This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do gamers with a huge blacklog buy games when they have unplayed ones?

#91Ampharos64Posted 12/31/2012 12:07:14 AM
HaloODSTD posted...
but you guys are just adding to a collection that will most likely be never played entirely.....seems like a waste too be honest, like a girl that keeps buying shoes even though she has a collection.

Hah, actually, that kind of sums it up. I'm a girl who buys games instead of shoes. XD
Usually it's that I just worry I won't be able to get it later, I want to be sure to get it new to support the developer (especially for the more niche series I follow - even if I don't have time to play the latest release right now, I hate the idea we might not get future ones because it didn't sell well enough), I might want to get a LE, a lot of times I've been waiting for a game to come out for years so am anticipating it eagerly. Since I mainly play JRPGs and it can take me a while to complete one, it just, well, gets out of hand, I can't keep up. And yet I still can't resist buying new games, and new systems (got a PSP for Christmas *Hangs head guiltily*).

I have cut back a little, though, and am trying to clear the backlog (it's nowhere near as bad as some described in this topic, at least). I'm confident enough I'll get to 'em eventually, it may have taken me nearly a year to get round to playing FFXIII-2, but I did complete it once I did.

I am a collector by nature, though, so it may be a factor. I think you either are or you aren't...and those who are should probably be aware of the tendency and keep an eye on it. XD
#92knuxnolePosted 12/31/2012 12:12:19 AM
Instead of wanting to finish current game, the ANTICIPATION/HYPE to jump into a new game.

Especially if there is online, that way you and friends can immediately jump in and have fun

Ex: Black Ops II, Borderlands 2, PSABR, Resident Evil 6
---
3DS FC: 4554-0309-4782
#93DrakillionPosted 12/31/2012 12:13:32 AM
For me, it's impulse. I just love this feeling of getting a new, shiny game. Then I regret buying it now because I played a game from my backlog and it's so much fun, I completely forget about the game that I just bought XD Not so much anymore because I have job now and there are more important things than games now. But yes, that's the reason why I have 18 games in my backlog.

Like right now! My parents bought me Dishonored, Infamous 2, Playstation All-Stars, and Dark Souls. I decided to keep my promise to finishing Dragon's Dogma yesterday and that's all I've been playing. I haven't even opened Dishonored yet.

Then there's that freakin' time sink, Persona 4: Golden.... Yeah, I'm totally *****d :/
---
---
"Dating Yukari Takeba is, like, the closest thing to dating Michelle Ruff, so I don't see the reason why not."- My brother XD
#94realskillz1990Posted 12/31/2012 12:19:49 AM
wow you can tell the insecure people who know they have problems Tc asked a simple question and people start freaking out, lol this is great entertainment.
---
You release your game and it has disc locked content and day 1 dlc I will just buy your game used.
#95coydog_30Posted 12/31/2012 12:30:30 AM
Not sure what huge blacklogs have to do with games, but I'm a big fan of rpgs so there's a lot of niche titles that become harder to get if you don't pre-order or buy them in the first week.

Honestly though, I'm surprised it took as long as it did til the first person mentioned the title, lol.
---
"When life gives you lemons, go murder a clown"~Festus Krex
PSN: coydog_30 GT: TyingDarkDragon
#96Virtue777Posted 12/31/2012 12:41:29 AM
The problem is that...games frequently become rare, at least the ones I'm interested in. I have multiple unopened games that I don't regret buying at all, because now they're going for $100-$500 on amazon (new). I'm a bit of a game collector though, so it's a tad different in my scenario.
---
Coolest guy/gal on the planet: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
#97RollingCradlePosted 12/31/2012 12:44:07 AM
Because those unplayed games turned out to be not as good as was hoped.
#98Magnum_DanPosted 12/31/2012 1:02:13 AM
I backlog for a variety of reasons.

1. I am an odd spender. I will buy a bunch of one subject matter and not again for a long time. Games are no exception. Sometimes, I'll buy a half a dozen or more games within a week and not buy any more for 2 to 4 months.

2 Sometimes multiple games I'm committed to buying come out in a short period of time and I'll end up buying them all in that time but playing one at a time.

3. Half the time games are recommended to me, I end up disliking them, so sometimes I roll the dice on cheap obscure games. Very often, I end up fiddling with another game and put-off trying the game I rolled the dice on.

4. Sometimes it's very financially convenient to buy a game early I intended to get and play later and keep playing what I'm on at the time. For instance, when I last renewed my gamestop membership card, got the buy 2 get 1 free deal. Right now, I am playing one of those 3 and have hardly touched the other 2.
---
'In this great world full of stuff that's neat there is one thing that cannot be beat. It's the feeling so sunny when your squeezing a bunny" ELMYRA DUFF
#99darkness1018Posted 12/31/2012 1:11:12 AM
For me personally, i play every new release i get as soon as i get it. With that said, the games on my backlog are games that i pick up at random times for cheap (like $5-$20). Those will sit in my backlog while i finish the newer releases, then between new releases ill play the older games ive picked up.
---
PSN-nightwing2099
#100SolnotPosted 12/31/2012 1:19:06 AM
I have a huge blacklog and I still buy games because I can. So there.