This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do gamers with a huge blacklog buy games when they have unplayed ones?

#31killakPosted 12/30/2012 7:15:55 PM
Most people do it because they have no self-control but you'll rarely meet an honest one that will actually admit it.

So if a person doesn't admit they do it out of a lack of self control, they're not honest?
---
My instant game collection - http://tinyurl.com/dxq27an
#32mikeda1Posted 12/30/2012 7:19:31 PM(edited)
For me, its the same concept as having hundreds of cable channels. You are never going to watch everything, but you have options to watch what you want when you want it.

I buy games that I know I want to eventually play. I just don't know when I'm going to play it. And I don't necessarily play games in the order I bought them. When the mood hits me to play this game or that, I just pick up and play it.
#33Gam3r777Posted 12/30/2012 7:17:49 PM
For me I play a lot of rpg's and some tend to drag after a while(blame all that level grinding). I've got a BUNCH of PSOne classics like that, but I still play them on occasion when I'm in-between new games.
#34killakPosted 12/30/2012 7:18:42 PM
I buy games that I know I want to eventually play. I just don't know when I'm going to play it. And I don't necessarily buy games in the order I bought them. When the mood hits me to play this game or that, I just pick up and play it.

Same. I also really like having a large collection. Been gaming for most of my life, and having heaps of it is a joy of mine.
---
Me - http://tinyurl.com/bslf5na
#35tigerex777Posted 12/30/2012 7:22:41 PM
I buy games that I know I want to eventually play. I just don't know when I'm going to play it. And I don't necessarily buy games in the order I bought them. When the mood hits me to play this game or that, I just pick up and play it.

Same. I also really like having a large collection. Been gaming for most of my life, and having heaps of it is a joy of mine.

are you really filled with joy by just having a large collection of games? just wondering
---
i5 760 @ 3.8ghz / 4GB DDR3 Ripjaws / GTX 460 SLI @ 800/2000 / Cooler Master GX 750W PSU / Cooler Master Advance II case / Acer 22 1680x1050 / Windows 7 64
#36killakPosted 12/30/2012 7:26:23 PM
are you really filled with joy by just having a large collection of games? just wondering

I said it was a joy of mine. It's something i truly treasure. It doesn't fill me with joy.

I love knowing that if I want to play Last Ninja 2, I can hook up the C64, and fire it up. I like knowing that I can grab Import Tuner Challenge, Spawn: In the Demons Hand, Shenmue, Uncharted, ArmA 2....... anything really. At random, and play it without needing to hunt it down and buy it because I got an itch
---
My instant game collection - http://tinyurl.com/dxq27an
#37kuterPosted 12/30/2012 7:26:58 PM
HaloODSTD posted...
It's not like those new games are going anywhere in the next few months or appreciate in value (for most cases). I mean, think of where that money can go to.

They like to show off.

"Hey look, i got too much money and i waste them on games."
#38joblessloserPosted 12/30/2012 7:27:23 PM
HaloODSTD posted...
but you guys are just adding to a collection that will most likely be never played entirely.....seems like a waste too be honest, like a girl that keeps buying shoes even though she has a collection.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927750-playstation-3/64981863

What's the deal? It seems like you're jealous. You can't afford all the games you want so you criticize others who have lots of unplayed ones. Maybe it's a waste, but don't you think it's better to buy games than to invest money into alcohol, drugs, gambling and other toxic things? People collect stuff, and just because there's unplayed games it doesn't mean it's a waste.

People spend money on their collections. Whether it's stamps, model cars, shoes, clothes, vintage cameras, barbie dolls, whatever it is. People like to collect stuff, do you go and criticize toy collectors for having thousands of unused toys just sitting on a shelf?
#39kingrat2314Posted 12/30/2012 7:28:00 PM
I'm always playing games, and sometimes the games in my backlog just aren't the games I feel like playing. Most of my backlog is PS2 and PS1 JRPGs and SRPGs. I want to play them all, and I do pick out one to play to completion every once in a while, but sometimes I'll want to play an action game or a shooter.

Basically, variety.
---
Never thought I'd see so many people act so proud of having terrible grammar.
#40NintendologicalPosted 12/30/2012 7:42:11 PM
It comes down to impulsiveness, either admittedly or unknowingly. There is a certain high that comes with new game purchases.

A) The high of buying something new
B) The high of a new game experience

Some people buy games and never even open them, because they are buying something else that they wind up devoting most of their hours to. Then you have people who buy new games, play for a few hours, and then the excitement fades when a new title appears. Even though ideally speaking, these games will eventually be played, most people fail to conquer their backlog. I personally instituted a rule where I would no longer buy new games until I complete the ones I own, because it is wasteful, unless you are a collector. If you are a game collector, then it makes sense as to why one would have dozens of unplayed games. Otherwise, people should learn to be more selective of their purchases.
---
Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia