This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone else think EB/GameStop are killing the industry?

#121SilverWingZetaPosted 1/3/2013 11:05:53 PM
Nicodimus posted...
But I'm done with that now, I still want you to answer my question about what industry has died from used sales.

I never made a comment that implied or stated that any industry had died from used sales.

But since you're going to throw out red herrings, I want YOU to answer my question about hedgehog mating in captivity. Do they do it in daylight or at night?

I own a hedgehog, and they are nocturnal creatures so odds are at night when nothing will eat them after the male sings to the female to get her "ready". Also I NEVER said you made a comment about a dying industry, I asked you to answer a question I asked you since you have 9 years of this knowledge about what industry has died from used sales. Figure you would be the best person to ask, but nope you just deflect.
---
Sometimes I just watch the boards burn
http://thewindyloung.blogspot.com/ (new review Persona 4 Golden)
#122NicodimusPosted 1/3/2013 11:07:00 PM
Nicodimus posted...
But I'm done with that now, I still want you to answer my question about what industry has died from used sales.

I never made a comment that implied or stated that any industry had died from used sales.

But since you're going to throw out red herrings, I want YOU to answer my question about hedgehog mating in captivity. Do they do it in daylight or at night?

I own a hedgehog, and they are nocturnal creatures so odds are at night when nothing will eat them after the male sings to the female to get her "ready". Also I NEVER said you made a comment about a dying industry, I asked you to answer a question I asked you since you have 9 years of this knowledge about what industry has died from used sales. Figure you would be the best person to ask, but nope you just deflect.

I never said anything about an industry dying. There's your problem.
---
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
#123SilverWingZetaPosted 1/3/2013 11:12:57 PM(edited)
king_madden posted...
SilverWingZeta posted...
@Nicodimus

.....Wow dude just wow, so comparing other industries that has used products is off topic. I didn't know we couldn't compare with what the other industries are facing (and feared/sued/campaigned about) about used media sales. Movies/Books/Music all fear used and second hand media just like gaming.

Fine answer this, buying games used has been around 20+ years ago (at least 18 for me), how come in the recent 5 years we are hearing a outcry of publishers getting screwed now?

movies make a lot of money from theater releases.
music makes most of its money from concerts/shows
authors dont invest millions of their money to make a book.

these 3 points make them non-comparable to gaming.

Movies tried to block the sale of VHS and Betamaxes at of fear of recording movies and re-watching them.

Music makers made Cd's unreadable and full of DRM to prevent coping them (even sony did this with rootkits which is a big no no) in the early '00

I wasn't around when the printing press was a big thing, but going by how college book sales work. Publishers like to release a new "edition" to make old ones useless (and I've checked the ones I needed out the old ones where no different). To curb used book sales (which there are stores for that like a gamestop). And I asked professors about this, and yes this is a thing.

But at least you gave a response besides "OFF TOPIC"
---
#124SilverWingZetaPosted 1/3/2013 11:12:24 PM(edited)
Nicodimus posted...
Nicodimus posted...

Holy hell you don't read, I just posted in the post you quoted.

"Also I NEVER said you made a comment about a dying industry, I asked you to answer a question".

I answered your very VERY off topic question you could at least answer mine.
---
#125NicodimusPosted 1/3/2013 11:15:31 PM
Nicodimus posted...
Nicodimus posted...

Holy hell you don't read, I just posted in the post you quoted.

"Also I NEVER said you made a comment about a dying industry, I asked you to answer a question".

I answered your very VERY off topic question you could at least answer mine.

It was rhetorical. It was meant to show how foolish your red herring was. I will answer your question, though. No industry that I can think of has. Music sales are dead, but that was from straight up illegal downloading, not used sales.
---
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
#126SilverWingZetaPosted 1/3/2013 11:29:31 PM(edited)
@Nicodimus

Yep silly me comparing and contrasting similar industries with they same fears the game industry has when second hand media/used media became more widespread for them. Which when boiled down to a basic topic it's about sales of used goods vs new goods. While you ask a stupid question about the biology of a hedgehog. Your the only one calling it a red herring so for, at least the other dude answered my response. And even if we talked nothing but Gamestop and EBgames they have been around years ago (2002 is the longest back I can remember), and no publisher whine about losing money to them until 5-6 years ago.

Thank you for answering my question and proving my point, as the past has shown with other forms of media, used copies does not mean death for a industry.
---
#127NintendologicalPosted 1/3/2013 11:53:29 PM
First sale doctrine. That is all.
---
"Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#128hotgirlsarehot(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2013 12:08:30 AM
Huh, so I noticed someone else also made a similar topic:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927750-playstation-3/65087217
#129AnonymousFriendPosted 1/4/2013 8:45:03 AM
SilverWingZeta posted...
king_madden posted...
SilverWingZeta posted...
@Nicodimus

.....Wow dude just wow, so comparing other industries that has used products is off topic. I didn't know we couldn't compare with what the other industries are facing (and feared/sued/campaigned about) about used media sales. Movies/Books/Music all fear used and second hand media just like gaming.

Fine answer this, buying games used has been around 20+ years ago (at least 18 for me), how come in the recent 5 years we are hearing a outcry of publishers getting screwed now?

movies make a lot of money from theater releases.
music makes most of its money from concerts/shows
authors dont invest millions of their money to make a book.

these 3 points make them non-comparable to gaming.

Movies tried to block the sale of VHS and Betamaxes at of fear of recording movies and re-watching them.

Music makers made Cd's unreadable and full of DRM to prevent coping them (even sony did this with rootkits which is a big no no) in the early '00

I wasn't around when the printing press was a big thing, but going by how college book sales work. Publishers like to release a new "edition" to make old ones useless (and I've checked the ones I needed out the old ones where no different). To curb used book sales (which there are stores for that like a gamestop). And I asked professors about this, and yes this is a thing.

But at least you gave a response besides "OFF TOPIC"

As stated before, all of those other media industries have a primary form of revenue that brings in their money. Publishers selling to retailers who sell to consumers is the only form of revenue. If a new game doesn't sell, retailer might stop buying games from that publisher or developer. If a developer doesn't have their games sell a certain amount, they might get a reduced budget for their next title or get closed down completely. It not the money that's important, it's what the money represents. No matter how great something is and how much praise it gets, if the numbers aren't there, then it's gone.

Think about all the great games and TV shows that are gone because the numbers weren't good.
---
Nothing is over-rated. Your opinion is just outnumbered.
PSN ID/Gamertag - AnonymousFriend
#130PStrifePosted 1/4/2013 9:46:26 AM
I get a good laugh at how developers and publishers live in world where their is imaginery moneys being lost by used game sales and they then have the audacity to blame their very clients/customers for everything these days. Clearly they don't even want their clients (if you buy a product from a source yearly you are one) anymore and don't understand the importance of keeping their customers/clients happy anymore.

Looking at this from a sales perspective. Lots of financial suicide has been happening lately for some reason by people that have never once even taken a simple business or sales courses with their terribly thought out words in media.

Why these companies (mainly American) forcing their customers/clients to leave them? Did they really not like the constant stream of money they were receiveing annually? It makes no sense.

People were giving these companies monies for years. Only to have them be smartypants know-it-alls trying to change their very customer/client's relationship, when it was never asked to be changed. Yet it is now somehow a shock that companies a bleeding money these days when they are being run poorly.