This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

General consensus of Final Fantasy XIII?

#151IHeartMetroidPosted 12/14/2012 2:30:03 AM
"it is less skill based than properly timing paradigm shifts"

Try fighting Omega Mark XII and then come back and say that. FFXIII takes about as much skill as rolling in dog poop.
#152MotoidarPosted 12/14/2012 2:34:21 AM
ScreamingMidget posted...
Good game. Much better than the blind haters would want you to believe.

Yes, because people who have played the game and didn't enjoy it are "blind."
/sarcasm

Obviously you can enjoy the game, and I'm glad you do, but that doesn't mean people who have a different opinion are "blind haters." This makes me think you are a blind fanboy and would love it if literally everybody said it was the worst game ever.
---
QX9650@3.6GHz | EVGA GTX 580 | 8GB DDR2 | X-fi XtremeGamer 5.1 | 27" 3D LCD | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
#153AXKSIONPosted 12/14/2012 2:42:33 AM
Motoidar posted...
ScreamingMidget posted...
Good game. Much better than the blind haters would want you to believe.

Yes, because people who have played the game and didn't enjoy it are "blind."
/sarcasm

Obviously you can enjoy the game, and I'm glad you do, but that doesn't mean people who have a different opinion are "blind haters." This makes me think you are a blind fanboy and would love it if literally everybody said it was the worst game ever.

those who like/love Final Fantasy XIII are blind to the restrictions of the "game". I don't even know if FFXIII has enough gameplay to warrant being called a "game".
---
http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s574/akxsion/Nintendo.png http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s574/akxsion/SMRPG.jpg
#154Fiery101Posted 12/14/2012 2:46:10 AM
It isn't horrible in the scope of all games. If you have to compare it to everything out there it is maybe a 6/10 or 7/10. As a Final Fantasy title though, it is bad. Bad. BAAAD.

In fact, I might go so far to say that it might be the game that ruins the franchise. There was once a time when almost everyone was so enamored with the upcoming Final Fantasy game that they simply HAD to have it. Then FF12 came around. Not a horrible game by any means, but definitely a low mark in a series usually characterized as having great stories and characterizations.

And then... Final Fantasy13 comes. And it is just, bad. The only semi redeeming factor might be the gameplay. Plot and character wise it is just horrible. It is like the developers sacrificed story and fun for graphics. And then they go and make it even worse by creating a huge quantity of spin-offs and sequels that do nothing to help.

Then there is the monsterous flop that is Final Fantasy XIV, and you can see the trend. There is little to no reason to even have faith that they can come back and create another good game.

It is almost to the point where they need to just clean house and start over. And I point to Final Fantasy13 as being the potential breaking point where a good series became unfixable.
#155kupo1705Posted 12/14/2012 2:49:16 AM
Fiery101 posted...
Then FF12 came around. Not a horrible game by any means, but definitely a low mark in a series usually characterized as having great stories and characterizations.

Funny, considering FFXII has a better story and characters than most of the others.
#156Fiery101Posted 12/14/2012 2:53:23 AM
kupo1705 posted...
Fiery101 posted...
Then FF12 came around. Not a horrible game by any means, but definitely a low mark in a series usually characterized as having great stories and characterizations.

Funny, considering FFXII has a better story and characters than most of the others.

Story/plot you may, and I stress <MAY> have an argument for.

But characters? No. In fact. Hell no.

Still, I don't think it was necessarily a bad game. It was just radically different and not held in the same regard as most of the other previous games by the mainstream crowd. 7 had built up 8, which built up 9, which built up 10, which built up 12 and then 12 kind of neutralized the build up to 13. And then 13 sunk the boat.
#157IHeartMetroidPosted 12/14/2012 2:59:49 AM(edited)
kupo1705 posted...
Fiery101 posted...

I've generally found that the people who like FFXII enjoy sweeping, FF Tactics-style epics, and the ones who complain about the story are the ones who want the simplistic, trope-laden "There is a big thing that is evil and here are a group of four warriors. Now go kill all the little evil things and then kill the big evil thing" plotlines. They want their linearity, and they want it NOW, dammit, and to heck with plot subtlety.

The hilarious thing about people who call FFXII's gameplay "radically different" is that ALL it does differently in terms of FF Battlings is-

* It removes the obligatory 30 seconds between "Here is an enemy!" and "Hit that enemy with a stick!"

* It allows you to predirect your characters to do the crap you were going to do ANYWAY. As if you weren't GOING to use an esunaga when a Marlboro breathes all over you. :P

And that second thing- the Gambit thing? Turn off Gambits and viola, what you are left with is the standard FF ADB system! You can even select between Active and Wait, just like you could back in the early days of FF.

Not such a "radical" change, when you get down to brass tacks about it.
#158Fiery101Posted 12/14/2012 2:58:01 AM
IHeartMetroid posted...
kupo1705 posted...
Fiery101 posted...

I've generally found that the people who like FFXII enjoy sweeping, FF Tactics-style epics, and the ones who complain about the story are the ones who want the simplistic, trope-laden "There is a big thing that is evil and here are a group of four warriors. Now go kill all the little evil things and then kill the big evil thing" plotlines.

I don't think that the overlying plot of the game was bad. But the characters were bland in design, personality, and in purpose. They weren't even given much a development arc. When I talk about story I'm more specifically criticizing the role that the characters have within it.
#159kupo1705Posted 12/14/2012 3:00:36 AM
Fiery101 posted...
kupo1705 posted...
Fiery101 posted...

Story/plot you may, and I stress <MAY> have an argument for.

But characters? No. In fact. Hell no.

Still, I don't think it was necessarily a bad game. It was just radically different and not held in the same regard as most of the other previous games by the mainstream crowd. 7 had built up 8, which built up 9, which built up 10, which built up 12 and then 12 kind of neutralized the build up to 13. And then 13 sunk the boat.

Yes, it has better characters than most of the others.

Every FF is radically different.
FFXII went in the right direction. It should have been the standard for FF, and JRPGs in general.
#160IHeartMetroidPosted 12/14/2012 3:02:18 AM
Fiery101 posted...
But the characters were bland in design, personality, and in purpose.

No they weren't.

They weren't even given much a development arc.

And which one wasn't? Ignoring development arcs doesn't mean they don't exist. Every character in that game got one. Ashe got her Princess Storyline. Baltheir got his Sky Pirate/Daddy Issues Development Arc. Vaan and Penelo got their Pirate Aspirations Arc. Fran got her "Kicked from the wood" arc. Lots of people died.