This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Demon / Dark Souls fans, please explain why you don't want an easy mode....

#481PatrickmahanPosted 12/13/2012 10:02:29 AM
jon davis posted...
Life doesn't change to make things easier for you.... why should Dark Souls?

When I come to a challenge in real life, I don't cry and demand it be made easier... I work out a solution to overcome it.

That Dark Knight giving you trouble down the hall? Learn to parry. Learn magic. Learn circle strafe. etc etc etc. Don't toss your controller and sell the game cause its 'too hard'. You won't get anywhere in life with THAT attitude.

What happens when your JOB becomes a challenge? Are you just going to quit and stop showing up for work?

Fail boat, games are nothing like real life.

Wow I can't make an arguement against THAT logic.

/sarcasm

Go on then.

Have you never done anything in real life that reminded you of a game? Or even made a game out of it in your head?

And even then, if games are nothing like real life then how do you explain something like the wildly popular 'The Sims' games?

PLUS, games DO exist in real life... thats just a fact. I can walk to my living room and see a game on the shelf. I can alt-tab this browser and see a game on my desktop... heck we are even TALKING about a game right now.

But to be honest, I don't know why I bother replying. I'm sure all I'll get is a single sentence response that'll be devoid of any explanation at all.

Do not try to guide my replies with that last sentence BS.

What have games existing as physical items got to do with your bollocks comment equating wanting to play a game on an easier setting with taking the easy route through life?

People play games to relax or "escape reality" for a bit thus play on an easier setting, but because they do this it doesn't mean they take the "easy mode" option in real life.

Well when your argument is "Fail boat (whatever that 4chan term means), games are nothing like real life." how am I to know what your reasoning is?
#482Magoo111Posted 12/13/2012 10:03:16 AM
All I can really say is after having finished the game, it's still too irritating for me to really enjoy playing it. As much as I enjoy the combat and feel of the setting, I'll probably never touch it again. If it were just a little bit easier, I would probably at least have played through more than once.

For reference, I thought Demon's Souls' difficulty was about right overall.

That's unfortunate, but it's also a case of personal preference. I personally found Demon's harder in a few aspects myself.

I just don't feel like personal preference is a good argument for adding an easy mode to a game that doesn't need one.
---
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
#483il_capitanoPosted 12/13/2012 10:06:18 AM
There's already an easy mode, its called level grinding or summoning an op player to help you.

Not sure why this topic has 480 posts.
---
Farewell MGO, the first love will never be forgotten. 06/12/12
#484GeminiX7Posted 12/13/2012 10:07:38 AM
"No Gamer left Behind"

The difficulty of the game almost solely from not taking the time to watch your surroundings or pay attention and instead just moving recklessly. Yes, some enemies do alot of damage in single blows, but from the get-go, you can get shields that block 100% of the damage, get weapons that do ridiculous amount of backstab damage, and summon other players to help you get through the more difficult parts.

The only people who have the idea of the "Souls elitist" in thier heads are those who never got far in the game. It was a frustrating game, hard at times, but never impossible. Anyone who played the game for enough time never cursed the game when they died. You never went "oh, that enemy is so cheap", it was always "damn, I didn't see that coming" or "Damn, I should have done this or that."

The game is rewarding and refreshing because it only becomes easier when you take the time to learn the game yourself. You could read a guide telling you how to go through the entire game, but unless you learn the timing of enemy attacks or how to dodge traps and such, it meant nothing. Everything in this game had that sort of vibe. The plot and background story was extremely rich, but only if you went out of your way to learn it and piece it together. Everything about the game world had a sort of mystery and appeal. One small man/woman against the unknown.

An easy mode takes that away. It allows people to rush, to not learn from thier mistakes. Why learn enemy attacks when I could just find the fastest weapon available and hack my way through? If the fear of dying is lost, the core of the game(fear of the unknown) is lost as well, and at that point, the only reason you are playing the game is to say that you beat a Souls game(because, again, that "Souls elitist" mentality only exists in your minds)

Others have given valid reasons for not wanting an easy mode, but its as simple as not every game needs to be standardized for everyone. We don't make every test easy so everyone gets an A. We don't make every food bland so people who can't eat spicy dishes can enjoy it. A GED isn't enough to get into an Ivy League school.

If you want to enjoy a Souls game, play it the way it was meant to be played. Die, die again, die some more, and LEARN.
---
"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
#485kylemcauliffe15Posted 12/13/2012 10:12:11 AM
GeminiX7 posted...
"No Gamer left Behind"

The difficulty of the game almost solely from not taking the time to watch your surroundings or pay attention and instead just moving recklessly. Yes, some enemies do alot of damage in single blows, but from the get-go, you can get shields that block 100% of the damage, get weapons that do ridiculous amount of backstab damage, and summon other players to help you get through the more difficult parts.

The only people who have the idea of the "Souls elitist" in thier heads are those who never got far in the game. It was a frustrating game, hard at times, but never impossible. Anyone who played the game for enough time never cursed the game when they died. You never went "oh, that enemy is so cheap", it was always "damn, I didn't see that coming" or "Damn, I should have done this or that."

The game is rewarding and refreshing because it only becomes easier when you take the time to learn the game yourself. You could read a guide telling you how to go through the entire game, but unless you learn the timing of enemy attacks or how to dodge traps and such, it meant nothing. Everything in this game had that sort of vibe. The plot and background story was extremely rich, but only if you went out of your way to learn it and piece it together. Everything about the game world had a sort of mystery and appeal. One small man/woman against the unknown.

An easy mode takes that away. It allows people to rush, to not learn from thier mistakes. Why learn enemy attacks when I could just find the fastest weapon available and hack my way through? If the fear of dying is lost, the core of the game(fear of the unknown) is lost as well, and at that point, the only reason you are playing the game is to say that you beat a Souls game(because, again, that "Souls elitist" mentality only exists in your minds)

Others have given valid reasons for not wanting an easy mode, but its as simple as not every game needs to be standardized for everyone. We don't make every test easy so everyone gets an A. We don't make every food bland so people who can't eat spicy dishes can enjoy it. A GED isn't enough to get into an Ivy League school.

If you want to enjoy a Souls game, play it the way it was meant to be played. Die, die again, die some more, and LEARN.

*claps
---
PSN: Gasshu-kun
The thermometer of success is merely the jealousy of the malcontents. - Salvador Dali
#486mike_testPosted 12/13/2012 10:15:17 AM
The high difficulty is the whole point of the Souls games. It is literally what makes Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. It's their cornerstone.

The people I've heard complaining about how hard the games are have been people who used cheats or other exploits to try and get through the games. Look, I get it, you just want to get through the game. That thought always crosses my mind whenever I play the game. But if you cheat, you're not doing yourself any favors. That's like taking the final exam of your class and complaining that it's too hard, so you cheat on it, or you wish it was dumbed down. If you had taken the time to study for the test, then you would have been totally capable of acing the exam instead of having to cheat on it. All difficulty in life requires is that you make the effort to tackle them. That's it. The satisfaction you will get from Dark Souls lies not so much in the game enjoyment itself, but in your push to become a much better, stronger, and tougher gamer. If you play the game on an easier difficulty, you are going to be bored out of your mind. Dark Souls never changes the main focus of what you're doing, which is survival. The high difficulty is what makes that constant need for survival rewarding. Offer an easier way past that difficulty, and you will be so bored of the repetitive survival. Don't do yourself a disservice and just accept the brutality for what it is: neverending.
#487ScreamingMidgetPosted 12/13/2012 10:16:53 AM
GeminiX7 posted...
"No Gamer left Behind"

/thread
#488joeharamatheoPosted 12/13/2012 10:18:48 AM
GeminiX7 posted...
"No Gamer left Behind"

this, right here, is the core mechanic of the souls games. you can't make that easier, unless you can magically make individuals playing it less stupid. you can cry all day about how that's an 'elitist' statement, wah wah wah, but it doesn't change the truth one bit. nor will it make you any better at the game

ez mode would be a total waste. go play skyrim
#489drointhewindPosted 12/13/2012 10:18:49 AM
kupo1705 posted...
If you need an easy mode, you don't deserve to play it.

End of topic right there
---
On DLC: ""You know what would make this better? Paying more money."- Cracked.com
#490theshovellerPosted 12/13/2012 10:19:24 AM
mike_test posted...
The high difficulty is the whole point of the Souls games. It is literally what makes Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. It's their cornerstone.

The people I've heard complaining about how hard the games are have been people who used cheats or other exploits to try and get through the games. Look, I get it, you just want to get through the game. That thought always crosses my mind whenever I play the game. But if you cheat, you're not doing yourself any favors. That's like taking the final exam of your class and complaining that it's too hard, so you cheat on it, or you wish it was dumbed down. If you had taken the time to study for the test, then you would have been totally capable of acing the exam instead of having to cheat on it. All difficulty in life requires is that you make the effort to tackle them. That's it. The satisfaction you will get from Dark Souls lies not so much in the game enjoyment itself, but in your push to become a much better, stronger, and tougher gamer. If you play the game on an easier difficulty, you are going to be bored out of your mind. Dark Souls never changes the main focus of what you're doing, which is survival. The high difficulty is what makes that constant need for survival rewarding. Offer an easier way past that difficulty, and you will be so bored of the repetitive survival. Don't do yourself a disservice and just accept the brutality for what it is: neverending.

Odd, I've never used cheats and exploits to get through games, and I thought they were a tad too hard.

Did anyone read my post a while back about what I think regarding implementation of an easier difficulty in the game, or was it passed over in lieu of a pissing contest?