This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

General consensus of Final Fantasy XIII?

#41Xenesis XenonPosted 12/13/2012 8:09:22 PM
I find the voice acting really oddball.

It's like the VAs couldn't decide whether they were British, Australian or South African.

I haven't finished it yet but it's okay I guess? Absolutely no exploration so far.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#42sirtonnePosted 12/13/2012 8:10:45 PM
A good game overshadowed by SE's former greatness, and a favourite target for anti-JRPG/anti-Japan gamers.
#43IHeartMetroidPosted 12/13/2012 8:14:05 PM
People keep saying "a good game", but they never expound on why it's good. Is it the nonsensical storyline that makes it good? The tunnel running? The lack of towns? The lack of any sidequests beyond "Go kill this thing" stones?

* spoiler * ?

I have this nagging suspicion in my mind that the people who love this secretly hate RPGs and just want a game where they run forward and forward forever until they unexpectedly find themselves battling The Pope.

* end spoiler * ?
#44Trailblazer34Posted 12/13/2012 8:15:35 PM
creamncookie posted...
It is probably one of the most polarizing works of art (let alone games) of all time.
#45boring_namePosted 12/13/2012 8:16:34 PM
sirtonne posted...
A good game overshadowed by SE's former greatness, and a favourite target for anti-JRPG/anti-Japan gamers.

What is an "anti-Japan" gamer, and why would they be anti-Japan?
#46The_Undying_84Posted 12/13/2012 8:19:50 PM
third_eye_zero0 posted...
Graphics are spectacular, battles are fun if you enjoy timed strategy, story/characters are just meh.

Timed strategy? What strategy is there in having auto battle pick all your attacks for you?
---
PSN: TheUndying84
#47Retroxgamer0Posted 12/13/2012 8:20:09 PM
IHeartMetroid posted...
People keep saying "a good game", but they never expound on why it's good. Is it the nonsensical storyline that makes it good? The tunnel running? The lack of towns? The lack of any sidequests beyond "Go kill this thing" stones?

* spoiler * ?

I have this nagging suspicion in my mind that the people who love this secretly hate RPGs and just want a game where they run forward and forward forever until they unexpectedly find themselves battling The Pope.

* end spoiler * ?

is that all you see really? thats the only flaw the game has if you ask me...its like one major flaw in an otherwise amazing game beyond what other rpgs have done lately.
#48almasbabyPosted 12/13/2012 8:20:10 PM
disappointing
#49Retroxgamer0Posted 12/13/2012 8:24:27 PM
heres what i see

graphics: untouchable 10
gameplay: 10 its improved on the formula
character building: 10, i knew these characters VERY well by the end and got emotionally attached to them
replay value: 10, i did all 64 missions and they were very challenging i got 100 hours out of the game

srsly the only flaws were fixed in ffxiii-2 this games near perfect the sequel IS perfect
#50MyPhantomilePosted 12/13/2012 8:26:10 PM
So much hate in this thread, it's unbelievable. A bunch of kids crying over a game they dislike, trying their hardest to force their opinion on those who genuinely enjoyed it.

I enjoyed XIII, and XIII-2. I thought they were good games. The gameplay got tired towards the end however I enjoyed my time I had with it, especially when character roles opened up. There was a solid story behind the game until the final few chapters when it all went to crap. Guys are given a 'Focus', they either choose to complete it or not. Simple as that. The game is based around the idea of challenging your fate so I could enjoy the story from that perspective. It's when too many elements are introduced that I begin to question it.

I don't agree that the game is 'Press X' to win. Those who complain are doing it for no reason as you can set the options to automatically hover the cursor over 'Abilities'. No amount of arguing will make them right, it's a poor reason for hating the system. Lazy gamers complaining about 'Auto-Battle' which they do not have to use. They use it to give themselves an excuse to froth at the mouth.

The graphics, fantastic. Music, okay. Does an RPG really need towns? Apparently so, otherwise the rabid RPG nerds will get on the case and start complaining that the game is awful because of a lack of a few buildings. There are some great cutscenes that I thoroughly enjoyed though perhaps it was a little too heavy at times.

I'd give the game a solid 7.5/10. It had its issues, but it was good fun to play through.

I'm tired of seeing blind hate for the game, same as I'm tired of seeing blind praise. Whenever these posts are brought up it's nigh on impossible to get a good discussion going.

tl;dr: Fun game with issues. Angry nerds do all to force their opinions on others.