This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

ppl who dislike the ff13 games just refuse to accept change

#281zUkUuPosted 12/20/2012 3:30:32 PM
LewdDolphin21 posted...
zUkUu, I want you to beat Long Gui at Stage 8 crystarium without shrouds, summoning, or elixirs, use Auto-battle exclusively, get five stars (let alone win), and post a video to this thread. Only then will I concede that there is no point in playing because all you need to do is press Auto-battle to win.

Alternatively, beat Bart 2 in 47 seconds using exclusively Auto-battle.

I dunno the "stage" anymore, but I beat him without manual selection. I steered Lightning exclusively through the entire last part of the game, and she was only ravager and breaker, secondly medic and sentinel (for 2 specific paradigm). it was not that difficulty with a few equipment and paradigm setups. I don't remember anymore, but couldn't you just poison him anyway?

where is Long Gui a spoiler anyway?

I will do that if you post a video of you hopping around on one leg in a pink bikini. wtf should I buy that turd of a game again, let alone play it till there and do that?

the time you lose with manual selection alone makes it not worthwhile. the little benefit you get plays no role. you're trying to artificially shovel depth into the shallowness.

you know, you can just take the ball and kick it into the goal, or you can take the ball, do 4 flick flacks, run 5 times in a circle and then use your head to push it over the line. both accomplish the same, but you force yourself to do more for the same result.

Lack of priority list is the only reason why manual select has an REAL benefit, that is in the role of AUG and SAB ALONE.
#282tiornysPosted 12/20/2012 3:59:55 PM
jubjub360 posted...
I played it the same way as you and I still found it a dull boring experience.

I doubt you played it the same way as I did, but I'm willing to believe that you could use manual entry and still find things boring. If you stick with certain conservative strategies and don't experiment with aggressive strategies for whatever reason, then it probably doesn't matter if you use Auto-battle or manual entry. There's an easy trap of thinking that you can fall into with FFXIII: trying to craft the perfect paradigm deck for all situations. Part of engaging with the game is learning to optimize your paradigm deck for various types of encounters, and being willing to switch things up frequently.

zUkUu posted...
I dunno the "stage" anymore, but I beat him without manual selection.

Let's restate the challenge then. Beat Long Gui before you beat the end boss of Chapter 11. Without using summons. (Stage 8 is the highest stage of the crystarium you have available from the middle of Chapter 10 through Chapter 11. Stage 9 opens up when you kill the end boss of Chapter 11, and stage 10 opens up when you beat the final boss sequence.

the time you lose with manual selection alone makes it not worthwhile. the little benefit you get plays no role.

Seriously? What time are you losing if you make the selections while your ATB is charging? The answer is simple: you don't lose any time. I'm pretty sure almost anyone can get fast enough to select most command strings within 3-4 seconds.

And the benefits? Even in cases where you do lose time--say, manually selecting commands at the start of a preemptive strike battle--the benefits can easily outweigh the couple of seconds you lose in the menu. For example, using a couple of Ruingas when you get a preemptive strike against a group of enemies can add enough duration to their chains to let you kill all of them during the initial stagger instead of just half of them. Which can cut the battle time in half. Pretty good return for being 2 seconds slower at the start of the battle.

you know, you can just take the ball and kick it into the goal, or you can take the ball, do 4 flick flacks, run 5 times in a circle and then use your head to push it over the line. both accomplish the same, but you force yourself to do more for the same result.

Maybe all you care about is winning? If so, then yes, you're only going to care about manual entry if you care about winning fights that are above your development, because manual entry can let you kill various enemies long before you'd be able to kill them with Auto-battle strategies.

Lack of priority list is the only reason why manual select has an REAL benefit, that is in the role of AUG and SAB ALONE.

Manual entry can help all of the roles, but I agree that SAB and SYN (or JAM/AUG) benefit the most. And yeah, a priority list or similar way of modifying the AI would be a great way to improve the combat system; too bad we'll probably never get to see it.

t~
#283CrysianiaPosted 12/20/2012 4:06:15 PM
Going into ff xiii without thinking about the other ff's, i still disliked it and didnt even manage to finish it.
---
PSN - Sacred_Darksoul