This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about storage/backup options for the PS3

#1LancetJades(Moderator)Posted 12/14/2012 3:11:10 AM
This may be a silly and/or ignorant question (probably both), but I have to ask: does the PS3 support any sort of removable storage, such as USB drives, like the 360 does? Is there any way to easily (or even semi-easily) back up saves onto storage devices?

None of my friends who actually own a PS3 bother with things like this, so I figured I'd just ask here. Thanks in advance for any helpful responses!
---
Eclipsing power is, at times, not only the instrument of demons, but also of gods.
Lost, but not forgotten.
#2Pereb27Posted 12/14/2012 3:13:55 AM(edited)
You can plug any USB drive on the PS3, it has to be formatted to FAT32 though.

Copying saves is very simple. Once the drive is plugged, go to your save, press triangle, select copy (you can copy multiple saves at the same time), select your drive, done.
Keep in mind some saves are copy-protected though.

There's also the backup utility that makes a backup of EVERYTHING on your PS3, that you can restore if you have to replace the HDD for example (that includes copy protected saves, however it excludes trophies, you have to sync those).
#3LancetJades(Topic Creator)(Moderator)Posted 12/14/2012 3:21:54 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#4LancetJades(Topic Creator)(Moderator)Posted 12/14/2012 3:28:52 AM
Thanks for the reply, but have another question.

Are copy-protected saves actually locked down, or are they just "can't copy, but can move"? Like Dark Souls, from what I hear (move it, but can't copy it). And what's stopping you from just copying the save to a PC so you can copy it as much as you want?
---
Eclipsing power is, at times, not only the instrument of demons, but also of gods.
Lost, but not forgotten.
#5Pereb27Posted 12/14/2012 3:35:58 AM(edited)
LancetJades posted...

Are copy-protected saves actually locked down, or are they just "can't copy, but can move"? Like Dark Souls, from what I hear (move it, but can't copy it). And what's stopping you from just copying the save to a PC so you can copy it as much as you want?

The PS3 doesn't give you the option to copy (or move) a copy-locked save to your USB drive at all.
You can move a locked PS3 save, but only through the backup utility or the data transfer utility, which I would not recommend just for a few saves...

If you have PS+, you can copy it to the cloud storage however.
#6LancetJades(Topic Creator)(Moderator)Posted 12/14/2012 3:46:09 AM
Pereb27 posted...
LancetJades posted...

The PS3 doesn't give you the option to copy (or move) a copy-locked save to your USB drive at all.
You can move a locked PS3 save, but only through the backup utility or the data transfer utility, which I would not recommend just for a few saves...

If you have PS+, you can copy it to the cloud storage however.

So the full backup utility just copies everything without regard for copy-protection?

Also, about how much storage are we talking for the backup utility, anyways? And is there a maximum size of USB the PS3 supports? (I know 360 only goes up to 16GB per device)
---
Lost, but not forgotten.
#7Pereb27Posted 12/14/2012 4:00:30 AM
LancetJades posted...
So the full backup utility just copies everything without regard for copy-protection?

Also, about how much storage are we talking for the backup utility, anyways? And is there a maximum size of USB the PS3 supports? (I know 360 only goes up to 16GB per device)

Correct, but you can only restore the copy-locked saves and PSN purchases on the same PS3, and restoring a backup formats the PS3 HDD.
PS3 doesn't have a limit for USB drives (if there is, it's probably 1TB at least). The free space you need is the used space on your PS3 HDD, since you can only backup everything and restore everything from your backup.
#8LancetJades(Topic Creator)(Moderator)Posted 12/14/2012 4:15:51 AM
Is the full backup a lump-sum file, with everything rolled into one big file? Or is it just some sort of archive of each individual file?
---
Lost, but not forgotten.
#9Pereb27Posted 12/14/2012 4:18:52 AM
LancetJades posted...
Is the full backup a lump-sum file, with everything rolled into one big file? Or is it just some sort of archive of each individual file?

The former (though split into parts dueto the 4GB limit of the FAT32 file system). Kind of like a split RAR file. Can't be decrypted/uncompressed/read from PC or anything though.