This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

General consensus of Final Fantasy XIII?

#51oxnerdPosted 12/13/2012 9:30:12 PM
The gameplay is undeniably great. You have to be a true bore if you want slow turn based games, its fastpaced and the music is perfect for it as well. The graphics are spine tingling gorgeous. Its just all very linear however
#52boring_namePosted 12/13/2012 9:32:07 PM
MyPhantomile posted...
So much hate in this thread, it's unbelievable. A bunch of kids crying over a game they dislike, trying their hardest to force their opinion on those who genuinely enjoyed it.

I enjoyed XIII, and XIII-2. I thought they were good games. The gameplay got tired towards the end however I enjoyed my time I had with it, especially when character roles opened up. There was a solid story behind the game until the final few chapters when it all went to crap. Guys are given a 'Focus', they either choose to complete it or not. Simple as that. The game is based around the idea of challenging your fate so I could enjoy the story from that perspective. It's when too many elements are introduced that I begin to question it.

I don't agree that the game is 'Press X' to win. Those who complain are doing it for no reason as you can set the options to automatically hover the cursor over 'Abilities'. No amount of arguing will make them right, it's a poor reason for hating the system. Lazy gamers complaining about 'Auto-Battle' which they do not have to use. They use it to give themselves an excuse to froth at the mouth.

The graphics, fantastic. Music, okay. Does an RPG really need towns? Apparently so, otherwise the rabid RPG nerds will get on the case and start complaining that the game is awful because of a lack of a few buildings. There are some great cutscenes that I thoroughly enjoyed though perhaps it was a little too heavy at times.

I'd give the game a solid 7.5/10. It had its issues, but it was good fun to play through.

I'm tired of seeing blind hate for the game, same as I'm tired of seeing blind praise. Whenever these posts are brought up it's nigh on impossible to get a good discussion going.

tl;dr: Fun game with issues. Angry nerds do all to force their opinions on others.

If someone asks for people's opinions on something you should be prepared to see people with both negative and positive views on the subject and that they will argue with each other over their positions, please grow up a little, stop attacking people and calling them "angry nerds" which is just silly.
#53IHeartMetroidPosted 12/13/2012 9:33:55 PM
MyPhantomile posted...
So much hate in this thread, it's unbelievable. A bunch of kids crying over a game they dislike, trying their hardest to force their opinion on those who genuinely enjoyed it.

Or maybe it's because FFXIII is a bad game that you just happen to enjoy, and the vast majority of the public that enters a topic asking for a "general consensus" might just be doing what the topic asks them to do, which is give their opinion of what they see the general consensus of the game is?

Look, if you like the game, that's good. There are people that like Other M, or the CDI Zelda games or Superman 64. But the general consensus of the game is that it's not really very good.

Maybe you just hate the Pope?
#54YoungGganonPosted 12/13/2012 9:35:37 PM
Shinra-Army posted...
chocolatesoda posted...
You mean the general consensus on GameFaqs?

This.

General public: The game's good.

Gamefaqs population: OMG IT 1"#$%en sux!

Uh, no. I don't think so. It's pretty much even no matter where you go. I've heard more support for it on Gamefaqs than anything else >_<

I think the consensus goes along with something like:

New to the series = Liked it
Long time FF fans = Didn't like it

At least for the most part. I've met some exceptions but that's usually what it looks like.
---
(Now playing Dead Island, Vanquish, and PSASBR Beta)
#55The_Undying_84Posted 12/13/2012 9:46:24 PM(edited)
MyPhantomile posted...

I don't agree that the game is 'Press X' to win. Those who complain are doing it for no reason as you can set the options to automatically hover the cursor over 'Abilities'. No amount of arguing will make them right, it's a poor reason for hating the system. Lazy gamers complaining about 'Auto-Battle' which they do not have to use. They use it to give themselves an excuse to froth at the mouth.

The problem is that there's no logical reason to do that. The game pretty much picks the optimal attacks for you at all times. At no point do you ever need to make your own decision in battle in order to beat the game, it makes grinding turtles slightly more efficient/allows you to start doing them a little earlier, that's it.

Also even if you do pick your own attacks, you're still only controlling a third of the party. The Paradigm system is just a blatant step back from XII's Gambits. It's basically just gambits except instead of having a great number of options to customize the AI's behavior, you get 6 preset classes. Actually I would hate XIII much less if it came out before XII since then it would seem like the groundwork for a much better game rather than an obvious step back.

Also talking about what the general consensus really is: Every person who I know has played it real life thinks it's pretty bad, in fact GFAQ's is the only place where I've seen support for it
---
PSN: TheUndying84
#56theofficefan99Posted 12/13/2012 9:48:07 PM
Great game, marred by a few flaws.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#57Pirate_BalthierPosted 12/13/2012 9:53:32 PM
Considering that the average rating given by GameFaqs users is 7.7 I'd say it's an ok game, not spectacular but neither trash. Of course for Final Fantasy standards it's low and might disappoint many people but it's good enough to attract others.
---
http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/9876/8786730ne3.gif
I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.
#58JuanZoloPosted 12/13/2012 9:53:39 PM
I really liked it.
---
If the doors of perception were to be cleansed, everything would appear as it truly is-Infinite.
#59tgoldbergPosted 12/13/2012 9:55:51 PM
How can you provide a general consensus on the most polarizing game of the past ten years? You'd be hard pressed to find two people with the same opinion on it.
---
Your favorite game will always be underrated.
Their favorite game will always be overrated.
#60aimingdevicePosted 12/13/2012 10:05:12 PM
I enjoyed it for what it was (as well as XIII-2) as a JRPG. The graphics are beautiful, the combat is very action-orientated and hectic (although at least in XIII's sake it usually ended up with identifying the enemy (Librascope or Libra skill), buffing yourself (haste, brave, faith, en-'element', etc), debuffing the enemy (slow, poision, deshell, etc), wailing on it till it staggers, build up the chain guage to some high number, usually 999% and rinse and repeat) and without proper understanding of the battle system it could be fairly difficult especially if by chance your leader happens to get KO-ed.

I found the character development to be very shallow and the story pretty nonsensical unless you kept yourself updated with the data-log constantly. I also never felt motivated enough to play it more than once, especially after getting all of the achievements.

It's also very tedious to get all of the achievements (I played the two on the 360) as it took me only 50 hrs to beat but almost 50 more hours to finish all of the achievements, especially "Treasure Hunter".

It's worth a try if you enjoy JRPG's.
---
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. ~Sun Tzu