This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are people so against Online Passes?

#71Xenesis XenonPosted 12/13/2012 8:04:16 PM
HotshotDougB posted...
So then by this logic... if someone buys second hand, it denies them the ability to perform multiple print runs... which means denying them potential profit. So how are online passes not justified, knowing this? lol

Because usually it doesn't matter. Unless you're buying second hand at release, the opportunity would have well and truly passed.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#72Mutant1988Posted 12/13/2012 8:04:51 PM
I don't have any problem with online passes granted that they do not limit offline functionality.

Because offline content should never require me to access an online service in order for me to use it. That's a nuisance and puts a time limit on how long the content will be available, because a server costs money to maintain and thus won't be around forever.

My issue with online passes is that they rarely only apply to online content and when they do, offline content is purposefully limited to force the use of their service and increase it's perceived value.

These days, a game having a LAN function is exceedingly rare. In spite of almost every game having an online function, and thus it being a relatively trivial thing to implement.

Funny fact: Saints Row 3's online pass is required for co-op over LAN. Tell me, how is that an "Online" pass? What premium service are we accessing?

Statistics and progression is tracked server side only, rather than locally, which many times render any offline option entirely useless. Far Cry 3's splitscreen co-op being a recent example. No progression whatsoever in splitscreen.

Far too many things are labelled as online only extras, for no other reason that to force the use of their online service (Pass mandatory), when these things could just as easily have been unlockable in game (Ubisoft Uplay being a major offender).

I know the developers need money, want money and deserve money. But online passes are nothing but a nuisance that severely limits end user control.

The large scale exploitation of the used market by major retailers, that is the source of the problem, is not affected in the slightest.
---
Know that if you allow someone to take advantage of you, they might make it a habit.
#73CapwnDPosted 12/13/2012 8:05:05 PM
I'm not going to read through this whole topic again, but my problem with them is that I have family and multiple xboxes.

So now I need to figure out exactly who is most likely to need access away from home or on a different 360, and which 360 I should install it on so that everybody else on that 360 can also use it.
---
Thrash Zone
#74regsantotomasPosted 12/13/2012 8:08:21 PM
CaPwnD posted...
I'm not going to read through this whole topic again, but my problem with them is that I have family and multiple xboxes.

So now I need to figure out exactly who is most likely to need access away from home or on a different 360, and which 360 I should install it on so that everybody else on that 360 can also use it.

I suppose that only matters if you don't want someone else to be logged in as you. I simply have my user account on a USB stick that I plug in to the console I am currently using. I have multiple 360s too (and PS3s). I do this for DLC as well.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#75PStrifePosted 12/13/2012 8:11:57 PM
At the end of the day your precious developers don't even get a dime from online passes. That money actually feeds the corporate bonus structures and online distribution partners pockets.

/swish

Just as the precious Hostess screwed it's employees with unwarranted corporate bonusi, instead of putting the money into the pensions it was collectively bargained to do so.
#76Xenesis XenonPosted 12/13/2012 8:13:16 PM
PStrife posted...
At the end of the day your precious developers don't even get a dime from online passes. That money actually feeds the corporate bonus structures and online distribution partners pockets.

/swish

Just as the precious Hostess screwed it's employees with unwarranted corporate bonusi, instead of putting the money into the pensions it was collectively bargained to do so.

Careful, you've just incited the frothing 'unions are evil and killed Hostess!!!' crowd.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#77calhoun1389Posted 12/13/2012 8:14:11 PM
CronoDyne posted...
You're making the stupidly flawed assumption that people are actually only going to GameStop, and only during the first couple weeks after the game is released. You fail to realize that maybe, just maybe, people are waiting for a lower price or shopping elsewhere secondhand.

Hence why I asked where he was getting his games used. I don't know of any other used game distributors, especially ones that offer more than $5 off newly released games when bought used.

If you actually read what I wrote, I was asking because Gamestop is the only place I can chose to either order used games online or visit in person for whatever reason. I'd love to know of a replacement since they rip people off so bad when it comes to purchasing games.

And sometimes, waiting isn't an option. I waited 7 months for Ghost Recon Future Soldier to drop in price and after I got it, I found that I was too late and that the online community had all but jumped ship already. Online based games don't give players the luxury of getting to wait up to a year for a price drop drastic enough to actually make a difference unless the title includes "Call of Duty."
---
My first born, Jackson was born on Friday, May 11, 2012.
'I just wanted to be the best Pokemon Master I could be." - Michael Vick
#78CapwnDPosted 12/13/2012 8:17:50 PM(edited)
I suppose that only matters if you don't want someone else to be logged in as you.

Yeah we do that too, where you log in the owner of the DLC on controller number 2, so that soembody else can use it on that xbox (which isn't the first xbox it was downloaded onto).

It's not a huge, big huge hassle and I appreciate the workarounds, but it really chafs my ass when I do everything correctly, legally, buy something new (not used) but yet I get hammered with restrictions. Meanwhile people who pirate the s*** out of stuff get to skip all the FBI warning screens and don't have to worry about this kind of thing.

*EDIT: I thought I was on the 360 board, was talking in terms of 360 DRM. I know the PS3 handles it differently...
---
Thrash Zone
#79regsantotomasPosted 12/13/2012 8:16:42 PM
CaPwnD posted...
I suppose that only matters if you don't want someone else to be logged in as you.

Yeah we do that too, where you log in the owner of the DLC on controller number 2, so that soembody else can use it on that xbox (which isn't the first xbox it was downloaded onto).

It's not a huge, big huge hassle and I appreciate the workarounds, but it really chafs my ass when I do everything correctly, legally, buy something new (not used) but yet I get hammered with restrictions. Meanwhile people who pirate the s*** out of stuff get to skip all the FBI warning screens and don't have to worry about this kind of thing.

I'm with you that the last thing publishers should be doing is punishing those that actually have paid for the licenses. These things shouldn't require workarounds.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#80CapwnDPosted 12/13/2012 8:18:44 PM
Yep. I understand why they do it and in this case I can forgive a bit, but it just sucks when people who pay and do everything the right way still get screwed.
---
Thrash Zone