This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Fact: if you don't think Far Cry 3 is GOTY, then you haven't played it!

#31Godly_GoofPosted 12/22/2012 10:45:15 AM
SolidKnight posted...
Godly_Goof posted...
THEN WHAT THE HELL IS THE POINT OF LEVELING?! THATS THE WHOLE DAMN POINT! SINCE THE FIRST RPG EVER!

You do get stronger and you can take a lot more hits. You were being hyperbolic. The difference between 10 VIT and 50 VIT is around 1,000 HP which means several more hits can be taken. The difference between 10 STR and 50 STR on a weapon that scales with STR a doing a lot more damage. There's just no leveling to the point where enemies become complete jokes like in most RPGs. Hell, all you need is +2 longsword to one-hit-kill most enemies in Undead Burg.

Leveling does have a significant impact but it doesn't allow you to become overpowered. It's a hell of a lot better than the traditional method of staying 10 levels ahead and turning the game into an utter joke.

1000 hp = one more hit from most enemies if you arent blocking, and sadly not all game takes place in Undead Burg :/, like the snake head things in the tower that need a savage beating even with a refined lightning spear, or the gargoyles, or giant knights, or most big enemies for that matter, or those damn demon imp things, or dark knights, or capricorn demons, or bull demons, or ghost knights, or the mushroom things, etc.
---
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."
#32carib2g(Topic Creator)Posted 12/22/2012 10:48:37 AM
Dark_Spiret posted...
own it. played it. beat it. its not GOTY.

its core gameplay is fun, but its got a lot of issues from a crappy story, annoying side characters, unbalanced xp/skill system. poor exploration, side missions are hit and miss(and have needless padding), the outpost system makes the game boring and in general once you get to the second island and get youre wingsuit youve basically played and experienced everything the game has to offer(by that point i crafted nearly everything, all skills maxed and everything inthe store bought). The rest of it it just a slog to the finish. The coop and multiplayer while not bad do feel half-assed based on what iv played of them. I also had a problem with the menu's. say what you want about FC2, but it did make you feel like you were in that world. I got really annoyed having to constantly open up and pause the game to check on basically everything from notes to crafting tot he make ect. They could of handled that much better.

Of course not to say the game isnt great because it IS, but based on some peoples responses im not seeing the goty here or one of the best this whole gen. its a fun 8/10 game with a few 10/10 experiences wrapped up in too much padding. i feel the game woudl ahve been better overall if they expanded a bit on the first island and cut out everything on the second.

I have to disagree with the outposts being "boring".

Taking the outposts, especially when I clear them out undetected is especially rewarding and satisfying to me. It's probably one or my favorite parts of the game!

I tend to agree with some of your "second island" thoughts, but no game is perfect, and to me doesn't diminish the overall package.
---
Best of 2012: Sleeping Dogs, Mass Effect 3, Max Payne 3, Far Cry 3
Gamercard: http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/Carib2g.png
#33dan77733Posted 12/22/2012 10:48:57 AM
Havent finished Far Cry 3 yet but it will most likely be my game of the year. Currently though, its third behind Sleeping Dogs and Binary Domain. Considering the fact that I hate and despise the FPS genre and wish it would die, me playing Far Cry 3 for almost 70 hours thus far and still playing says a lot about the game, period.
#34king_maddenPosted 12/22/2012 10:55:01 AM
As someone who hated far cry 2, and doesn't care for fps games at all, I have to say this game is pretty good, had a blast so far. Not going to say goty, it would be top 5 though. Xcom probably tops, but I can't think of all the games this year at the moment. Sleeping dogs probably around 10th, 11th.
#35Dark_SpiretPosted 12/22/2012 10:58:43 AM(edited)
carib2g posted...
I have to disagree with the outposts being "boring".

Taking the outposts, especially when I clear them out undetected is especially rewarding and satisfying to me. It's probably one or my favorite parts of the game!.
when i say the outposts i mean when they eliminate all opposition in that area once you take them over. my fault for not clarifying that. Once you do that all previously visited areas basically become useless outside of the occasional side mission or hunting ground if you ahvnt done those previously. The actual taking of the outposts are some of the best moments in the game even if some of them do feel a bit artificial. I feel this could have been done much better while not falling back into FC2's crappy outpost design.
#36LsnakePosted 12/22/2012 10:58:16 AM
Bought it based on the surprising amount of rave reviews, played it for about 15 minutes and just shrugged. Seems like a great game, absolutely, but I'm so tired of open world games. Same thing with Most Wanted.

I did enjoy Far Cry 1 but that's quite a few years ago now.

Max Payne 3 is more my kind of shooter.
---
-War. War never changes. (Fallout)
-War. War has changed. (MGS4)
#37BeautyAndABeatPosted 12/22/2012 10:59:44 AM
Completely agree. Far Cry 3 is the ****. However, I'd have to say Borderlands 2 also has a good chance of winning GOTY.
#38BaseChouGokuPosted 12/22/2012 10:59:53 AM
Mister_Vanilla posted...
ctrl - F Xcom...
Nothing.

You all suck.

/Xcom is GOTY

XCom is horribly boring

Valkyria Chronicles and Resonance of Fate did strategy shooting better
#39true_gamer80Posted 12/22/2012 11:06:24 AM
Considering the fact that I hate and despise the FPS genre and wish it would die, me playing Far Cry 3 for almost 70 hours thus far and still playing says a lot about the game, period.

or perhaps it shows you how silly it is to hate or generalise awhole genre...the fact your enjoying a fps should open your eye how silly and ignorant that is....
---
Real Hip Hop...I miss the 90's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8ua89wKwDA&feature=related
#40TowerBooks3192Posted 12/22/2012 11:08:01 AM
carib2g posted...
Yes, yes, I realize this is just an opinion.....

But damnit, this game kicks major ass, so go and get it NOW!

My 2 cents.

Yeah I have to say it is a great game so far though I have to wait for the new computer I ordered to arrive so I could run it with all the settings to the max. I have to say that I am not an FPS kind of person but I fell in love with Far Cry 3. Far Cry 3 and Borderlands 2 are my only favourite FPS games. My only complaint about the game is that I wish the crafting system would have been deeper but not Monster Hunter deep though.

Also I wish that the animation when you disable a radio tower would be the way viewpoints are done in the next assassins creed game
---
"Once you go Marcus Munitions, you never go back us munitions"