This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

ppl who dislike the ff13 games just refuse to accept change

#261tiornysPosted 12/20/2012 1:39:47 PM
graey24601 posted...
It's true that FF games never had a _lot_ of choices to make in the battle system but that doesn't mean that narrowing it even further is a good idea. The fact that you _can_ mash X to win in previous games doesn't mean that's all anyone ever did or wanted to do. What's the next step, replace battles with cinematic cut scenes? Welcome to FF the movie.

So...if you didn't want to mash X to win in previous titles, why are you mashing X to win in FFXIII? Are you unaware of the advantages you can gain by selecting your leader's actions?

t~
#262zUkUuPosted 12/20/2012 1:44:23 PM
tiornys posted...
graey24601 posted...
It's true that FF games never had a _lot_ of choices to make in the battle system but that doesn't mean that narrowing it even further is a good idea. The fact that you _can_ mash X to win in previous games doesn't mean that's all anyone ever did or wanted to do. What's the next step, replace battles with cinematic cut scenes? Welcome to FF the movie.

So...if you didn't want to mash X to win in previous titles, why are you mashing X to win in FFXIII? Are you unaware of the advantages you can gain by selecting your leader's actions?

t~

there are none in FF13.

again, the difference is that the game chooses for you what to do (with very little selection anyway).
#263theshovellerPosted 12/20/2012 1:45:54 PM
graey24601 posted...
What's the next step, replace battles with cinematic cut scenes?

Oh, look, an enemy. Gee, whatever shall I use in my vast arsenal of attacks, spells, and ski- KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND! I'm gonna go use the bathroom real quick, should get back by the time Arthur slams his sword into the guy for the final blow.

Unless it was a tough enemy. Then you used "W-Summon," and two Knights of the Round. You had enough time to raise your own chickens, slaughter them, and turn them into a chicken salad sandwich with all that time.
#264tiornysPosted 12/20/2012 1:49:31 PM
zUkUu posted...
there are none in FF13.

again, the difference is that the game chooses for you what to do (with very little selection anyway).

Clearly, you failed to understand the battle system beyond a very shallow level.

Just a couple of examples demonstrating what you can do with manual command entry:

Boss spoilers: http://youtu.be/Z5kH1ID9qEI

Endgame enemy spoilers: http://youtu.be/jdMr8iuFk4c

t~
#265zUkUuPosted 12/20/2012 2:00:04 PM
tiornys posted...
zUkUu posted...
there are none in FF13.

Clearly, you failed to understand the battle system beyond a very shallow level.

Just a couple of examples demonstrating what you can do with manual command entry:

Boss spoilers: http://youtu.be/Z5kH1ID9qEI

Endgame enemy spoilers: http://youtu.be/jdMr8iuFk4c

t~

I did. manual selection is way slower, making it inferior in every aspect and there are barely choices to begin with. it doesn't matter if I select ruin x5 manually or the computer, just that he is 20 times quicker.

I beat every boss the game ha to offer with L1 shift alone, and it was not hard at all. I died ONCE in the last hunting "sidequest" - fixed that with a tresor-paradigma.

it's shallow, it's bland, it's casual. you clearly see that. no strategy or whatsoever beside paradigma shifts, and those are very just as bland.

the lack of an option to order the priority of the targets and spells alone, excludes any sense of strategic means. the fact that you can only play one character only worsens that.
#266tiornysPosted 12/20/2012 2:08:10 PM(edited)
Ability to win fights with auto-battle <> inability to improve your performance with manual commands instead of auto-battle.

Did you practice your manual selection at all? No? Well, that's why you were so much slower. I can input manual commands almost as fast as I can select Auto-battle. And I'm not the only one who can do this. As proven by the videos above, not to mention numerous other vids out there.

Besides, you only lose time if you're selecting commands when your ATB gauge is full. And it's really easy, with a bit of practice, to input command strings while your ATB gauge is filling.

t~
#267Mellerker38Posted 12/20/2012 2:16:29 PM
tiornys posted...
Ability to win fights with auto-battle <> inability to improve your performance with manual commands instead of auto-battle.

Did you practice your manual selection at all? No? Well, that's why you were so much slower. I can input manual commands almost as fast as I can select Auto-battle. And I'm not the only one who can do this. As proven by the videos above, not to mention numerous other vids out there.

Besides, you only lose time if you're selecting commands when your ATB gauge is full. And it's really easy, with a bit of practice, to input command strings while your ATB gauge is filling.

t~

I rather use Auto battle choice because I'm quick and fast.
#268zUkUuPosted 12/20/2012 2:21:59 PM(edited)
tiornys posted...

t~

don't try to come off as sophisticated. there is a difference between optimum and over effort. auto battle did a perfect job (due to the few commands you have available anyway). If I beat my enemy with a 10.000 damage hit when he has 1.000 hp or with 11.000 does not matter if you know what I mean. the little manual select adds is carried by yourself alone, not because it's required, or even benefits you in any notable way or form.

but that is not even the case, manual selection is flat out inferior due to the speed. even more vivid when you have haste on your party.
#269ChaoticKnucklesPosted 12/20/2012 2:21:31 PM
Retroxgamer0 posted...
theshoveller posted...
Or they just don't like them. Mind you, I thought what I played of FF13 was good, but I can see why people wouldn't like it, also.

Takes all kinds of people to make the world go spinny-spin.

i played ff7 i can see how it was good, but i can see why people wouldnt like it. pick a game and itll fit into your blanket statement.

Isn't that the whole point though? That different people are going to like different things? Just because someone doesn't like FF13 doesn't automatically mean they are resistant to change of any kind it just means that something about FF13 as a whole didn't click with them. And if you're one of the people that likes FF13 it doesn't mean that you're a sheep or an idiot or any of the other things that people like to call each other on this board daily.
---
I boosted some of my trophies. Please, judge me about it.
#270tiornysPosted 12/20/2012 2:28:55 PM(edited)
^^ well said ChaoticKnuckles.

zUkUu posted...
don't try to come off as sophisticated. there is a difference between optimum and over effort. auto battle did a perfect job (due to the few commands you have available anyway). If I beat my enemy with a 10.000 damage hit when he has 1.000 hp or with 11.000 does not matter if you know what I mean. the little manual select adds is carried by yourself alone, not because it's required, or even benefits you in any notable way or form.

but that is not even the case, manual selection is flat out inferior due to the speed. even more vivid when you have haste on your party.

Did you watch the vids? I guarantee that the accomplishments in those vids--killing Barthandelus 2 in 47 seconds, or killing Long Gui at stage 8 of the Crystarium without summoning--are flat out impossible with Auto-battle (and these are not isolated cases, just extreme examples). Why? Because Auto-battle is far from perfect, and the closer you get to perfection in the game, the more you can accomplish with fewer resources.

t~