This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Face it, there will never ben another console RPG as revolutionary as FF7

#171chrombotPosted 12/25/2012 1:40:25 PM
Dragonblade01 posted...
There's one key thing that people need to remember:

"Revolutionary" and "influential" are two different things. The former is something that is decidedly different (or at least such an aspect) than its predecessors. The latter means that it was the catalyst for change.

FF7 is very influential in what it did for JRPG industry, and I'm sure for the overall video game industry in America. Thanks in part to that game, we got many more JRPGs pouring into the market.

However, to call it revolutionary is a stretch. The most that you could call it revolutionary for was the way it brought pre-rendered cutscenes into the Final Fantasy franchise. Most people who played the game all those years ago still remember the gorgeous cinematic where the camera started on simple street, then slowly panned out to reveal a rather large and impressive (for the time) shot of Midgar. At the very least, in Final Fantasy, something like that hadn't been seen before in quite that way.

But beyond that, there really isn't much revolutionary about it; though, it still remains one of the most influential games of all time.

Except revolutionary acknowledges the level of that influence it had. It was a revolutionary game because of the weight the game carried. They proved something could be done. It was ground breaking in that sense. It pretty much standardized the pre-rendered cut scenes in games. You're kind of downplaying something that has become a main stay in the industry because of this game. That is revolutionary. The amount of time and money that goes into that kind of thing now. FF7 was different in the sense that. It was a game that would take a break a show a video to you. That was a new concept then. To the point where the marketed the game as if you were playing a movie. The amount of cut scenes was a big deal. You were sitting watching something happen that looked nothing like the game play. The level of which it was done was far beyond what any game had done before. I mean, nothing was like it before, it was so above anything before it. I can't imagine where the video game industry would be if not for FF7 or if FF7 was done differently.
#172OrangeSchweesePosted 12/25/2012 1:43:53 PM
SandOnMyBoot posted...
It was a mediocre game that was aggressively marketed to a mostly-untapped audience, and so many people bought into it.

You sound like someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.
#173StealthlysPosted 12/25/2012 1:51:34 PM
OrangeSchweese posted...
SandOnMyBoot posted...
It was a mediocre game that was aggressively marketed to a mostly-untapped audience, and so many people bought into it.

You sound like someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

FF7 is good. But not a masterpiece, or revolutionary. But LSSSC did CGI before ff7, and many games on the saturn had CGI.
#174Lousy_FellowPosted 12/25/2012 1:51:42 PM
None will ever tell as good of a story, combine such an intricate combat system,

Stopped reading here. Sorry, but Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean and The World Ends With You all exist in this dimension. And this is only JRPGs, don't get me started on Fallout, Planescape Torment, and Deus Ex.

FF7 was revolutionary because it brought RPGs to the mainstream, added 3D/pre-rendered graphics to the mix and started the whole debacle "cinematics > gameplay". But at it's core, it's as basic and generic as FF has ever got. Along with FF1 and 9, it's the most generic tittle in a series that's known to reinvent itself at every iteration. Revolutionary =/= good; the father of console JRPGs Dragon Quest/Warrior was revolutionary, but it's actually better to bash your head on a desk repeatedly than to play that game.

And by the way, Luca Blight is a better written villain than Sephiroth.
---
Why do you play games you don't enjoy? Are you a masochist?
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff514/Skull182-2/FutureofDLC.jpg
#175leet_x1337Posted 12/25/2012 1:55:09 PM(edited)
n0matter posted...
None will ever tell as good of a story, combine such an intricate combat system, be as seamlessly epic and push the hardware to it's limitations as that game did. People are too fixated on graphics

Funny, I thought it was graphics that pushed the hardware to its limitations. It can't have been the game's length, since it was split over three discs...which also puts two seams in the supposed epicness.

In any case, since we're offering up opinions, allow me to offer my opinion on Xenoblade:
-Good story: In spades. Particularly with the 'heart to heart' conversations.
-Intricate combat system: Placement, abilities, switching characters and saving people from dying.
-Pushes the hardware's limitations: Look at that draw distance. Look at all that stuff in the distance.
-Seamlessly epic: It's possible to get to all of it up close.
---
Now Playing: closed for business
Re-opening: After the Steam sale ends
#176ilexukiPosted 12/25/2012 1:53:49 PM
only thing special about ff7 is it was the first 3d final fantasy. there are dozens of superior rpgs that came out during it's time, and after.
---
The weak die out and the strong survive....which are you?
#177kirusuPosted 12/25/2012 1:55:31 PM
OrangeSchweese posted...
The only revolutionary thing about FF7 was the CGI implementation.

other games probably on other systems im sure did cgi just as good as ff7 did.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIWwSPavmlM
#178BoosterBurstPosted 12/25/2012 2:01:11 PM
ilexuki posted...
only thing special about ff7 is it was the first 3d final fantasy. there are dozens of superior rpgs that came out during it's time, and after.

I have never played a more superior rpg or game than final fantasy 7, since 7 is best
#179OrangeSchweesePosted 12/25/2012 2:07:20 PM
Stealthlys posted...
FF7 is good. But not a masterpiece, or revolutionary. But LSSSC did CGI before ff7, and many games on the saturn had CGI.

I'm no fanboy, but I thought it was a masterpiece. Yes, other games had CGI, but can you name one that did it as well as 7? Square was known for its CGI back then.
#180chaosflame108Posted 12/25/2012 2:10:52 PM
I love FF7 as much as the next guy, but praising it for it's story is laughable.

The only real interesting thing is the truth about "Cloud." Other than that, cliche after cliche and the villain is meh. Don't get me wrong, Sephrioth is freaking awesome, but he doesn't do ANYTHING throughout the events of FF7.

The one thing people give him credit for, wasn't even him in the first place. XD hahahahahahahah
---
I AM SATANAIL. HE WHO SHALL SET RIGHT THIS DISTORTED UNIVERSE!!!