This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Face it, there will never ben another console RPG as revolutionary as FF7

#51oxnerdPosted 12/25/2012 3:48:33 AM
Replace FF7 with Xenoblade.
#52BlackOrigamiSunPosted 12/25/2012 3:55:08 AM
Of course FF7 was the most revolutionary. It was like the Super Mario 64 for RPGs. The whole gameplay scheme changed to be 3D; the story started to get more mature (sorry, but Kefka was not a good villain); the battle systems had to change more between the games so that vast quantity of players would have more options and the marketing was huge.

You may consider FF7 the worst game ever, because a lot of people like it, the protagonist is too japanese and the fact that it is not FF6, but it is hard to sound reasonable when you reject the fact that it was an unique evolution to the series and no other console RPG will surprise us as much.

And Persona itself wasn't revolutionary. It was just SMT with real characters.
#53mogar002Posted 12/25/2012 3:59:54 AM
No I consider it one of the worst because of its bad story, one of the worst casts and villain in FF, and a battle system where every character is just the same person with a different skin.
---
I am Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Topics.
http://i33.tinypic.com/2hwco6d.jpg
#54OzzyOzbatPosted 12/25/2012 4:01:57 AM
I think people are going a little off the rails here when they're talking about RPG's and this topic. They're confusing "revolutionary" with "best."

However, I agree with with TC, and contribute a couple challenging contenders.

Nostalgia is a big factor here. I remember the marketing for this game and thinking, from a kid who wasn't into RPG's, how awesome it looked. How clean and polished it looked. I watched my brother played it and thinking how cool it looked. In terms of what a game could do on a system with it's limitations, it broke ground. Keep in mind that FFVII was being developed before and around PS1's released. It's a new hardware machine and developers didn't tap out the graphics capabilities it had. But regardless, FFVII looked great. The game play was solid tight, with a magic system that was a medium level of challenge and accessible, a rounded out cast of characters. A story had some obvious RPG's cliche's, but it broke some as well (I.E. Aerith's death.) It also created some cliche's from it's own (sad protagonist, dark tones). Also, it's a game I repeatedly play over. Actually, I'm playing through the PC release at the moment. I often claimed FFVI was my favorite, but just the fact that I keep returning to FFVII over and over is starting to make me question that. The game created a rich world more alive that a lot of modern day games today. It holds the test of time (graphics aside, but even then, it's mainly just the character models that are "ugly").

There are some challengers, however, that other RPG's are just as revolutionary. Keep in mind I'm not saying best, just revolutionary.

Someone said Mass Effect. I disagree, but only because I feel that Star Wars: KoTor set the standard on consoles RPG's before hand on the original Xbox. Mass Effect tried to emulate and improve on the formula, but the first ME just doesn't quite do it, IMO. I think Star Wars: KoToR is one of the RPG's that helped kill the standard JRPG formula and sales in America.

Someone else said Skyrim. I think Skyrim is my personal favorite Elder Scrolls. Some people are divisive on the idea that it just overall "simplifies" things compared to other titles in the series (like stat increasing). But I don't think there is anything wrong with simplifying things as long as the core game feel remains. But I don't think the Skyrim is "revolutionary" considering that Morrowind and Oblivion came out on consoles before Skyrim and helped make that style of RPG popular on consoles.

It's no secret that modern technology has essentially killed the JRPG. The formula is pretty stale and the whole reason a lot of what old school RPG's did what they did then was because of technology limitations. I still like them though. Anyway, that's my reasoning on why I agree, and put input on two contenders that could have also taken that spot. Those two being KoTor and Morrowind.
#55justchill433Posted 12/25/2012 4:07:29 AM(edited)
Of course FF7 was the most revolutionary. It was like the Super Mario 64 for RPGs. The whole gameplay scheme changed to be 3D; the story started to get more mature (sorry, but Kefka was not a good villain); the battle systems had to change more between the games so that vast quantity of players would have more options and the marketing was huge.

You may consider FF7 the worst game ever, because a lot of people like it, the protagonist is too japanese and the fact that it is not FF6, but it is hard to sound reasonable when you reject the fact that it was an unique evolution to the series and no other console RPG will surprise us as much.

And Persona itself wasn't revolutionary. It was just SMT with real characters.

I'd hardly call it revolutionary. It wasn't even that different from earlier FF games. Its a joke that you compare FF7 to Super Mario 64. The evolution of the Mario series was massive. C'mon, I love FF7 but it really wasn't revolutionary. I did a lot of things well especially for the 2D/3D switch, but the core of game didn't change much at all.
---
PSN: s1l3nt_x_cha0s GT: xziT4L3NTZx
*slips of cliff*
#56Lethal13Posted 12/25/2012 4:04:47 AM
Chrono Trigger is in so many ways more revolutionary than FF7 i like both games but man Chrono Trigger things it did back then have really only becoming industry standards since 2008 if then
#57carsaucePosted 12/25/2012 4:07:42 AM
and they will never make a great story rpg such as Xenogears ever again, though Xenoblade kinda showed that they can, but still not that epic.
---
Someday, someone will walk into your life and make you realize why it never worked out with anyone else. -anonymous
#58mogar002Posted 12/25/2012 4:10:18 AM
If they want to make a game with a better story than Xenogears, all they have to do is not have a million plot holes and bad pacing. Oh wait they did that with every game ever.
---
I am Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Topics.
http://i33.tinypic.com/2hwco6d.jpg
#59mjc0961Posted 12/25/2012 4:19:16 AM
Stanger5150 posted...
Next time you think you know the reasons other gamers like what they like, save some time by posting "I don't know s*** about s***" so we can get to the point faster.

You should be directing that at TC. To claim that no RPG "will ever tell as good of a story" alone is enough to know that TC doesn't know s*** about s*** and is just a FF7 fanboy. And then there's this: "Until gamers and producers stop focusing on what's 'pretty' and start listening to what people want", which obviously translates to "until gamers and producers stop focusing on what I don't like and start listening to what I want" because what TC wants and what other gamers want are very, very different things considering he's so blinded by nostalgia that he's ignoring almost 16 years of fantastic RPGs to praise FF7.
---
"Jak and Daxter does not have a sequel so that doesn't prove anything." - DesperateMonkey
#60mjc0961Posted 12/25/2012 4:22:08 AM
n0matter posted...
And how many villians still rank among the best if not THE best 25 years after their inception? Can you name any other than Sephiroth?

You actually cannot name Sephitorh or however you spell that because he's not 25 years old yet, and thus doesn't qualify for your stated requirement of being 25 years or older. As I just stated, he and the game have only been out for 16 years.
---
"Jak and Daxter does not have a sequel so that doesn't prove anything." - DesperateMonkey