This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

YLOD tips please!

#1fvzzPosted 1/1/2013 3:30:04 PM
Basically, I am not here to discuss what causes it/why. No trolling or anti Sony s---, please.

I am just afraid that my PS3 will fry soon. I only just noticed the yellow light today (after experiencing it's "symptoms") but my PS3 actually managed to turn on when i started it via the eject button. It is one of the 60gb models, bought brand new, getting up there in age.

I just want to know what I can do to best back up saves, etc.

I'm tight on money right now (I'm a broke student) but I can at least afford a PS+ account. Would that be a smart investment?

Also, should I send in my PS3 for repairs? I don't think I can afford a new one right now, f---.
#2DarknessXSeekerPosted 1/1/2013 3:33:15 PM
With PS+ you can save up to 1000MB of data I think, I may be wrong but that's what I remember. And I would not recomend sending your PS3 in for repairs, from what I have heard it will probably Yellow Light again in about 2 or 3 months.
---
"You're gonna get shown the door, old man."
#3u_madPosted 1/1/2013 3:38:18 PM
If you have protected saves that you want to keep, then yes it's worth it. Otherwise, just copy all of them to a USB and discard the others. II didn't want to dish out money for plus back then, but now with the instant game collection, I probably would have signed up for it.

You could repair your ps3 but its not gonna be permanent, it will ylod again. You can fix it yourself with a heat gun so if budget is gonna be a problem, I would think hard about doing it yourself. I'm the most useless guy out there with hands on stuff but I did it easily with the help of youtube.

Something you can try now is to replace the ps3 thermal paste to improve your ps3s cooling, it might delay the ylod for you.

Also are you sure you got the ylod and not green? Because afaik there are no immediate symptoms of ylod, it just happens and when it does it is not possible to turn on.
---
"Oh it's not that bad, look, I have my own bucket!"
http://i.imgur.com/LFuql.jpg
#4fvzz(Topic Creator)Posted 1/1/2013 3:51:07 PM
Thanks for your tips.

Also, which youtube videos could I check out? Which did you use, rather? I don't want to watch a video that's gonna steer me in the wrong direction.

I'm pretty sure I saw a yellow-green light come on. It's been doing that thing where it turns off and the red light flashes for a good bit. After repeated attempts to turn it on, it would finally start, but today I swear the light turned yellowish.

As I said in my first post, it managed to come on anyway when I used the eject button (to eject Far Cry 3), but I don't know how much longer it's gonna last. Been acting funny for about 1 month or less.
#5u_madPosted 1/1/2013 4:00:58 PM(edited)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu3QU8xWxI8

I used that video. To open up the PS3, then I used "ylod fix pdf" for instructions on how to fix the YLOD.

Coincidentally, flashing red means overheating IRC, so if you try to replace the thermal paste now (subject of the video I sent you) it might help you.

Also I'm not sure if you follow the video that it will guarantee prevent your YLOD, in fact I sort of doubt it.
---
"Oh it's not that bad, look, I have my own bucket!"
http://i.imgur.com/LFuql.jpg
#6fvzz(Topic Creator)Posted 1/1/2013 4:13:36 PM
im sure it's a heat issue, but i've never heard the fan come on loudly at the start, nor have i gotten the overheating message though.

i have heard the fan turn on loudly while gaming. it's happened in far cry 3 (recently) and i think battlefield 3 and RE5 (not so recent).

it turned on yesterday completely fine. but I gotta be prepared for the worst.

Thanks for the link
#7Mr EindsPosted 1/1/2013 7:35:51 PM
i got the ylod like 3 months ago, with no warning whatsoever :-(

I would recommend the ps+ cloud save route, since it's pretty quick and painless.

if you can afford it, send your system to gophermods. they weren't able to save my system, but i didn't send it to them until after i tried to fix it myself, and then had a local shop try. Gophermods are a total class act and if i run into any issues with my new ps3, they'll get first crack at it. but whatever you do, do it fast - losing all your saves really sucks.
---
PSN ID: CaffeineGenius
#8keybladeXIIIPosted 1/1/2013 7:39:53 PM
You wanna know the best tip?

*SPOILERS*

GET A SLIM.

Seriously though it will make your life 100000x better and you probably won't have to worry about YLOD again.
---
I hate seeing sigs with PC specs on them.
PSN: tookhster ------ Proud owner of a Wii, PS3, 360, 3DS, Vita, and now a Wii U!
#9GFqsGangsterPosted 1/1/2013 10:44:11 PM
Heres a tip

Pray
---
"everyone's making awful games," - Keiji Inafune (2010 Tokyo Game Show)
#10McSnarledPosted 1/1/2013 11:46:10 PM
keybladeXIII posted...
You wanna know the best tip?

*SPOILERS*

GET A SLIM.

Seriously though it will make your life 100000x better and you probably won't have to worry about YLOD again.

This these are well built and after two years sounds great still, Just froze twice and a third because of a PSN error the other two were on a skyrim game... go figure.