This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are people so against Online Passes?

#21mogar002Posted 12/13/2012 6:21:52 PM
TC is a new user, not sure why someone would take a person that hides behind an alt seriously in the first place.
---
I am Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Topics.
http://i33.tinypic.com/2hwco6d.jpg
#22Raven_CyarmPosted 12/13/2012 6:22:17 PM
BokuxPico posted...
Gotta love corporate apologists

Gotta love cheapskates who think they're entitled to the same experience as paying customers.
---
#AntiSmark
http://www.youtube.com/RavenCyarm
#23agrissaPosted 12/13/2012 6:25:30 PM
Raven_Cyarm posted...
Gotta love cheapskates who think they're entitled to the same experience as paying customers.

LOL used game buyers are paying customers too. The online pass has already been paid for the first time the game is bought. Online pass is publishers double dipping in profits. Get your facts right before insulting others. Publishers are the cheapskates that think they're entitled to profits from used game sales.
---
I had faith in humanity until I discovered Internet Message Boards.
#24NicodimusPosted 12/13/2012 6:26:55 PM
Personally I've never understood people who buy used to save a measly $5 in the first place. Saving $5 is that important that you'd rather have a potentially scratched up version of the game?

...what?

A scratched up blu-ray disc? Even if you REALLY try, they're almost impossible to scratch. I guess you have a point if you're buying 360 or Wii games, but not PS3.
#25OzzieArcanePosted 12/13/2012 6:30:12 PM
agrissa posted...
LOL used game buyers are paying customers too.

Not to the publisher. As far as they're concerned you don't exist. I'm not arguing about it being right or wrong but to the publisher you are not a customer. Honestly this is nothing new and PC gamers have had to deal with it before the PS3 or X-Box 360 even existed.

Also it costs money to keep servers running or did you not hear about Gamespy suddenly closing servers on a ton of games cause the publishers hadn't paid them in years?
---
Check out reviews by me and my friends at www.reviewersunknown.com
#26agrissaPosted 12/13/2012 6:38:57 PM
OzzieArcane posted...
Also it costs money to keep servers running

Which is why the first time the game was bought, money was paid for the online pass to keep the servers running. When the new game buyer sells the game, he obviously won't be using the server anymore. The used game buyer will be using it in his place from now on. The sell of used games does NOT increase the traffic of a publisher's servers! Online pass is publishers trying to milk money where they don't deserve it. They are double dipping in profits. No ifs and buts and ors here.
---
#27PringerXPosted 12/13/2012 6:40:02 PM
I can't understand why anyone would be for online passes. They don't provide anything to anyone. They only exist to limit people who choose to buy their games used. But I guess these days it's just cool to look like you're a defender of a company and their profits.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/GameOverComesAll
#28agrissaPosted 12/13/2012 6:41:50 PM
PringerX posted...
But I guess these days it's just cool to look like you're a defender of a company and their profits.

Someone needs to tell the Corporate Apologists that in fact, they DON'T look cool at all. They look like *modded*.
---
#29OzzieArcanePosted 12/13/2012 6:47:51 PM
agrissa posted...
OzzieArcane posted...
Also it costs money to keep servers running

Which is why the first time the game was bought, money was paid for the online pass to keep the servers running. When the new game buyer sells the game, he obviously won't be using the server anymore. The used game buyer will be using it in his place from now on. The sell of used games does NOT increase the traffic of a publisher's servers! Online pass is publishers trying to milk money where they don't deserve it. They are double dipping in profits. No ifs and buts and ors here.

Yeah so instead the servers would just get shut down because people are still playing it while no money is coming in like all the games that just got shut down on Gamespy that the original owners of the games were still playing.

PringerX posted...
I can't understand why anyone would be for online passes. They don't provide anything to anyone. They only exist to limit people who choose to buy their games used. But I guess these days it's just cool to look like you're a defender of a company and their profits.

PC gamers have never even had the option of buying an online pass. If you bought it used and the registration code was already used. You were just SOL
---
Check out reviews by me and my friends at www.reviewersunknown.com
#30agrissaPosted 12/13/2012 6:50:39 PM
OzzieArcane posted...
Yeah so instead the servers would just get shut down because people are still playing it while no money is coming in like all the games that just got shut down on Gamespy that the original owners of the games were still playing.

It's the publisher's own problem if they can't get manage finances well enough to maintain servers. Why the hell should used game buyers pay for their own incompetent management? And let's not kid ourselves, the big companies that are putting out the most online passes like EA and Ubisoft don't need them to afford servers. They are using it as an excuse to ripoff gamers.
---