This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Vita flopping proves Sony should focus on PS3 only.

#121Kou-NurasakaPosted 12/30/2012 6:32:09 PM
Stanger5150 posted...
servb0ts posted...
Sony should leave handhelds to nintendo and accept the ass whooping.

I'd much rather see FF Disidia, FF7 Crisis Core, both Valkeryia Chronicles & Type-O on PS3

This. Nintendo is absolutely unbeatable in the portable market.

No, this....

Stanger5150 posted...

I'd much rather see FF Disidia, FF7 Crisis Core, both Valkeryia Chronicles & Type-O on PS3
#122NintendologicalPosted 12/30/2012 6:32:42 PM
The real reason why the Vita is failing is because the entire premise behind the platform is the carry console games wherever you go. From the software library currently available, to the existing (but under utilized) feature to start a game on the PS3 and continue it on the Vita. While there are compelling an deep experiences on handhelds, the ultimate goal for a handheld system should be to give the player games that can be played in quick sessions.

This is why Apple has had so much success with titles like Angry Birds and Temple Run, even though the App Store is filled with core titles like Infinity Blade, Street Fighter x Tekken, N.O.V.A. 3, Modern Combat 4 etc. People like to play quick experiences on portable devices. This is also where the DS succeeds. That's why titles like Nintendogs, Brain Age and Mario Kart are 20 times platinum. People can play them in short bursts. PS Vita has some great games. I almost wanted to buy one just for Assassin's Creed III: Liberation, but then I thought to myself, "do I really want to play a full on console game on a small screen for a long period of hours?

Sony needs a new strategy. PS Vita should have games like Ape Escape and other quick titles that are disposable time wasters. That is not to suggest that core games have no place on handheld devices. Infinity Blade is a top seller for iOS and JRPGs are plentiful and popular on the Nintendo DS. However, the Vita has nothing but core titles. Sony doesn't really understand how to service the demographic.
---
Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#123DemonicDracoPosted 12/30/2012 6:35:01 PM
not like ps3 had a great 1st year
---
Beauty is the only truth in this world.
#124DrEaM_420Posted 12/30/2012 6:35:31 PM
The main problem is the Vita is too expensive, the same amount a the Ps3 console, in this economy why the hell would you want to buy a portable device that plays the same games as a home console? It makes no sense, plus the 3DS is waaaaaay cheaper, backwards compatible, has awesome first party titles and is an RPG players dream system...Sony needs to realize this isn't the 90s, people dont just pay extra money for name brands anymore, they need to become competitive in the market or not try at all.
---
Dream on..
#125rpglover13Posted 12/30/2012 6:37:24 PM
Stanger5150 posted...
servb0ts posted...

This. Nintendo is absolutely unbeatable in the portable market.

Wow, it's like you guys read my mind. I've always thought(with the eventual flop of the Wii, after the gimmick wore off, and the horrid support for the PSP/Vita now) @Nintendo: Focus on the portables because you kind of rock at them(I'm still playing my original DS right now for all my favorite GBA games and DS games); @Sony: Focus on your consoles, your portables are good, but they basically just do the same thing the console does, but limit the play to this one system with a small screen and a high price. Those games that were mentioned were almost all on my mind when I thought this. Sony had been trying to make this Battle Royale to have a great fighter game of their own and I was just thinking, you've already got a great fighter game if you'd work with Square Enix and make Dissidia cross-playable.
#126rodwipeisdeadPosted 12/30/2012 6:37:43 PM
I thought it was all quite simple. People buy Nintendo handhelds for their kids. Adults play games on their phones. There is no longer a place for something like the Vita.
---
What are all these knobs for?
To put their hands in the air.
#127joblessloserPosted 12/30/2012 6:40:32 PM
Vita's are great. They need to actually focus on releasing all the announced games, that's the problem. The launch was actually better than the 3DS launch IMO, but it's been out for ages now with really nothing to show for it.

Yes the backwards compatible thing is a problem for some people, but when the UMD was around no one seemed to care for it anyway.

It's easy to just sit here and say they should abandon it, but can you imagine a world where there's only Nintendo and Apple running the handheld market? Sounds like a nightmare to me.

Here's hoping Sony can pull through with some miracle and actually sell some units.
#128DrEaM_420Posted 12/30/2012 6:40:42 PM
How did the Wii flop? It sold more then the Ps3 and 360...the DS sold more then both combined.
---
Dream on..
#129LuminescentRulePosted 12/30/2012 6:45:10 PM
FY11 (Jul 2011 to Jun 2012) : Game Operating Income --> 375 Million U.S. dollars

Q2 2012 (Jul 2012 to Sep 2012) : Game Operating Income --> 29 Million U.S. dollars

Seems to me that they are doing fine.

So, no one is going to look at the facts?
---
http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/EmperorLawlight.png
#130Devilman_AmonPosted 12/30/2012 6:46:05 PM
PSP is still doing strong in Japan.

One Piece Romantic Dawn sold 127K copies in the first week alone and that just came out.

Sony is competing with itself never mind Nintendo & iOS....
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)