This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

ppl who dislike the ff13 games just refuse to accept change

#211nukedduckPosted 12/19/2012 5:23:01 PM
Listen, I wanted to like FFXIII long before it came out. I was ready to embrace the Fabula Nova series. Me, My older brother, even my other room-mate(who had never played an FF game before) were all willing to give it a shot. Of course my brother and I were expecting all the good things past FF's had only enhanced to suit the PS3's awesome engine. Needless to say I was severely disappointed. Where was the open world system? Why was a straight line constantly showing up as a map? If it was just a straight line, why bother with the map?You won't get lost.

Now what I did like was the cast of characters, very interesting and fairly unique. But the playability of the first 12 hours was quite repetitive. We put our time in, It just...wasn't anything that we really wanted. In the days I played Final Fantasy VI, VII, and IX, the games were like jumping into a new world to explore. Final Fantasy? it better be because this franchise has been dead for years to me.

Aaaaannny waaay. thats my 2 cents.
---
PSN ID: radiatedduck
the most wonderful thing about radiatedducks, is IM THE ONLY ONE!!!
#212Seifer_usPosted 12/19/2012 5:25:28 PM
Impaired Medic posted...
I liked FF1-12 (with the exception of 2). How is that a refusal to accept change? Oh, right. It's not.

---
PSN ID: Shawnji
Trophy List: http://psnprofiles.com/Shawnji
#213Dark_BassPosted 12/19/2012 5:27:48 PM
tiornys posted...
Dark_Bass posted...
Just face it. If you really think 13 is an improvement on the FF franchise, then you most likely don't like the previous games for the same reason why I never played with the old, used Atari 2600 in favor for my Sega Genesis when I was 6. The visuals are old and dated compared to today's crisp, beautiful, and flashy graphics, and you are incapable of looking past the relatively understimulating effects of the visuals to actually sit down and play it.

Or, maybe we play the FF games for different reasons? I already said above that Explorer wasn't a significant part of my gamer profile. I'll be more explicit. I'm a Tactician/Storyteller/Power Gamer. I found almost every FF enjoyable on the first playthrough, because Storyteller loves discovering the story, and FF games tell stories that I like. The FFs I enjoy replaying are the ones that best engage my Tactician and/or Power Gamer, that is, the ones with character development and combat systems I enjoy.

This is why FFX, FFXIII, and FFTactics are among my favorite FF titles.

Do I like FFXIII's graphics? Of course; they're pretty. But I like FFXIII because the game lets Tactician feed Power Gamer like few others.

t~

Ok, ok, maybe 13 is for you, but that still doesn't mean that the game is better for ridding itself of exploration and sidequests. They can still put in the story and character development into a game more resembling the earlier games. Sure, the combat will change, but it can still be good. Exploration is one of the elements the franchise was built on and made great, and taking it away is like taking away air from an ecosystem. The whole thing just falls apart, and you are left with a FF10 or 13, games that are either loved or hated. Not that many fall into the middle ground and say they are "alright", the playerbase has been polarized heavily to either love it because of the characters and combat, exploration, and story, or hate it for the exact same reasons.
#214VideoGameBlitzPosted 12/19/2012 5:42:00 PM
TheMcKnightMare posted...
I refuse to accept suck..

lol, qft
---
Not changing until a FFVI(6) remake is released 5/21/10
#215tiornysPosted 12/19/2012 5:42:49 PM
Dark_Bass posted...
Ok, ok, maybe 13 is for you, but that still doesn't mean that the game is better for ridding itself of exploration and sidequests. They can still put in the story and character development into a game more resembling the earlier games. Sure, the combat will change, but it can still be good. Exploration is one of the elements the franchise was built on and made great, and taking it away is like taking away air from an ecosystem. The whole thing just falls apart, and you are left with a FF10 or 13, games that are either loved or hated. Not that many fall into the middle ground and say they are "alright", the playerbase has been polarized heavily to either love it because of the characters and combat, exploration, and story, or hate it for the exact same reasons.

Oh, I agree, and what really gets me is I think they originally planned for more exploration and sidequests/minigames but then cut them for whatever reason (I've seen someone claim that there was an interview citing space issues on the XBOX, but I have no verification of this). I mean, there's one minigame in the entire game (Hope controlling the Armament). Why is it even there? I think there were more minigames planned (Nautilus anyone? All those extra piers?), but they got cut, and this one was left because it sets up a later plot point.

Then there's the opening of Chapter 9. Maybe I'm just deluding myself, but you have this big long airship corridor with tons of unused berths, and all you do is talk to people and then move on? I think that section was originally designed as a hub for revisiting the previous Cocoon environments. Of course, there's no reason to revisit unless there's stuff to explore/fight that you couldn't have (easily) done before, but if you look back at the other level designs, you see plenty of spaces where they could have expanded stuff. The optional platforms in Chapter 4 could easily hold more difficult enemies and better treasures. The pens in Chapter 5 could have held a few advanced enemies that opened gates to new areas. The weather control in Chapter 6 already lets you face easier or harder fights, but that element could be expanded on--think about playing with the water system by having waterfalls get lighter in sunny so you could access a cave, etc.

Anyway, this is why you'll never see me call the game a great FF game even though it's one of my favorites. I think it's good enough to be worth playing, and I'll happily defend the combat system against attacks from people who never moved past a shallow interaction with it, but the complete lack of exploration is a big negative that can't be realistically dismissed.

t~
#216md22mdrxPosted 12/19/2012 5:44:59 PM
Wheras FFVII was still pretty Japanese ...

Each installment since has gone more and more Japanese since. Did you see the previews for the newest FF games? I'm a huge fan of games 1-7, but they're off the rails Japanese now. It's virtually anime. I LIKE anime and I thought the latest installment was "too anime". I wasn't able to stomach 8's gameplay and each installment has looked "worse" (technically superior graphics, but worse in theme) since.

I liked the old-school fantasy. Heck, even bring me back to a more steampunkish world like 7 and I'd probably jump back in. This uber futuristic anime junk just isn't my style.
#217TheCyborgNinjaPosted 12/19/2012 5:52:49 PM
Liking XIII is relative to liking X. I loved X, so I like XIII as well.
---
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo
#218VIETNAM-Posted 12/19/2012 5:54:03 PM
It doesnt really matter, whoever hated ff13 and ff13-2 still bought them and will buy the 3rd one lol.
#219DarthSchubertPosted 12/19/2012 5:54:53 PM
I'll be the 70th person to post this...

or they just dislike bad games.
---
"Life is like a box of chocolates. Diabetics can't enjoy either."
#220Robot_SoopaPosted 12/19/2012 5:56:31 PM
VIETNAM- posted...
It doesnt really matter, whoever hated ff13 and ff13-2 still bought them and will buy the 3rd one lol.

Bought XIII.

Didn't buy XIII-2.

Not buying XIII-3.