This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

December 21st #osceasefire

#41Mutant1988Posted 12/18/2012 11:16:04 AM
CammyApple posted...
It's okay that you don't want to do it. However others doing it hurts no one so why put them down?

Because the whole idea implies that there is a correlation between violent crimes and violent video games.

And that's wrong!

That's not even touching upon how utterly meaningless the gesture is. Want to show support and help? Put your money where your mouth is! Or get off your ass and physically help someone.

Refraining from doing something that has nothing to do with the issue at hand does NOTHING besides stroke your own ego.

"I'm good, I'm helping".

No. You're not.
---
Know that if you allow someone to take advantage of you, they might make it a habit.
#42TimeOfTheDark(Topic Creator)Posted 12/18/2012 11:17:04 AM
I'm thinking it's similar to a moment of silence at a sporting event, but instead of thousands of people, it could be millions, and instead of a minute, it could be 24 hours.
#43Mutant1988Posted 12/18/2012 11:20:06 AM
TimeOfTheDark posted...
I'm thinking it's similar to a moment of silence at a sporting event, but instead of thousands of people, it could be millions, and instead of a minute, it could be 24 hours.

We shouldn't be silent in our capacity as players of video games.

Why single out players of violent video games, if not to imply a correlation?

If anyone should be quiet, it is out of compassion and respect as a fellow human being. Not because we play a certain kind of game.

This gesture is meaningless and insulting.

Do you even read what others write?
---
Know that if you allow someone to take advantage of you, they might make it a habit.
#44theshovellerPosted 12/18/2012 11:22:34 AM
TimeOfTheDark posted...

Getting informed about the mental health system, or even helping the mental health system out, would be a much better means to an end, I am almost 100% certain of that. The proposed idea, to me, is similar to an episode of Red Versus Blue that I saw a while ago:

"You gave me CPR for a head wound? What would you do if I got shot in the foot - rub aloe vera on my neck?"

It's a good thing to do that shows support for something, but it's not showing support for something that was the cause. A person who had mental health issues did not get the treatment or help he needed, and this was the result. Solution? Inform people about mental health issues and the support structures they have in place already. Hell, notice the gaps that are there and try to fix them! As it stands, right now, if someone in my program doesn't fill out a form and mail it in within two weeks after receiving it - and when they mail it out to you is random, by the way - they lose their medical assistance and they're essentially booted out of our program. We either help them without being paid (which is a bad way to do business, especially as a nonprofit) or we cut them loose, where they're sure to go off their meds and decompensate with alarming speed.
#45killakPosted 12/18/2012 11:22:41 AM

It's still showing that you're refusing to play shooters, in respect of the tragedy. You're implicating shooters and pretty much stating that you know they're a bad influence.

As I said, do nothing, or hand in firearms and give them up as a gesture.

I mean, do you really need guns? Yes it's a right in your country.. a baffling right... but it was written in the colonial days when families needed guns for hunting and survival. Now you have people living in a metropolis, feeling the need to retain such a right.
---
My instant game collection - http://tinyurl.com/dxq27an
#46megamaticsPosted 12/18/2012 11:25:49 AM
On the 21st I will play a Shooting Game out of spite. Blaming Video Games is stupid.
---
GamerTag: RaymondMic/OptimusMega PSN: Optimus Mega
SteamProfile: Megamatics
#47ReDDevil2112Posted 12/18/2012 11:26:06 AM
Refraining from doing something that has nothing to do with the issue at hand does NOTHING besides stroke your own ego.

"I'm good, I'm helping".

No. You're not.

Pretty much this. It's just a way to make yourself feel good without doing anything that actually helps people or even shows them that you care.
---
Yo, ding-dong, man! Ding-dong! Ding-dong, yo!
#48gucciburrrPosted 12/18/2012 11:26:12 AM
killak posted...
You want a gesture they'll recognise...... hand in your firearms.

then they'll see hope, and know that there are less guns in the wild.

Not playing shooting games is the dumbest idea.

What? My personal firearms aren't "in the wild". They're locked up in my home. Why thehell would I hand in my weapons because some weakass, pathetic, imbecile who more than likely had ZERO discipline in his life, decides to shoot something up? Please. Not only will I NOT participate in this silly gaming cease, I will go to the range and fire my weapons like I do every week.
---
Man I hate bein SOOOOOOOOBA!!!!!!
#49killakPosted 12/18/2012 11:26:29 AM
Anyone else gonna play dead space 2 and shoot up the kids?
---
My Cat - http://tinyurl.com/bvqxlwo
#50killakPosted 12/18/2012 11:30:11 AM
What? My personal firearms aren't "in the wild". They're locked up in my home. Why thehell would I hand in my weapons because some weakass, pathetic, imbecile who more than likely had ZERO discipline in his life, decides to shoot something up? Please. Not only will I NOT participate in this silly gaming cease, I will go to the range and fire my weapons like I do every week.

They're accessible, they're "in the wild". A shotgun that has been destroyed, is a gesture.
---
..you're supposed to put spoilers when you talk about the color of the sky. some people haven't seen it yet. - llaW_Enots