This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Demon / Dark Souls fans, please explain why you don't want an easy mode....

#471Magoo111Posted 12/13/2012 9:45:47 AM
We know, O...

Well...scratch that. I know, Orange. I still have a discussion going with someone, though, that has nothing to do with the translation error to begin with.
---
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
#472lukaselfPosted 12/13/2012 9:45:58 AM
OrangeSchweese posted...
Guys....This:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/09/06/dark-souls-developer-says-easy-mode-comments-were-a-translation-error/

Argument Solved. Praise the Sun !
#473ScreamingMidgetPosted 12/13/2012 9:46:55 AM
jon davis posted...
It not that you enjoy great games, its that you think your some how better than other people because you play hard/cheap games.

There's something severely wrong with your perception of the average Souls fan. Not everyone is Greer.

They are also not cheap, most deaths are your own fault. Of course "hard" is subjective, since everyone has different reaction times etc., but the difficulty is completely exaggerated. If you are willing to learn the goddamn game, you will not have major problems playing it.
#474PatrickmahanPosted 12/13/2012 9:47:03 AM
jon davis posted...
Patrickmahan posted...
jon davis posted...
Patrickmahan posted...
Life doesn't change to make things easier for you.... why should Dark Souls?

When I come to a challenge in real life, I don't cry and demand it be made easier... I work out a solution to overcome it.

That Dark Knight giving you trouble down the hall? Learn to parry. Learn magic. Learn circle strafe. etc etc etc. Don't toss your controller and sell the game cause its 'too hard'. You won't get anywhere in life with THAT attitude.

What happens when your JOB becomes a challenge? Are you just going to quit and stop showing up for work?

Fail boat, games are nothing like real life.

Wow I can't make an arguement against THAT logic.

/sarcasm

Go on then.

Have you never done anything in real life that reminded you of a game? Or even made a game out of it in your head?

And even then, if games are nothing like real life then how do you explain something like the wildly popular 'The Sims' games?

PLUS, games DO exist in real life... thats just a fact. I can walk to my living room and see a game on the shelf. I can alt-tab this browser and see a game on my desktop... heck we are even TALKING about a game right now.

But to be honest, I don't know why I bother replying. I'm sure all I'll get is a single sentence response that'll be devoid of any explanation at all.
#475Mr_FeeshPosted 12/13/2012 9:51:40 AM
Magoo111 posted...
Mr_Feesh posted...
Magoo111 posted...
ITT: Adding an Easy option = changing the game across the board for everyone

The addition of Easy is to AVOID that very thing, so it's ridiculous how you all are complaining about it.

An easy option would split the online player base and give people unwilling to learn the game a way out of actually learning how to play. It -does- change the game for the rest of us, as it not only changes the amount of players we can co-op or fight with, but also robs potential good players of the chance to learn, weakening the community overall. It is easy to switch to a lower mode when frustrated and an easy mode will drive plenty of players that could become proficient Souls players with some practice.

-or-

An easy mode would encourage people who would have otherwise quit to keep playing the game at a more comfortable difficulty level, while the hardcore fanbase that has to metagame out the ass just to be able to play with each other due to the game's bizarre multiplayer mechanics will continue doing just that.

Which would still split the player-base and weaken the community as a whole. Really, you didn't say anything at all that refutes my point.

All I can really say is after having finished the game, it's still too irritating for me to really enjoy playing it. As much as I enjoy the combat and feel of the setting, I'll probably never touch it again. If it were just a little bit easier, I would probably at least have played through more than once.

For reference, I thought Demon's Souls' difficulty was about right overall.
---
NAKNAKNAKNAKNAKNAKNAK
#476blitz_0623Posted 12/13/2012 9:51:53 AM
Patrickmahan posted...
Have you never done anything in real life that reminded you of a game? Or even made a game out of it in your head?

And even then, if games are nothing like real life then how do you explain something like the wildly popular 'The Sims' games?

PLUS, games DO exist in real life... thats just a fact. I can walk to my living room and see a game on the shelf. I can alt-tab this browser and see a game on my desktop... heck we are even TALKING about a game right now.

But to be honest, I don't know why I bother replying. I'm sure all I'll get is a single sentence response that'll be devoid of any explanation at all.

You fail to realize that there are some people who just want to enjoy a game. And most of them don't enjoy a game where they have to "learn" to be GOOD. Trust me I hate these kinds of people but more often than not that's the type of attitude you see now. Too many games are being casualized and dumbed down just to cater to them and it results in good sales. We really can't blame FS if they decide to go this route.
#477XdemonAlucardPosted 12/13/2012 9:54:13 AM
kewldude475 posted...
XdemonAlucard posted...
They will never know how rewarding it is if they can take an easy way out when things get tough.

Oh noes! People aren't playing the game the way I think they should!

Exactly, I'd rather have people who can't handle the game not play it at all than for the reputation of the game to be ruined by people who play easy, don't get the real experience, find it boring, and then go around saying "I don't get what the big deal is, this game isn't that great".
---
"Gimme food good guy!"
#478kewldude475Posted 12/13/2012 9:55:52 AM
XdemonAlucard posted...
kewldude475 posted...
XdemonAlucard posted...
They will never know how rewarding it is if they can take an easy way out when things get tough.

Oh noes! People aren't playing the game the way I think they should!

Exactly, I'd rather have people who can't handle the game not play it at all than for the reputation of the game to be ruined by people who play easy, don't get the real experience, find it boring, and then go around saying "I don't get what the big deal is, this game isn't that great".

I kno rite! Dey aren't 1337 enough to play this game!
---
PS3/Vita PSN: kewldude475; 3DS FC: 4253-3798-3218; Steam: kewldude475
Now playing: Persona 3: FES, Assassin's Creed 2, Resident Evil 6
#479jon davisPosted 12/13/2012 9:56:20 AM
Patrickmahan posted...
jon davis posted...
Patrickmahan posted...
jon davis posted...
Patrickmahan posted...
Life doesn't change to make things easier for you.... why should Dark Souls?

When I come to a challenge in real life, I don't cry and demand it be made easier... I work out a solution to overcome it.

That Dark Knight giving you trouble down the hall? Learn to parry. Learn magic. Learn circle strafe. etc etc etc. Don't toss your controller and sell the game cause its 'too hard'. You won't get anywhere in life with THAT attitude.

What happens when your JOB becomes a challenge? Are you just going to quit and stop showing up for work?

Fail boat, games are nothing like real life.

Wow I can't make an arguement against THAT logic.

/sarcasm

Go on then.

Do not try to guide my replies with that last sentence BS.

What have games existing as physical items got to do with your bollocks comment equating wanting to play a game on an easier setting with taking the easy route through life?

People play games to relax or "escape reality" for a bit thus play on an easier setting, but because they do this it doesn't mean they take the "easy mode" option in real life.
---
Strength is the only thing that matters in this world, everything else is just a delusion for the weak.
#480NepentheNeoPosted 12/13/2012 9:57:57 AM
Not going to trawl through all of these pages.

Anyway, as a fan of the first game at least (haven't got the sequel yet), I would welcome an easy mode for those who want it. It doesn't hurt me or others and when it comes to a hobby - the more the merrier, right? There's more to the Souls games than difficulty. The atmosphere, the story, the music are all interesting and not everyone has the time or desire for sometimes cheap tactics. Besides sometimes it's nice to simply stroll, other times it's nice to suffer.