This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone else think EB/GameStop are killing the industry?

#1hotgirlsarehotPosted 1/1/2013 2:39:42 PM
If I were to pick up some second hand games, the people who made the game will not see one cent from me. Same for anyone else who buys used.

This is the same as "oh, I watched Skyfall on my computer" like it's some kind of a feat in this day and age. Good job, you ripped everyone off who were involved.

Back to games... if you like a game used, rebuy it again brand new, or wait for a sequel (if there is one) and buy THAT new. This is to ensure you're supporting the right people.
#2RioichiCooperPosted 1/1/2013 2:41:53 PM
The games that I buy used are usually next to impossible to find new. In that situation there is nothing wrong with buying used.
---
If your accuracy is over 10%, you're trying too hard.
#3RampantBlattPosted 1/1/2013 2:43:03 PM
The people who made the game don't see much coin when you buy a game "New" either.
#4confettistormPosted 1/1/2013 2:43:22 PM
Casual gaming/ iOS gaming is leeching money and talent away from real games.

That is the real cancer.
I don't see how used gaming is any different from used books or used movies.
#5calhoun1389Posted 1/1/2013 2:47:15 PM
confettistorm posted...
I don't see how used gaming is any different from ... used movies.

Um, movie companies make millions from theater revenue alone. Games don't get the privilege of making millions before being released for personal ownership.
---
My first born, Jackson was born on Friday, May 11, 2012.
My Anime List: http://tinyurl.com/c6ylh9y (Updates regularly)
#6silly_sausagePosted 1/1/2013 2:59:34 PM
RioichiCooper posted...
The games that I buy used are usually next to impossible to find new.

This. I only ever buy games used with good reason. I've never bought a used game just because it's cheaper, even if it's significantly cheaper, I'll always go for new if possible.
---
John Lennon, 1940 - (Infinite Symbol)
PSN: naathaann
#7The_PlagueLordPosted 1/1/2013 3:05:17 PM
Microplay sells all their used games 10$ off of new price.

Your telling me to give them 10$ more money for a shinier box? Or maybe some unused codes for a weapon skin or some crap like that? I will keep my 10$ thank you. Unless i buy 1st week, i will always at least save 10$ on games buying it used.
#8servb0tsPosted 1/1/2013 3:07:09 PM
hotgirlsarehot posted...
If I were to pick up some second hand games, the people who made the game will not see one cent from me. Same for anyone else who buys used.

This is the same as "oh, I watched Skyfall on my computer" like it's some kind of a feat in this day and age. Good job, you ripped everyone off who were involved.

Back to games... if you like a game used, rebuy it again brand new, or wait for a sequel (if there is one) and buy THAT new. This is to ensure you're supporting the right people.

Do you realise more people buy from retail than that companys online store. There is a reason for that and developers an publishers should cry, but rather give a motive or incentive to buy from there store over gamespot instead of punishing consumers.
---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems. 08/18/11 R.I.P Megaman Legends 3
-PS3 FFXIV ARR 2.0 Day 1 Buy I can't wait to maxout Summoner
#9gjc2007Posted 1/1/2013 3:09:03 PM

God dammit, why do we have to have this stupid bull**** pop up on the first ****ing day of the year.
---
Why used games don't hurt the industry and why content passes are bull****: http://umthumbs.gametrailers.com/users/noobiablos/gamepad/?
#10zUkUuPosted 1/1/2013 3:19:44 PM
without the used market the game industry would sell vastly less. people fail to understand that a very high portion of the money flows directly back into the game market for other (often new) games. same goes for "trade in". it also ensures that certain people have jobs - e.g. game stop and whatnot.

also, games are nothing special. you give up the privilege to play the game, just as you give up the privilege to listen to a cd or watch a dvd movie when you sell it.