This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are people so against Online Passes?

#31TheExiled280Posted 12/13/2012 6:53:38 PM
bsballa09 posted...
SuperShadowAce posted...
It's bending over to companies for no good reason. No one with a working brain should say, "Please sir, take away more rights from me"

So the devs don't deserve money for making the game?

They already got the money.

not if you buy used. they got no money from that. i think OP is just a way to discourage buying used when their are still new copies of the game available. I only buy used games when the game is impossible to find new (ex: most PS2 and PSP games)
---
Assassins Creed 3 Liberation Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6W2A3LL14o
#32Raven_CyarmPosted 12/13/2012 6:55:08 PM
agrissa posted...
LOL used game buyers are paying customers too.

To another corporation that had nothing to do with the development of the game. That's the biggest hypocrisy of you people. You bash a big corporation... but have no problem supporting another, that's actually worse. But you're fine with that, because you saved a few dollars on a game. But when a developer tries to recoup their losses thanks to people who are stingy, suddenly they're corporate machine and worse than Hitler.

Publishers are the cheapskates that think they're entitled to profits from used game sales.

Yeah! All that money should go to Mom & Pop stores and Gamestop! Companies that didn't have anything to do with making the game, but are making a profit on it! YEAH!
---
#AntiSmark
http://www.youtube.com/RavenCyarm
#33TheExiled280Posted 12/13/2012 6:56:08 PM
agrissa posted...
LOL used game buyers are paying customers too.

To another corporation that had nothing to do with the development of the game. That's the biggest hypocrisy of you people. You bash a big corporation... but have no problem supporting another, that's actually worse. But you're fine with that, because you saved a few dollars on a game. But when a developer tries to recoup their losses thanks to people who are stingy, suddenly they're corporate machine and worse than Hitler.

Publishers are the cheapskates that think they're entitled to profits from used game sales.

Yeah! All that money should go to Mom & Pop stores and Gamestop! Companies that didn't have anything to do with making the game, but are making a profit on it! YEAH!

Basically this^
---
Assassins Creed 3 Liberation Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6W2A3LL14o
#34agrissaPosted 12/13/2012 6:59:49 PM
Raven_Cyarm posted...

As a matter of fact, yes. As horrible as Gamestop is, they are running a legal business and they are selling 2nd handed products legally. Just like how you and me might sell things on ebay. So any company that originally made whatever product you are selling deserves a piece of your profits right? Who's the real hypocrite here?
---
I had faith in humanity until I discovered Internet Message Boards.
#35TheExiled280Posted 12/13/2012 7:01:19 PM
Raven_Cyarm posted...

As a matter of fact, yes. As horrible as Gamestop is, they are running a legal business and they are selling 2nd handed products legally. Just like how you and me might sell things on ebay. So any company that originally made whatever product you are selling deserves a piece of your profits right? Who's the real hypocrite here?

Online Passes are legal so there should be no issue based on this logic
---
God Eater 2 Trailer:
http://youtu.be/KKm_TC53Cvs
#36gamestop27Posted 12/13/2012 7:02:04 PM
There's no f***ing reason for it. Popular games don't need them because they're going to make a s***load of money, unpopular or new games don't need them because people are willing to pay full price for what they are familiar with, unfamiliar games not so much, so they buy used to check it out and if they like what they get they will tell their friends how good it is and they'll most likely buy the next game new.

If they have to pay extra money to test out a part of the game and they end up not liking it, this is going to hurt that franchise more than any corporate apologist's wet dream about used games doing such.

Someone had a thread asking what we hated about this gen and it's these new gamers who couldn't tell their own s*** from a scoop of chocolate ice cream white knighting anti-consumer practices.
---
A birther, a creationist, an anti-vaxxer, and a conspiracy theorist walk into a bar. They are the same person.
#37jessica73Posted 12/13/2012 7:08:51 PM
I don't care because I don't need the pass unless it's some BS like EA usually does with an extra character. Then I just go and buy a code form someone that doesn't need it for like $5.

PC gamers have never even had the option of buying an online pass. If you bought it used and the registration code was already used. You were just SOL

Depends on the game, I can go buy any sims game and it won't matter, sold some to other people too, have loaned quite a few other games to my friends and it's okay
---
you could grab a pc out of a dump (bring gloves, don't wear nice clothes), and it would still be better than current consoles. - SunburnCostanza
#38CronoDynePosted 12/13/2012 7:32:57 PM(edited)
How many damn times am I going to have to explain this, and in how many topics? It's getting frustrating.

First of all, for the umpteenth time, profits from both used and new sales of games sales go directly to the retailer. It doesn't matter if you buy used or new, ALL the money is going into the hands of the store you bought it from, NOT the publisher.

Second of all, an online pass is simply a company selling an already purchased product twice, essentially double dipping in sales. If one person buys a game with online, they bought their spot on the server along with it. When that persons sells their game, they sold the spot on the server along with it. When someone who buys used has to now spend $10 on an online pass, they're paying for nothing. The server spot was already paid for by the original owner. Publishers are literally getting something for nothing. Not to mention the fact it ruins the resale value of a game, and publishers are putting their hands in the transactions of every sale after the initial purchase, completely ignoring the First-Sale doctrine and the consumer's free market.

THAT's what's inherently wrong with online passes.

*EDIT*

They're also diminishing the profits brought in by competing companies, namely Gamefly or other game rental services, who are losing potential rentals because their customers aren't getting the full product. This is a clear violation of anti trust laws.
---
Goodbye Chewy. You were the best friend I could ask for. Rest in peace, buddy.
#39RayconPosted 12/13/2012 7:12:29 PM
OzzieArcane posted...
Personally I've never understood people who buy used to save a measly $5 in the first place. Saving $5 is that important that you'd rather have a potentially scratched up version of the game?

Where are you buying your used games? Cause I'm saving WELL over $5 any time I buy one.
---
"Clue in, girl! Get in that trap room and grab that battery while I, a bad-ass convict, play this beautiful piano melody."-MorphineChild on REŘ
#40ShinXaguraPosted 12/13/2012 7:14:16 PM
servb0ts posted...
I just don't like On-line Passes that involve Off-line Single Player games.

This
---
You must defeat my SCREAMING DRAGON BULLET to stand a chance.