This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are people so against Online Passes?

#51mogar002Posted 12/13/2012 6:30:28 PM
Uh I don't know maybe Amazon. Not knowing about Amazon is like not knowing about trees or the ocean.
---
I am Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Topics.
http://i33.tinypic.com/2hwco6d.jpg
#52DrEaM_420Posted 12/13/2012 6:30:39 PM
CammyApple posted...
DrEaM_420 posted...
1. You cant take the game to a friends and play online, when you go to put the code in it says its in use, which is absolutely stupid.

2. I'm not going to pay extra money to play online if I buy used, I just wont buy the game if thats the case.

No skin off my back, its just stupid how greedy companies have become, its no longer about the consumer, so I wont support companies that use DLC, on disk DLC or online passes.

1, use your psn and download the pass there.
2, whether you buy it used or not at all makes no difference to anyone but the the store selling it used.

1. That doesn't work

2. Makes a difference to me because I am saving money
---
Dream on..
#53calhoun1389Posted 12/13/2012 6:32:03 PM
jessica73 posted...
ebay/amazon/craigslist

Yeah, I don't trust people so I refuse to buy from anywhere but a store. More often than not, non-store bought games don't have original cases or contain no pamphlet. As a collector of games/movies/music, these things are very important to me.
---
My first born, Jackson was born on Friday, May 11, 2012.
'I just wanted to be the best Pokemon Master I could be." - Michael Vick
#54CammyApplePosted 12/13/2012 6:35:37 PM
DrEaM_420 posted...
CammyApple posted...
DrEaM_420 posted...
1. You cant take the game to a friends and play online, when you go to put the code in it says its in use, which is absolutely stupid.

2. I'm not going to pay extra money to play online if I buy used, I just wont buy the game if thats the case.

No skin off my back, its just stupid how greedy companies have become, its no longer about the consumer, so I wont support companies that use DLC, on disk DLC or online passes.

2, whether you buy it used or not at all makes no difference to anyone but the the store selling it used.

1. That doesn't work

1 works just fine on 360. I take my profile complete with pass and game to another location and play just fine.
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.
#55agrissaPosted 12/13/2012 6:35:41 PM
TheExiled280 posted...
Online Passes are legal so there should be no issue based on this logic

Never said they weren't, even I think they should be. Legality is never questioned in this discussion anyways. Only how much online passes suck and are unethical.

CronoDyne posted...
How many damn times am I going to have to explain this, and in how many topics? It's getting frustrating.

First of all, for the umpteenth time, profits from both used and new sales of games sales go directly to the retailer. It doesn't matter if you buy used or new, ALL the money is going into the hands of the store you bought it from, NOT the publisher.

Second of all, an online pass is simply a company selling an already purchased product twice, essentially double dipping in sales. If one person buys a game with online, they bought their spot on the server along with it. When that persons sells their game, they sold the spot on the server along with it. When someone who buys used has to now spend $10 on an online pass, they're paying for nothing. The server spot was already paid for by the original owner. Publishers are literally getting something for nothing. Not to mention the fact it ruins the resale value of a game, and publishers are putting their hands in the transactions of every sale after the initial purchase, completely ignoring the First-Sale doctrine and the consumer's free market.

THAT's what's inherently wrong with online passes.

Thank you for explaining the facts better than I could. That just destroys the other guy's argument too. He was saying that publishers deserves the money more than Gamestop.....too bad Gamestop makes all the profit anyways, new or used.

/topic
---
I had faith in humanity until I discovered Internet Message Boards.
#56RayconPosted 12/13/2012 6:37:35 PM
CronoDyne posted...
calhoun1389 posted...
Raycon posted...
Where are you buying your used games? Cause I'm saving WELL over $5 any time I buy one.

The better question is, where are YOU buying your used games? The only place I know of where I can either order online or go to the store to get used games is Gamestop and their BO2 is currently $55 used.

You're making the stupidly flawed assumption that people are actually only going to GameStop, and only during the first couple weeks after the game is released. You fail to realize that maybe, just maybe, people are waiting for a lower price or shopping elsewhere secondhand.

This especially. Only must-buys do I ever buy on release (and in my book, there aren't many). Everything else I grab when it's convenient.
---
"Clue in, girl! Get in that trap room and grab that battery while I, a bad-ass convict, play this beautiful piano melody."-MorphineChild on REŘ
#57DrEaM_420Posted 12/13/2012 6:37:36 PM
CammyApple posted...
DrEaM_420 posted...
CammyApple posted...
DrEaM_420 posted...

1. That doesn't work

1 works just fine on 360. I take my profile complete with pass and game to another location and play just fine.

Thats cool, we are talking about the Ps3
---
Dream on..
#58CammyApplePosted 12/13/2012 6:38:32 PM
DrEaM_420 posted...
CammyApple posted...
DrEaM_420 posted...
CammyApple posted...
DrEaM_420 posted...

1. That doesn't work

Thats cool, we are talking about the Ps3

Works on PS3 too. Recover your PSN on the friends ps3. Redownload the pass. play away.
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.
#59HotshotDougBPosted 12/13/2012 6:42:51 PM
CronoDyne posted...
First of all, for the umpteenth time, profits from both used and new sales of games sales go directly to the retailer. It doesn't matter if you buy used or new, ALL the money is going into the hands of the store you bought it from, NOT the publisher.

So we just making up arguments and not citing sources? Cool.

Earth is flat and everything revolves around it.
#60Xenesis XenonPosted 12/13/2012 6:45:42 PM
HotshotDougB posted...
CronoDyne posted...

So we just making up arguments and not citing sources? Cool.

Earth is flat and everything revolves around it.

He's...right though?

Retailers buy stock from publishers. Customers buy games from retailers. Retailers make money in the gap between what they buy for and what they sell for.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.