This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do only certain PSN games have Platinum Trophies?

#1darkskillPosted 12/27/2012 8:58:46 PM
Is it just up to the developer? Like why does Trine 2 have a plat, but not Infamous FOB or Journey?
---
Dunder Mifflin
PSN: LegendRh1
#2servb0tsPosted 12/27/2012 9:20:32 PM
depends on the developers. most developers add hard trophies that they couldn't do.
---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems. 08/18/11 R.I.P Megaman Legends 3
-PS3 FFXIV ARR 2.0 Day 1 Buy I can't wait to maxout Summoner
#3BluePuniGodPosted 12/27/2012 10:16:58 PM
I think it has to do with games' average length and difficulty. If they're sort of casual and easygoing games like Costume Quest, the highest trophy you'd get is a gold one, usually just for completing the game. Sometimes you only get it if you get all other trophies first.

Infamous FOB isn't quite time-consuming and anyone could get all the trophies without too much difficulty.

However, games that tend to be tougher, time-consuming, or whatever, such as Heavy Rain or most RPGs, usually have a Platinum trophy at the end. Sort of like a thank-you for sticking it out or making the time to fully enjoy their games.
#4silly_sausagePosted 12/27/2012 10:45:14 PM
There must be some kinda rule that the devs have to do abide by, some kind of criteria. Otherwise what's stopping someone from putting 200 trophies in their game, or making all of them platinum.
---
John Lennon, 1940 - (Infinite Symbol)
PSN: naathaann
#5ZangetsugaPosted 12/28/2012 12:57:05 AM
BluePuniGod posted...
I think it has to do with games' average length and difficulty. If they're sort of casual and easygoing games like Costume Quest, the highest trophy you'd get is a gold one, usually just for completing the game. Sometimes you only get it if you get all other trophies first.

Infamous FOB isn't quite time-consuming and anyone could get all the trophies without too much difficulty.

However, games that tend to be tougher, time-consuming, or whatever, such as Heavy Rain or most RPGs, usually have a Platinum trophy at the end. Sort of like a thank-you for sticking it out or making the time to fully enjoy their games.

But The Walking Dead plat can be obtained by simply playing all 5 episodes.
---
There's no "I" in "TEAM," but there's an "I" in "WIN."
3DS FC - 4554-0129-0757 - Coda PSN - twilight_getsuga
#6BluePuniGodPosted 12/28/2012 1:29:58 AM
Zangetsuga posted...
BluePuniGod posted...

It's not a set rule. *shrug* It's still the developers' prerogative. I was just speaking in general.
#7darkskill(Topic Creator)Posted 12/28/2012 4:38:27 PM
If it's siimply up to the developers then they must know that they would get more sales if they included a platinum right? I mean there are tons of people who just play for trophies. Doesn't make sense not to have one.
---
Dunder Mifflin
PSN: LegendRh1
#8VarronPosted 12/28/2012 4:59:21 PM
Zangetsuga posted...
BluePuniGod posted...

And now we know why it won GOTY.

lol jk it was a good point and click adventure game.
---
PSN: Snippuh
#9coolsurfer800Posted 12/28/2012 5:01:30 PM
I think all PSN games that cost $14.99 or more have Platinum trophies.
---
No, John. You are the demons.
PSN = chuckyhacks
#10PangLaPosted 12/28/2012 5:04:11 PM
coolsurfer800 posted...
I think all PSN games that cost $14.99 or more have Platinum trophies.

You should go back and check.

I think it's up to developers, RE4 had full achievements on the 360, but only Gold on the PS3.