This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do gamers with a huge blacklog buy games when they have unplayed ones?

#81The_Mighty_KELPPosted 12/30/2012 11:04:19 PM
ps3_gamer_norge posted...
The_Mighty_KELP posted...
Because they're on sale on Steam for 85% off. That's literally the only reason. I have a huge backlog, but if a game hits that sale price, I'll buy it, because who knows? It could never be that cheap again.

You're on the PS3 board, so Steam is irrelevant.

Topic title is Why do gamers with a huge blacklog [sic] buy games when they have unplayed ones?
I am a gamer.
I have a huge backlog.
I buy games while I have unplayed ones.

I answered the question fairly and honestly, so I really don't see what you have to complain about.
---
Jogurt attacks! Inflicts 1 point of damage on the Goblin. Goblin is defeated! Jogurt gains experience.
...it appears that Jogurt's level has increased to 1.
#82BurgerTime79Posted 12/30/2012 11:14:26 PM
CooperRC posted...
Some people are just idiots. There will always be good new games being released. There is no point in buying things that you have no time to play since you just leave them behind when you die.

Might as well not buy any systems or games at all, because something new will always be coming out and making what you already bought "old". Plus you're going to die in the end anyways. What's the point going to a job and making money if you're just going to give it away to the bank or landlord. Might as well live out on the streets with no possessions and leave the world penniless.
You see how ridiculous that sounds? Don't insult people just because they choose to spend their own money on stuff they want.
---
Gordon Ramsay, the Mr Resetti of cooking
#83CooperRCPosted 12/30/2012 11:20:13 PM(edited)
BurgerTime79 posted...
CooperRC posted...
Some people are just idiots. There will always be good new games being released. There is no point in buying things that you have no time to play since you just leave them behind when you die.

Might as well not buy any systems or games at all, because something new will always be coming out and making what you already bought "old". Plus you're going to die in the end anyways. What's the point going to a job and making money if you're just going to give it away to the bank or landlord. Might as well live out on the streets with no possessions and leave the world penniless.
You see how ridiculous that sounds? Don't insult people just because they choose to spend their own money on stuff they want.

Well, that is one major misinterpretation.

No one is saying not to buy new games.

It is just stupid buying 100 PS3 games during the life of the PS3 if you only have time to play 50 of them since there will always be new systems and games being released. You mine as well just get the best 50 that you have time to play. The other 50 just sit on your shelf as you move onto the PS4, PS5, etc., and then you die.
#84Lightning_fanPosted 12/30/2012 11:23:52 PM
Idk, they bite off more than they can chew? Gaming is not an expensive hobby (atleast compared to many others).

I have beat most the games I have and sell games struggling to get new ones.

Also I can not afford to play XBL :(.
#85justdontaskPosted 12/30/2012 11:28:22 PM
all im getting out of many people with a huge backlog is "i dont have the patience to beat a game, so i start a file, play for 10 minutes, and put it back [on my game library shelf/in the cardboard box full of games/in the closet]. that way, when i tell people i played whatever game, i wont be lying."

really? ok, so no one has said that exactly, but lets face it... the devs make games for the players to actually play it with a goal in mind... not start a file, play a bit, then never touch it again... usually, that goal is to beat some "final boss" and let the credits scroll while you eat dinner or whatever... other times, the goal is to play a multiplayer game with friends and have a good time killing each other, or cooperating together to achieve something (yeah how many friends can actually cooperate with each other?)

ok sure, some people said theyre a collector, well thats fine... but dont call yourself a gamer too... gamers play games, not look at them

i always play any games i get through as much as i can, whether the difficulty curve shoots up too fast and i stop playing because i suck, or i beat the game, or i found out it just aint my kind of game, i do my best to achieve the goals the devs had in mind for me, the gamer

this just irks me... having "more money than time".... if you actually have a job and can support your life on your own, and still have that much money to waste, good for you... but do know that you sound like such an *** by saying that
---
the only part of gamefaqs i like are the walkthroughs for games i like.
trolls avoid large blocks of text they can't criticize for all to see.
#86JC118201Posted 12/30/2012 11:35:15 PM(edited)
Steam Summer and Winter sales. You can't beat those prices anywhere.
---
"Defeat has brought me anger... Anger which leads to victory!"-Sagat
"Your weakness will not satisfy my vengeful rage!"-Sagat
#87RoboPPosted 12/30/2012 11:37:12 PM
Cheap prices.
Finding games you want to get and try to see if want to keep them.
Games you know you want to buy or pre-order.

So fair few reasons for the backlog, it just accumulates on purpose.
#88Sand_CoffinPosted 12/30/2012 11:44:41 PM
So I don't have to worry about finding a certain game in stores later.
#89AvvilPosted 12/30/2012 11:49:19 PM
1. Limited editions.
2. Niche-ey games that may only have a limited production run.
3. Anticipation for a game beyond anything in their backlog.

If none of those three are satisfied, sure, I'll wait until it's cheaper.

Exactly this.
---
"But...her voice when she's in pain is pretty adorable, you know?"
-Saya, Saya no Uta
#90Lightning_fanPosted 12/30/2012 11:56:28 PM
justdontask posted...
all im getting out of many people with a huge backlog is "i dont have the patience to beat a game, so i start a file, play for 10 minutes, and put it back [on my game library shelf/in the cardboard box full of games/in the closet]. that way, when i tell people i played whatever game, i wont be lying."

really? ok, so no one has said that exactly, but lets face it... the devs make games for the players to actually play it with a goal in mind... not start a file, play a bit, then never touch it again... usually, that goal is to beat some "final boss" and let the credits scroll while you eat dinner or whatever... other times, the goal is to play a multiplayer game with friends and have a good time killing each other, or cooperating together to achieve something (yeah how many friends can actually cooperate with each other?)

ok sure, some people said theyre a collector, well thats fine... but dont call yourself a gamer too... gamers play games, not look at them

i always play any games i get through as much as i can, whether the difficulty curve shoots up too fast and i stop playing because i suck, or i beat the game, or i found out it just aint my kind of game, i do my best to achieve the goals the devs had in mind for me, the gamer

this just irks me... having "more money than time".... if you actually have a job and can support your life on your own, and still have that much money to waste, good for you... but do know that you sound like such an *** by saying that

Lol yeah, I mean the only games I put off have been a couple PS2 games Rogue Galaxy and Radiata stories because of memory card space issues.
I mean people can be a collector and a gamer though dude (not that I am a collector lol).