This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

General consensus of Final Fantasy XIII?

#61SnackbaitPosted 12/13/2012 10:07:58 PM
FF 13 and 13-2 isn't a rpg games. Its a movie qta games,where players just sit down and use their left thumb on the analog and the game will play itself.
#62Kou-NurasakaPosted 12/13/2012 10:07:58 PM
It depends. The story is rather bland, and never really picks up any steam. I got to the last dungeon before I just quit, because I ended up not caring about the characters or the story at all.

The battles are all right, but they focused to heavily on the Stagger guage, which is the only real way to damage bosses in any significant way. I found the Eidolons to be rather useless, and the whole thing about the party dying= game over was really stupid. It only existed to create a sense of challenge, which was just a poor excuse for a gameplay gimmick.

I'd say it's about a 5/10. Not bad, but not good either.
#63wheresatariPosted 12/13/2012 10:17:26 PM
Love it! It's the only game ever that I've done a challenge for. I love a lot of games, have many favorites and have played next to all FFs since the beginning, but have never done any type of challenge; Ever. I must love it if so. It's the battle system that grabs me.
---
I am the Way and the Truth and the Life; no man comes to the Father except by Me.
-The Lord Jesus Christ. John 14 verse 6.
#64caffiend7Posted 12/13/2012 10:18:40 PM
Hated the first, XIII-2 was better. They should have ended it at the ending
---
"I will teach you the way true kings fight"
#65IHeartMetroidPosted 12/13/2012 10:19:20 PM
"The battles are all right, but they focused to heavily on the Stagger guage"

God I hated that thing. Damage a boss so you can... ACTUALLY damage the boss... then reset the first damage thing so you can damage that meter until it lets you ACTUALLY damage the boss again!
#66nedrithPosted 12/13/2012 10:19:46 PM
The battles are decent, really nice system with some flaws and SE took a real gamble with the system. It's a nice fun battle system to look at but TBH i'll take great spell and attack graphics over this.

The story IMO was nice. I found the characters decent with some pretty good character development and overall the story evolved quite well. With that said I've seen many people who can't seem to grasp what the story was about(and plenty who even admitted to only understanding after they played it a lot).

Overall the biggest issue was the linearity, the world map made it seem more linear than 10, which was pretty much just as linear(they just did a better job of hiding it). The one big open area with all the side quests didn't help much.

Overall score, 8.5-9.0, it had it's flaws but I would still call it better than most this gen for the genre.
#67wheresatariPosted 12/13/2012 10:20:30 PM
Snackbait posted...
FF 13 and 13-2 isn't a rpg games. Its a movie qta games,where players just sit down and use their left thumb on the analog and the game will play itself.

Says someone who's never completed it. It's one of the only RPG games that can actually challenge you. Don't take kindly to the 'press X not to die' crowd. If you try powering through you'll die in the tougher fights. Newer gamers are spoiled. It IS cool to have to think to win.
---
I am the Way and the Truth and the Life; no man comes to the Father except by Me.
-The Lord Jesus Christ. John 14 verse 6.
#68nintendogamer13Posted 12/13/2012 10:22:45 PM
PRESS X and OCCASIONALLY L1
#69IHeartMetroidPosted 12/13/2012 10:24:17 PM
"If you try powering through you'll die in the tougher fights"

I finished the entire game, from the first tunnel past the evil Pope and I never had to "think" even once, never had to grind. I just ran forward the entire time and occasionally switched Paradigms. The only "difficulty" I ever encountered was due to yet another supremely stupid Square-Enix design decision, where if your main character happens to fall it's automatic Game Over.
#70freakofnature30Posted 12/13/2012 10:25:02 PM
Not what was expected, which also describes Square Enix perfectly this gen.
---
"In a trail of fire I know we will be free again..."
PSN: freakofnature300