This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Souls games, easy mode? Part 2

#1theshovellerPosted 12/13/2012 10:05:40 AM(edited)
Assuming balance issues regarding PvP can be worked out and the original difficulty level maintained, would you be for or against an easier difficulty level for the Souls games? - Results (98 votes)
Yes
26.53% (26 votes)
No
55.1% (54 votes)
No opinion
15.31% (15 votes)
It depends - see my post for clarification
3.06% (3 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Previous thread:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927750-playstation-3/64904179

Edit: Clarification on the poll question, "yes" means you're for an easier difficulty option, "no" means you're against an easier difficulty option.

Continuing the discussion, because I think it could be good if it can remain a healthy discussion.

My thoughts on it, from a post in the previous thread:

I'd be down for easier difficulties in it, but I probably still wouldn't play them. They're just not my thing - not a fan of random people coming into my game I'm enjoying on my own and trying to kill me. It's not fun for me, and me "doing it back to them" still isn't fun for me. Still, the easier difficulty would attempt to bring in more people and thus more potential customers. It'd be tricky to do though, given the player-on-player aspect of the game.

Maybe just "easy" and "hard," and thus it's only splitting the community up between people who play the game more for fun and the people who enjoy both the difficulty of the old games and the people who want real grief-fests? Something would have to be done for invading on the easy mode, though, that wouldn't make it impossible for the invader, but also would limit the griefing potential of good players stomping through easy mode just to kill people who wanted to relax a bit more.
#2muggyPosted 12/13/2012 9:43:17 AM
Black Phantoms will end a casual's interest in this game. There will be hundreds of "I wish people would stop invading my game" topics and "I though there was going to be a Zelda mode". Experienced players will grief casuals. There's no stopping it.
#3kupo1705Posted 12/13/2012 9:45:21 AM
Just summon phantoms if you want easy mode.
#4OrangeSchweesePosted 12/13/2012 9:48:07 AM(edited)
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/09/06/dark-souls-developer-says-easy-mode-comments-were-a-translation-error/

There's no Easy Mode, but it will be more accessible than Dark Souls.
#5CammyApplePosted 12/13/2012 9:48:21 AM
People need to stop using the term "casuals". Guess what, everyone is a "casual" compared to someone else. ~ Hell compared to PC gamers all console gamers are casuals. Hell compared to Nethack the souls games are for casuals.
#6theshoveller(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2012 9:49:42 AM
muggy posted...
Black Phantoms will end a casual's interest in this game. There will be hundreds of "I wish people would stop invading my game" topics and "I though there was going to be a Zelda mode". Experienced players will grief casuals. There's no stopping it.

I know, and I'm trying to think of a way that would somewhat balance out power levels between people. For instance, if someone's playing Easy, then only Easy players can invade them. So a griefer makes an easy account and grief them, right? Well, why not make it so easy mode also gives penalties if you're outside a level range of the person playing that you're invading? If you're level 300, and the guy you're invading is level 15, then the level 300 guy would suffer a massive penalty while invading that other guy's world.

It wouldn't be perfect, and it won't help if the skilled is invading the unskilled, but it would make it "easy." Possibly have the same thing if you go in to help someone, too, so that it's not too easy.
#7RayconPosted 12/13/2012 9:54:10 AM
I don't understand the poll question.

"would you be for or against an easier difficulty level for the Souls games?"

If I say yes, is that yes I'm for the easier difficulty? Or yes I'm against an easier difficulty?
---
"Clue in, girl! Get in that trap room and grab that battery while I, a bad-ass convict, play this beautiful piano melody."-MorphineChild on REŘ
#8muggyPosted 12/13/2012 9:56:00 AM
CammyApple posted...
People need to stop using the term "casuals". Guess what, everyone is a "casual"

Then the term needs to be used.
#9AtelierCorvusPosted 12/13/2012 10:00:30 AM
Too many fatties out there who get their egos pumped by being told they're awesome for beating a "hard" game or mastering a "hard" PVP system that is only hard because the developers just use the excuse of:

"Well <PC Ports / PVP / insert-facet-of-gameplay-here> isn't really our forte so we're just doing our best. . . "

Which is their excuse for making a game where 90% of PVP skill revolves around abusing lag.and chronic faults in the combat system.
---
I use Gamefaqs as a toilet to crap out as much hate and venom as possible so I can be happy and nice in everything else I do. sorry Gamefaqs =/
#10servb0tsPosted 12/13/2012 10:00:36 AM
Why aren't y'all making Dark Souls topics on Dark Souls board? get better results.
---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems. 08/18/11 R.I.P Megaman Legends 3
-PS3 FFXIV ARR 2.0 Day 1 Buy I can't wait to maxout Summoner