This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

God of War overrated?

#11arstosPosted 1/1/2013 10:45:57 PM
i just can't seem to enjoy hack n'slash games, god of war, devil may cry, ninja gaiden, none of them seem to hold my attention. the only one i've managed to beat before getting bored was rygar the legendary journey
---
PSN: dragonlibrarian plays; Awesomenauts, Skullgirls, Jojo's HD, SSFIITHDR, SFIII: OE, MVC2, AH3, KoF 94/95/96/XIII, VF5:FS, P4A, GGXXAC+HD, CS:GO, UTIII
#12wstfldPosted 1/1/2013 10:49:48 PM
I doubt David Jaffe had DMC on his mind at all while making GOW. It's mindless yet satisfying fun. It's neither over nor under rated.
---
Last Played: FTL (9.5/10)
Now Playing: XCOM Enemy Unknown, Assassin's Creed 3, FIFA 13, FTL
#13Shy420Posted 1/1/2013 10:52:26 PM
Resolution for 2013 is not to get in to pissing contests over what's over or underrated. Most people realize that it's completely subjective and there is no correct answer.
---
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own.
#14GoreGrossPosted 1/1/2013 11:00:56 PM
I doubt David Jaffe had DMC on his mind at all while making GOW. It's mindless yet satisfying fun. It's neither over nor under rated.

This. God of War finds just as much hate as it does love as of late. It's far from DMC and yet people draw comparisons between the two as if they are in direct competition. God of War will sell well regardless of DMC. DMC will sell well regardless of God of War.

As for DmC, I can't say. Many people could care less that the game can't even lock at 30fps, and are excited about platforming, visuals (which are on the Unreal Engine, to boot) and less punishing gameplay. Even Capcom's developers acknowledged all that.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#15WiiareVenomPosted 1/1/2013 11:04:37 PM
I found the DmC demo to feel about the same as 3 on the collection, other than difference in controls, so I am not sure if the frames thing is as big a deal as they made it out to be....

I like both series. At the end of the day, they are GAMES meant for FUN, and sometimes "mindless" fun is better than "technical" fun, and sometimes it is the other way around.
---
You must let your anger be as a monkey in a pinata, hiding inside with the candy, hoping kids don't breakthrough with a stick.
#16TehTrumpCardPosted 1/1/2013 11:05:56 PM
Personally, I don't care for Hack n' Slashers.

What makes me like GoW even less it that they try to place puzzles and use platforming with the worst jumping I've ever seen (in a Hack n' Slash).

(I've played 1 and 2 halfway and beat 3)
---
If everyone was right who'd be the gigalomaniac? "Whose eyes are those eyes?"
3DSXL FC: 4640-0379-8455 PSN: TehTrumpCard n ReimuHakure-
#17Crimson SkysPosted 1/1/2013 11:10:24 PM
If GoW is overrated then every good game is overrated...
---
"You spoony bard!" -- Tellah (Final Fantasy IV)
#18Kage_AM2Posted 1/1/2013 11:20:30 PM
If you go into it expecting it be a Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden then you might think it's overrated. God of War is a cinematic masterpiece but from a gameplay perspective it's not the best action game.
#19DocDeliciousPosted 1/1/2013 11:23:04 PM
I agree TC.
I understand why people like it but it's far too mindless for my taste. It's just gore and button mashing for the sake of gore and button mashing with a random puzzle thrown in (I use the term "puzzle" very loosely).
My biggest nitpick (other than the difficulty, art "style" and the butchering of Greek mythology) is the QTEs. Normally I don't mind them at all but in GoW they just seem absolutely pointless and it feels as though the developers added them in because they couldn't come up with a creative way for the player to kill certain enemies and are there just to up the "cool factor" for no f****** reason.

They're just generic as all s***.
---
Playing - Far Cry 3, Vanquish, Retro City Rampage, Valkyria Chronicles, Monster Hunter FU, Chrono Cross, Quantum Conundrum, Catherine
PSN: DocDelicious