This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

ppl who dislike the ff13 games just refuse to accept change

#51AalviPosted 12/19/2012 12:10:13 PM
Retroxgamer0 posted...
give it up, your nostalgia and blind memories of ff7 arent enough to hate on every game square enix masterfully crafts.

It's the same thing but minus certain elements which definitely not good.

The level system is similar to the sphere grid except like the rest of the game, much more linear. The story is only able to be summarized in about 4 important events, not much transpires in the game. In FFs, the amount of story cover in all of FFXIII would be on one disc. Character development has always been hit or miss with FF games, this one isn't any better and in most cases is very bad. The main cast know very little about each other so them banding together near the end and losing initially wasn't as touching or significant since there was no time to bond(that and like half the game the party is separate and fang comes in late).

Snows character is taken to extremes to the point where his character is inconsistent and make no sense when it comes to attitudes(guess he really is conflicted). Lighting is essentially copying Clouds personality, except Cloud wasn't originally like that and ended up fixing himself later anyways. The only thing is that lighting came to the realization that she needed others faster than Cloud.

A lot of the story,characters and lore in general isn't even fit in the long cutscenes we are made to see but instead put aside in logs for us to choose to read if we want. This messes up the pacing and also means the info is not necessary to understand the plot, which means those who avoid it or don't even know about it are missing out on an already barebones story.

The change of tone and setting for the sequel XIII-2 is also proof that XIII had no baring since they realized this, they changed things up and essentially ignored the majority of XIII story except the ending(not like there was much to use anyways). The game took a turn and made it all about things we(majority of players who wouldn't have read the logs or actually take them seriously in thinking that they will be vital later on) missed when introducing the mythos the series was initially supposed to be so involved with in the first place.

There were technically no dungeons, since every area was self explanatory and you could take a few turns but with one set path anyways. In other RPGs there usually is a multiple branches and rooms that one has to usually remember and eliminate which way they went already, this is called exploration, with XIII it is simply go from point A to B omitting any detours to other places like towns, secret areas of a dungeon leading to superbosses, rooms with chests,save points,etc.
---
Check out my backlog: http://backloggery.com/aalvi
PSN ID: Aalvi-S|http://psnprofiles.com/Aalvi-S|3DS FC in Profile
#52ArkonBladePosted 12/19/2012 12:10:55 PM
Change isn't a bad thing and when a game has been doing the same thing for years and years it needs to do some changing. Now if that change makes a suckier game its still a sucky game.
---
SRPG games...i just love them!
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow
#53Retroxgamer0(Topic Creator)Posted 12/19/2012 12:11:27 PM
z827 posted...
kupo1705 posted...
Dissidia is the worst thing to carry the FF name.
It's even worse than X-2.
How anyone can enjoy that piece of garbage is beyond me.

Lulz , saying that Dissidia is crap is just pure fandom - it's actually a decent game , 'xcept that they didn't actually manage to properly bring out the personalities of the characters properly.

they did to me, i thought they did an excellent job portraying each character's differenitating personality and meshing them together in a dream-like setting. its definately an awesome fanservice.
#54kupo1705Posted 12/19/2012 12:11:54 PM
Retroxgamer0 posted...
It takes like 5 seconds to fill the whole bar, and then you have to watch them use 6 attacks until you it starts filling again.

Paradigms shifts is the only thing you can do.
You can't control your party members.
All you can do is tell them to focus on healing, attacking, or something else.
That's all, no control whatsoever.

firstly, paradigm shifts refresh your atb gauge in both ff13 games. secondly you have control over your lead character, as well as the ability to switch leaders, while your partners are AI controlled. this has been happening in multiple final fantasy games, why do you choose this one to insult?

That only happens under specific circumstances.
Yes, your main character.
Who can do what?
Attack battle is pretty much all you need.
Ravager+auto battle to build stagger.
Commando+auto battle to deal damage.
And maybe the (de)buff job if needed.
There is no point in selecting abilities yourself.

You can't switch leaders. That's only in XIII-2.

And no, this hasn't happened before.
#55kupo1705Posted 12/19/2012 12:12:59 PM
Retroxgamer0 posted...
z827 posted...
kupo1705 posted...
Dissidia is the worst thing to carry the FF name.
It's even worse than X-2.
How anyone can enjoy that piece of garbage is beyond me.

Lulz , saying that Dissidia is crap is just pure fandom - it's actually a decent game , 'xcept that they didn't actually manage to properly bring out the personalities of the characters properly.

they did to me, i thought they did an excellent job portraying each character's differenitating personality and meshing them together in a dream-like setting. its definately an awesome fanservice.

Fanservice?
More like fandisservice.
#56Retroxgamer0(Topic Creator)Posted 12/19/2012 12:14:14 PM
z827 posted...
pokemon_45_79_1 posted...
Oh look the defender is back again tc you are trying to hard why are you wasting everyones time with another topic on this.

The game is bad get over it and move on.

Lulz , TC thinks everyone is an old fogey whom can't accept change.

it seems like it.. i loved ff7 but when are people going to get over it? is that the only rpg that exists in their mind with the final fantasy name?
#57KurizakaPosted 12/19/2012 12:14:37 PM
Retroxgamer0 posted...
z827 posted...
Strictly speaking , I could accept the new battle system - or rather , I was quite fond of it.
The music was actually great as well , a bold change from their usual style ( Since their main composer left ) but it was great.

the graphics were top notch as well, both games were a technical feat.

On the other hand , the story and characters were utter crap.
Snow was stubborn till the point of being annoying , Lightning feels like some "forced emo character" , Hope was a brat in XIII and Vanille was a mite bit annoying.
The only decent characters in there were Sazh and Oerba.

the story of ff13 or 13-2 was crap? because i think both were more interesting than the boring political theme of 12, or the love saga of 10. lightning isnt a "forced emo character" thats cloud. her personality is well developed throughout the entirety of 13. and brat? you havent played more than 5 hours tops. you got every one of their personalities wrong.

Seems you can get character personalities wrong too. FFXIII had some good points, but overall is my least favorite FF game.
#58kupo1705Posted 12/19/2012 12:16:11 PM
Retroxgamer0 posted...
z827 posted...
Oh look the defender is back again tc you are trying to hard why are you wasting everyones time with another topic on this.

it seems like it.. i loved ff7 but when are people going to get over it? is that the only rpg that exists in their mind with the final fantasy name?

What makes you think only FFVII fanboys dislike it?
#59pokemon_45_79_1Posted 12/19/2012 12:19:01 PM(edited)
Oh tc by the way I started all the way back with FF legends series, my post has nothing to do with VII so don't know where that came from.

Tc please leave peoples minds are set stop bring up this topic just to reassure yourself.

Move on the game is bad, I haven't played it in over 2 years and never going back to play it ever again, can't trade it in as its not worth much.
---
Ryoma / Sora / Naruto / Luffy / Ginta
Young heroes between the ages of 12-17 make RPG and other video games better then older heroes 18-21 and over.
#60z827Posted 12/19/2012 12:19:13 PM
Retroxgamer0 posted...
z827 posted...

Whose talking about FFVII? Your like the only one ranting about "How no one is getting over FFVII blah blah blah"

I've played most of the main series - Good stories doesn't really kick in till IV where every character starts to have a more solid background and personality.
V was humorous and yet emotional at times.
VI was probably the darkest in the series and had finely executed it's wide cast of characters.
VII was my first FF game and my favourite - but I would not call it the best because there was VI.

The only thing I am against of XIII was the characters and general storyline.
It had the concept , it had the lore - it had everything else built fine but the way they had executed it was just... terrible.
---
Char Aznable : "A Mobile Suit's performance does not decide a battle's outcome!"