This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do gamers with a huge blacklog buy games when they have unplayed ones?

#51este914Posted 12/30/2012 7:05:23 PM
Nightmare637 posted...
izza20 posted...
1. Limited editions.
2. Niche-ey games that may only have a limited production run.
3. Anticipation for a game beyond anything in their backlog.

If none of those three are satisfied, sure, I'll wait until it's cheaper.

this.

---
-> este914 <-
WHO ELSE?!
#52Killingjoke_666Posted 12/30/2012 7:21:33 PM
on sale RE6 for 20 cant go wrong
---
Otto: Wow! I had Mustard?!
#53justchill433Posted 12/30/2012 7:40:28 PM(edited)
tigerex777 posted...
Most people do it because they have no self-control but you'll rarely meet an honest one that will actually admit it.

This is the only answer.

And to the guy that said he does it because he's not poor, what an idiotic answer. No matter how rich or poor you are, there should be a purpose to what you spend your money on. I want a tablet, but realistically I'll only use it a few times a week for 10mins total. Therefore even though I can afford to buy multiple tablets out of pocket, I refrain from doing so as it serves no purpose other than to say, "Hey I own a tablet."

If I can pay my living expenses, put away money, and still have left over then what's the problem. I like games. I play them for fun. Everybody spends at least a little something on entertainment. Who cares if somebody decides to spend it on games? Like other people said choice is good. Sometimes I get sick of what I'm playing and I take a break with another game. You act like people with backlogs are buying all these games brand new. They aren't. I just added FFXIII-2 to my backlog for $10 new with free shipping and a few Steam games for like $3-$5 each (Probably the lowest they will ever be). I'll get to them eventually, I just like to have a good reserve of games to choose from when I finish one.
---
PSN: s1l3nt_x_cha0s GT: xziT4L3NTZx
*slips of cliff*
#54Res5Posted 12/30/2012 7:41:50 PM
lol @ everyone in this topic trying to micromanage people's money and spending habits through peer pressure and empty accusations of character and even if they are fiscally healthy enough to put any amount of money into games just because they feel like it.
---
My theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBjQ9tuuTJQ
Most people think they are the odd one out but never truly are. I am that one who actually is. :D
#55LightnessZeroPosted 12/30/2012 7:42:47 PM
People do that, everywhere in the world (but SPECIALLY at USA). Learn to accept that. Nobody truly cares if some kid is dying from hunger somewhere else: if it isnt near you or if it doesnt appear at TV, it doesnt exist.
---
Gamefaqs spellchecker doesn't recognize the word Gamefaqs!
#56ps3_gamer_norgePosted 12/30/2012 7:49:23 PM
nclrwntr posted...
tigerex777 posted...
Most people do it because they have no self-control but you'll rarely meet an honest one that will actually admit it.

This is the only answer.

And to the guy that said he does it because he's not poor, what an idiotic answer. No matter how rich or poor you are, there should be a purpose to what you spend your money on. I want a tablet, but realistically I'll only use it a few times a week for 10mins total. Therefore even though I can afford to buy multiple tablets out of pocket, I refrain from doing so as it serves no purpose other than to say, "Hey I own a tablet."

What do you mean "does it"? I never purposely add a game to my backlog, it just happens. I would also like an explanation of why it's an idiotic answer. Someone with a more limited budget than mine I could understand buying games used after its been on the market for a while. I want to support developers. Every game I bought is something I thought I'd enjoy, and I've had a few misses, but I still love gaming as a hobby.

Your tablet analogy is also rather uninspired. Realistically, you have no idea what you're talking about, considering that you don't own one. I have a tablet myself, and it's the only device I use for casual browsing. In fact, im typing this from an ipad. If you truly "can afford multiple tablets out of pocket" and you "want a tablet", I don't see why you don't go out and buy one.
#57teniusthegPosted 12/30/2012 7:54:16 PM
I have to admit, the title is kinda funny.
---
"I couldn't help it. It just popped in there."
"I like your style, Dude."
#58The_Mighty_KELPPosted 12/30/2012 7:54:39 PM
Because they're on sale on Steam for 85% off. That's literally the only reason. I have a huge backlog, but if a game hits that sale price, I'll buy it, because who knows? It could never be that cheap again.
---
Jogurt attacks! Inflicts 1 point of damage on the Goblin. Goblin is defeated! Jogurt gains experience.
...it appears that Jogurt's level has increased to 1.
#59ps3_gamer_norgePosted 12/30/2012 7:56:29 PM
The_Mighty_KELP posted...
Because they're on sale on Steam for 85% off. That's literally the only reason. I have a huge backlog, but if a game hits that sale price, I'll buy it, because who knows? It could never be that cheap again.

You're on the PS3 board, so Steam is irrelevant.
#60GeomagnusPosted 12/30/2012 7:58:27 PM
HaloODSTD posted...
but you guys are just adding to a collection that will most likely be never played entirely.....seems like a waste too be honest, like a girl that keeps buying shoes even though she has a collection.

Yes, but what do you do with them once you have them in the first place, and don't want to play certain ones? Sell them? If you did, you'd get ripped on the price, so there's no point. At some point, there is almost always a point in time where games you are interested stop coming out. THAT is when people usually get started on finishing their backlogs.