This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What matters more in an RPG, gameplay or story?

#41deadmarvPosted 12/29/2012 11:10:49 PM
Story matters the most, in my opinion.
---
All PS3 owners should boycott Bethesda.
#42DocDeliciousPosted 12/29/2012 11:21:21 PM
Storyline.
The best gameplay in the world can only hold my attention for so long if there is nothing else interesting behind it.
By that same token, if a game has a solid storyline it really doesn't matter how s*** the gameplay is...I'll continue playing just to finish the plot.
---
Playing - Far Cry 3, Vanquish, SMT: Persona 3 FES, MGS HD Col, Resonance of Fate, Borderlands 2, Valkyria Chronicles, Monster Hunter FU
PSN: DocDelicious
#43OmegaPosted 12/29/2012 11:27:30 PM
DocDelicious posted...
Storyline.
The best gameplay in the world can only hold my attention for so long if there is nothing else interesting behind it.
By that same token, if a game has a solid storyline it really doesn't matter how s*** the gameplay is...I'll continue playing just to finish the plot.

Read a book or watch a movie. Bypass all of that bad gameplay.
---
When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself.
#44DocDeliciousPosted 12/29/2012 11:35:53 PM
Omega posted...
DocDelicious posted...
Storyline.

Yah I guess that's an idea.
Didn't realize they made book/movie adaptations of every game ever made though.

If I'm playing a game simply because of its storyline I'm playing it because I'm interested in that story. Popping in a movie or picking up a book that is completely unrelated doesn't work.
---
Playing - Far Cry 3, Vanquish, SMT: Persona 3 FES, MGS HD Col, Resonance of Fate, Borderlands 2, Valkyria Chronicles, Monster Hunter FU
PSN: DocDelicious
#45OmegaPosted 12/29/2012 11:41:04 PM
DocDelicious posted...
Omega posted...
DocDelicious posted...
Storyline.

Yah I guess that's an idea.
Didn't realize they made book/movie adaptations of every game ever made though.

If I'm playing a game simply because of its storyline I'm playing it because I'm interested in that story. Popping in a movie or picking up a book that is completely unrelated doesn't work.

Buying games that are not fun supports bad game making decisions, so shame on you.
---
When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself.
#46kewldude475Posted 12/29/2012 11:42:52 PM
In an RPG? Story, lol.

In an action RPG? gameplay.
---
PS3/Vita PSN: kewldude475; 3DS FC: 4253-3798-3218; Steam: kewldude475
Now playing: Persona 3: FES, Assassin's Creed 2
#47Arsene-LupinPosted 12/29/2012 11:42:58 PM
What matters more in a movie, the visuals or the audio? The actors or the set?

You can't judge a game any more by its individual elements than you can a movie or a book. The only thing that matters is the WHOLE product.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#48KikuichimonjiPosted 12/29/2012 11:57:44 PM
Gameplay
Character = Story

I ranked character as high as story because character development to me is just as important. I feel the Tales series did this especially well via constant but optional voice acted skits for players to enjoy, which allowed them to better grasp individual characters' personalities and back story. It's important how much information and in what manner the game reveals each character to the players.
---
There's no point telling stupid people that they're stupid. They're too stupid to know that they're stupid. Wasted effort.
#49Mattywright77Posted 12/30/2012 12:18:37 AM
Gameplay.

I read two to three novels every week to two weeks. I generally watch a couple movies every week. And i also watch dvd seasons of whatever show has my interest, currently breaking bad, very story intesive.

So while i like a good story especially in an rpg if i take the time to play games over reading or the things i watch i want to play a game wirh strong gameplay.
#50guoquanPosted 12/30/2012 12:21:06 AM
kewldude475 posted...
In an RPG? Story, lol.

In an action RPG? gameplay.

i hereby proclaim u a kewl dude. here take my like