This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Demon / Dark Souls fans, please explain why you don't want an easy mode....

#461F_WolfPosted 12/13/2012 9:34:11 AM
kill_distroy posted...
......in the game.

I'm not talking about about the game being made easy or being forced to play it, but the addition of an easier mode for those more casual players out there. What makes you so against it?

Because they feel that Dark Souls is a "hard" game, and feel that allowing people to play it on easy mode would "cheapen" their experience, making the game accessible to a larger crowd of "casuals" who don't deserve to play it.

The irony is the game isn't "hard" at all. It's cheap. It's easy as hell to beat once you get used to the cheapness, and offers zero satisfaction to anyone that acutally realized the difference between real difficulty through circumstance and false difficulty through cheapness.
#462Mr_FeeshPosted 12/13/2012 9:35:05 AM
Magoo111 posted...
ITT: Adding an Easy option = changing the game across the board for everyone

The addition of Easy is to AVOID that very thing, so it's ridiculous how you all are complaining about it.

An easy option would split the online player base and give people unwilling to learn the game a way out of actually learning how to play. It -does- change the game for the rest of us, as it not only changes the amount of players we can co-op or fight with, but also robs potential good players of the chance to learn, weakening the community overall. It is easy to switch to a lower mode when frustrated and an easy mode will drive plenty of players that could become proficient Souls players with some practice.

-or-

An easy mode would encourage people who would have otherwise quit to keep playing the game at a more comfortable difficulty level, while the hardcore fanbase that has to metagame out the ass just to be able to play with each other due to the game's bizarre multiplayer mechanics will continue doing just that.
---
NAKNAKNAKNAKNAKNAKNAK
#463Space_MonkyPosted 12/13/2012 9:38:04 AM
F_Wolf posted...
kill_distroy posted...
......in the game.

I'm not talking about about the game being made easy or being forced to play it, but the addition of an easier mode for those more casual players out there. What makes you so against it?

Because they feel that Dark Souls is a "hard" game, and feel that allowing people to play it on easy mode would "cheapen" their experience, making the game accessible to a larger crowd of "casuals" who don't deserve to play it.

The irony is the game isn't "hard" at all. It's cheap. It's easy as hell to beat once you get used to the cheapness, and offers zero satisfaction to anyone that acutally realized the difference between real difficulty through circumstance and false difficulty through cheapness.

omg, this. thank you.
---
The fiction will see the real.
#464ScreamingMidgetPosted 12/13/2012 9:38:27 AM
Le_Derpstick posted...
lolol elitist trolls bein elitist trolls

I think it should have it for people who want it, but I'm never gonna play these s*** games anyway. I like having fun in games, not being a masochist.

retroGRAD3 posted...
Because dark souls fans are elitist pricks. nuff said.

ScreamingMidget posted...
Also, I find it funny that people are called "whiny elitists" for enjoying great games now, says a lot about today's gamers.

Thanks for proving my point.

It's also funny that apparently Souls games are no fun, even though they are 2 of the very best games this gen. Do you really think people love these games because they are NOT fun?
#465jon davisPosted 12/13/2012 9:39:55 AM
Patrickmahan posted...
jon davis posted...
Patrickmahan posted...
Life doesn't change to make things easier for you.... why should Dark Souls?

When I come to a challenge in real life, I don't cry and demand it be made easier... I work out a solution to overcome it.

That Dark Knight giving you trouble down the hall? Learn to parry. Learn magic. Learn circle strafe. etc etc etc. Don't toss your controller and sell the game cause its 'too hard'. You won't get anywhere in life with THAT attitude.

What happens when your JOB becomes a challenge? Are you just going to quit and stop showing up for work?

Fail boat, games are nothing like real life.

Wow I can't make an arguement against THAT logic.

/sarcasm

Go on then.
---
Strength is the only thing that matters in this world, everything else is just a delusion for the weak.
#466PatrickmahanPosted 12/13/2012 9:40:07 AM
Aisien posted...
Please don't dumb down all casuals to one big incompetent category. I know many of them who can actually toughen up and play games as they are. Just because many games offer plenty of handholding, don't expect all casuals to want them. World is not that black and white.

The same can be said for the 'elitists' just differently.

Sadly most of these posts seem to be just saying "Don't dumb it down for casuals" or "They don't want easy mode cause it hurts their ego."

There's maybe been a few constructive posts here.
#467jon davisPosted 12/13/2012 9:41:40 AM
Le_Derpstick posted...
lolol elitist trolls bein elitist trolls

I think it should have it for people who want it, but I'm never gonna play these s*** games anyway. I like having fun in games, not being a masochist.

retroGRAD3 posted...
Because dark souls fans are elitist pricks. nuff said.

Also, I find it funny that people are called "whiny elitists" for enjoying great games now, says a lot about today's gamers.

Thanks for proving my point.

It's also funny that apparently Souls games are no fun, even though they are 2 of the very best games this gen. Do you really think people love these games because they are NOT fun?

It not that you enjoy great games, its that you think your some how better than other people because you play hard/cheap games.
---
Strength is the only thing that matters in this world, everything else is just a delusion for the weak.
#468Magoo111Posted 12/13/2012 9:42:00 AM
Mr_Feesh posted...
Magoo111 posted...
ITT: Adding an Easy option = changing the game across the board for everyone

The addition of Easy is to AVOID that very thing, so it's ridiculous how you all are complaining about it.

An easy option would split the online player base and give people unwilling to learn the game a way out of actually learning how to play. It -does- change the game for the rest of us, as it not only changes the amount of players we can co-op or fight with, but also robs potential good players of the chance to learn, weakening the community overall. It is easy to switch to a lower mode when frustrated and an easy mode will drive plenty of players that could become proficient Souls players with some practice.

-or-

An easy mode would encourage people who would have otherwise quit to keep playing the game at a more comfortable difficulty level, while the hardcore fanbase that has to metagame out the ass just to be able to play with each other due to the game's bizarre multiplayer mechanics will continue doing just that.

Which would still split the player-base and weaken the community as a whole. Really, you didn't say anything at all that refutes my point.
---
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
#469methosagainPosted 12/13/2012 9:42:07 AM
Adding a easy difficulty is just one more sign that the Japanese have lost touch with reality, so here we are with a game who's entire success and who's fanbase is based around its challenging gameplay, and they want to change that? Remember when Tecmo trade this crap with the NG series, yeah remember how they turned out? Adding a easy difficulty is ruining the esscense of the game, and will do nothing to expand its userbase since those interested in the game bought it anyway.
#470OrangeSchweesePosted 12/13/2012 9:43:38 AM
Guys....This:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/09/06/dark-souls-developer-says-easy-mode-comments-were-a-translation-error/