has ever been more insupportable for a man and a human society than freedom." -The Grand Inquisitor
#25B_COWPosted 12/13/2012 2:11:36 AM
kill_distroy posted...
B_COW posted...
The most challenging aspect in the Souls series was how the enemy fought back.
The major difference between difficulty modes in most games is that harder difficulties correspond to higher HP and higher damage output from the AI.
Basically, even if a casual played Dark Souls on easy mode, where he could take 10x more damage before death and could kill enemies 5 times as fast wouldn't make much of a difference if the player can't land a hit to begin with. The Soul series was more about tactics and reactions as opposed to OP gear and numerical values. Much like the Monster Hunter games, they only become "easier" once the player begins to adapt.
Essentially, the only way to cater to the players who fail to adapt the mechanics of the game is to entirely rewrite the AI programming. Huge delays before attacks, reduced possibilities for the player to be stunned, and an overall dumbed down version of a beautiful game. Not only is the though of intentionally ruining a great game disrespectful to the creators of this masterpiece, but it is also a huge undertaking to attempt to recode an entire game just so the player can walk through the game. I'd much rather the time and effort go towards other aspects of improving the game to keep it's one definition true : Challenging.

I disagree. I think that most deaths in souls games come from talking a big or receiving too much damage in 1 hit or in a very short amount of time. If the easier difficulty only affects the amount of damage you deal and is being dealt to you then it could easily work. Other things are by design and should still be kept as part of the experience. After all, I am not talking about an easy mode, but an "easier" mode.

But then it's not really the same game.... Fighting a giant Iron Golem who hits you head on with a 10 ton axe SHOULD be fatal. It wouldn't make sense if the player only received 10% damage, then turned around and poked the same boss with a dagger to knock off 10% of his health.

It'd be like Skyrim, nearly any problem can be solved by sliding the difficulty level all the way down so dragon fire breath is about as damaging as a stream of foamy bubbles.

I don't like the idea of making the player character nearly invincible so someone can just cheese their way through an entire story. Some people do, and that's fine, but a game like the Soul series has never been about that. Why must casuals demand the distortion of a game so they can get their grubby paws on it ? If you can't hang that's okay, but go back to Epic Mickey, Skyrim or CoD so the players who like a challenge don't get screwed out of an amazing series. It's not for you...accept it and move on.

When I say you I'm not actually directing this towards you, TC, but just towards the casual market in general.
---
Some people say cucumbers taste better pickled.
#26kupo1705Posted 12/13/2012 2:11:46 AM
jubjub360 posted...
kupo1705 posted...
jubjub360 posted...

So your against having a game mode which you do not hav to play at all, and will not affect you in any way shape or form if you do not play it?

Again. Why?

Why does that mode need to exist?
The difficulty is part of the game.
I want a mode in CoD that makes the game aim for me because I don't like aiming myself.
That makes no sense, and neither does this.

And there is no way to lower the difficulty without it affecting the regular game.
#27Stanger5150Posted 12/13/2012 2:12:17 AM
Dark Souls kicks my ass sometimes just like Battletoads does, but I would not support an easier difficulty in either one. I have yet to beat Battletoads after 20 goddamn years because I won't let that one near my Game Genie. I feel the same about Dark Souls. Anyone can get good at it with good old school practice and patience.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Assassin's Creed III, Okami HD, Nier, Folklore, Dishonored, Dragon Age II, The Lone Ranger
#28Mud_ChanPosted 12/13/2012 2:13:04 AM
kill_distroy posted...
Then kill the online for the easier mode..

Not the point I was making. Even with an offline only mode that is eliminating potential allies and enemies. It impacts server population.

My personal preference against an easy mode in this game is specifically to keep everything in one nice, large pool. Of course, this is just an opinion.
---
{o,o} We're owl exterminators!
/),_,) . Mud-Chan / Mud-Sama
#29jubjub360Posted 12/13/2012 2:13:50 AM
kupo1705 posted...
jubjub360 posted...
kupo1705 posted...
jubjub360 posted...

Again. Why?

Why does that mode need to exist?
The difficulty is part of the game.
I want a mode in CoD that makes the game aim for me because I don't like aiming myself.
That makes no sense, and neither does this.

And there is no way to lower the difficulty without it affecting the regular game.

So your against a mode you do not have to play and will not affect you for the sake of hating it.

Unless you can give an actual reason for it. For example: you will feel the need to play it. Then that is understandable.
---
"I believe games are incomplete when DLC is released, no matter the date!" Agrissa
http://i.imgur.com/JF8gG.jpg
#30KiyomasaPosted 12/13/2012 2:14:40 AM
kill_distroy posted...
Gamers have different tastes. Some crave brutal difficulty and a sense if reward while others want a great experience they can easily enjoy. For me, I got the latter with Dark souls. So why can't others get that kind of experience just because of some weird thing some fans of the series believe they are entitled to?

You're the one acting entitled. Why do you think you get to have an easier game just because?
---
ALL CREATURE WILL DIE AND ALL THE THINGS WILL BE BROKEN. THAT'S THE LAW OF SAMURAI.