This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

General consensus of Final Fantasy XIII?

#271carsaucePosted 12/14/2012 12:30:36 PM
It is a great FF for a new generation, others hate it, while others love it, it's not very memorable, but the soundtrack and characters were nice.
---
Someday, someone will walk into your life and make you realize why it never worked out with anyone else. -anonymous
#272chaosAD2005Posted 12/14/2012 12:34:11 PM(edited)
Awesome graphics but lacks meat and soul would not recommend it to anyone but desperate RPG fans.
---
klatu verata nik... oh wait what was the rest?
#273pokemon_45_79_1Posted 12/14/2012 12:31:09 PM
pokemon_45_79_1 posted...
mogar002 posted...
The general public says it's an average game with a bad story, while gamefaqs says it's teh suxor.

Source? All the polls I've seen with a decent sample size say it's above average.
---
http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/15/15988000/ngbbs47fa102e7660f.gif

Except those polls could be biased hard to trust any poll in this day and age. The FF fanbase is to fragmented to get a good source of a poll, they could be saying its above average just for the fun of it even though it sucked.

Of course. Look at Mass Effect 1-3. Some of the worst games this gen, but posters could have rated it up for the hell of it. Same with Persona 4 Golden.

But there's a hint of truth within most polls. There's absolutely no evidence with a good sample size saying otherwise.
---

So basically you can't trust polls so question solved, so please don't bring up polls as a source.

Do you really have to defend it so much so you can feel really reassured.
---
Ryoma / Sora / Naruto / Luffy / Ginta
Young heroes between the ages of 12-17 make RPG and other video games better then older heroes 18-21 and over.
#274SightoPosted 12/14/2012 12:32:59 PM
Question solved? What was the question?
---
#275DemonDog666Posted 12/14/2012 1:35:35 PM
Sighto posted...
Of course. Look at Mass Effect 1-3. Some of the worst games this gen, but posters could have rated it up for the hell of it. Same with Persona 4 Golden.

But there's a hint of truth within most polls. There's absolutely no evidence with a good sample size saying otherwise.

ME games aren't bad games they are just bad rpgs. Shooting is the core of the gameplay and they are story heavy.
#276MegaTyphoon99Posted 12/14/2012 1:38:53 PM
The highlight of FFXIII is the paradigm deck.
#277Fiery101Posted 12/14/2012 1:56:11 PM
Sighto posted...
pokemon_45_79_1 posted...
mogar002 posted...
The general public says it's an average game with a bad story, while gamefaqs says it's teh suxor.

Source? All the polls I've seen with a decent sample size say it's above average.
---

Except those polls could be biased hard to trust any poll in this day and age. The FF fanbase is to fragmented to get a good source of a poll, they could be saying its above average just for the fun of it even though it sucked.

Wait, did this guy just say Persona 4 and Mass Effect are some of the worst games this gen.?

Not only are all of those games superior to FF13, they blow it out of the water. The only thing I can assume is that that person has no preference for story or character.
#278_EggplantWizardPosted 12/14/2012 2:49:23 PM
Greer complains that you can't control the party, and I can honestly say that If i want to be buffed.....i get buffed. If i want to be healed...i get healed and if i want them to attack a robot with lightning.......TA DA... they do it.

You're kind of right. ...but it's a backseat approach to gaming. Instead of actually controlling what the characters do, you are their coach. I don't want to be the coach; I want to be the player. ...and I want to control all of the characters on the field.
FFIV had five characters that you could control during battle. FFXIII had three characters, but only one that you could issue commands to. Yeah, FFXIII is making great strides there. LOL.
---
Currently playing Dissidia: Final Fantasy, Doom, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Final Fantasy IX, Minecraft, and Secret of Mana.
#279jjeerryyonly9Posted 12/14/2012 2:55:10 PM
Linear. Uninspired, annoying characters. Convoluted storyline.

Not a terrible game - but a crummy Final Fantasy.
---
TO MICHAEL!!!
PSN: RadKickAss
#280meteor9898Posted 12/14/2012 4:21:23 PM
Yes, all of them make you acquire something. Whether that's a crystal, weapons, materia, aeons etc. is irrelevant.

Wrong. All of the FF games HAVE fetch quests, but they don't all revolve around one overarching one. Fetching the black materia was important in FF7, but it wasn't the focus of the story. Acquiring Aeons was a big part of FFX, but it certainly didn't drive the plot and provide the game's huge emotional payoff. FFXII had made you spend hours getting an item, getting it appraised, getting it somewhere, which was basically the driving force of the story, which is bizarre as the first ten hours certainly didn't seem to be going in this direction and was aiming towards a more political storyline, i.e. FF Tactics. I wish this was your first "argument" where you intentionally miss the point.

There is an antagonist you fight against, the empire.

You don't say. I would never have known, as the game made little effort to show me this empire or make me care about all their supposed "atrocities".

You're not just fighting against one guy.

Yuh huh?

Yes, Rabanastre is happy. But perhaps you've forgotten that's part of the plot.

Which part? The part where the emotional center of the story and the city I'm supposed to feel sorry for because of their oppression never seems oppressed in the slightest and completely makes Ashe's sympathetic story backfire and become irrelevant? That's a weird part to have in a game.

Vaan is the main character of the game, not the story.
He's supposed to be an avatar because apparently the target demographic doesn't want a 30 year old guy as the main character.

Oh, not this noise again. I've seen this twaddle being parroted ad nauseam from what feels like forever and its never impressed me. I don't care if he was the main character of FF7 Snowboarding. The fact that lengths were made to build him up as the central character, starting the game with him and attempting an emotional backstory with him and his brother, forcing us to form a connection with him and following his point of view cements his status as the main character in our minds. We subconsciously expect him to do great things and to be important to the story, because that's just what we deserve after following this useless idiot around for 30 hours. And no, the fact that he was shoved in at the last minute is no excuse. I suppose if you made a late addition to your dinner order in a restaurant, that gives the waiters the right to just slam it uncooked unto your plate, because it wasn't planned? There should have been some effort made to develop their main character, and I'm not buying that BAWWW HAWWW excuse.

No, not every single character needs character development, that's ridiculous.

There you go again with your arguing just to argue, without actually paying attention to the point at hand. Yes, I'm serious, Random NPC # 4589 should have had a sprawling backstory where you got to know him intimately from his birth to his heroic sacrifice by the shop stall. Yup, that's exactly what I said. Oh no wait, I said main character, specifically party characters. You know, those people who's asses you have to stare at for all of the game? I hear they're pretty important.

Then again, it wouldn't be too much to ask if some side characters got some depth as well (Larsa got a bit too much though in comparison to our "heroes"). Trails in the Sky did it, to the point where even the shop keeper was a full character in his own right and a really swell guy, why couldn't FF12?